BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

05-22-2010, 08:30 PM   #23
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

hmmm how did you apply the strong cleaner, that is the step (1 step) to removing the shine.

did you use a sponge or a towel or a brush?

did you get a lather going?

can you post up a shot of the seats?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #24
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Problem solved. By the way if you even detail leather interiors READ THIS whole post! I found one of THE BEST DETAILING products I've ever used - in all seriousness. The shininess on all of my leather, seat and steering wheel, etc. have been COMPLETELY and easily restored to the factory appearance - very flat/matte.

This was not really a problem with the cleaning nor conditioning products. The good news is that a trio of products is not required at all. The essence of this problem is picking up the oily contaminants that do have dissolved dirt in them. Based on this post I tried the Magic Eraser product. I used a bucket of very hot water, with just a bit of the strong LM cleaner added (probably not required, I bet water alone would have worked since the magic is truly in the Magic Eraser, not the cleaner/soap). The sponges supplied with the product from Detailers Domain simply do ZERO lifting up of any contaminants that the cleaner dissolves. Just as the post describes keep rinsing and lifting until the eraser wipes over your leather clean. You will probably begin disintegrating the eraser in just one pass over your entire interior. It will leave some small white balls of the eraser product all over. Fortunately a microfiber towel lifts those and removes any excess water really well (which you don't want sitting on your leather for a long time anyway).

The finish of my leather is so perfect now I don't even want to use a conditioner nor protectant but I will use one. I don't think the product choice here really matters. Just pick a decent one that does not leave a shiny finish (unless of course that is what you want).

Hats of to the fellow who made the post about his E46 M3 steering wheel and the fellow who referred him to Magic Eraser. There will ALWAYS be some of these in my regular cleaning/detailing supplies.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 02:49 AM   #25
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

Zaino FTW

Great leather smell, just apply it and you're done. No other wiping. The leather dries a matte finish.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #26
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Just gave the magic eraser a go....HOLY SHITE!! I had just cleaned my steering wheel with Lexol yesterday, and the amount of dirt that came off with the eraser is insane....

Those Germans... you give them some chemicals and a lab and they make some crazy products!

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 12:10 AM   #27
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
Just gave the magic eraser a go....HOLY SHITE!! I had just cleaned my steering wheel with Lexol yesterday, and the amount of dirt that came off with the eraser is insane....

Those Germans... you give them some chemicals and a lab and they make some crazy products!
Yeah, pretty amazing. Do have a look thought at my main post on this topic. There is some credible evidence from a professional detailer that long term/repeated use of this product will damage your leather. It still seem gentle enough to me for once a year use on only the bad spots but some caution is prudent.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #28
AWFRM3
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Tried the Leather Master trio. Have to say I am very disappointed. There has been a very slight reduction in the shininess in my Fox Red seats.

The worst spots are driver seat, bottom and left bolster. The seats are kept quite clean, I think sweat is my biggest contaminant. With business clothes on even with the (weak) AC I tend to get pretty sweaty. I mean not abnormal or gross, but my shirts are often wet on the back after a longish amount of seat time. On a side note I'd love perforated leather with the in seat AC like the M5.... The only thing I didn't do exactly as per th instructions was the wait period in between the different products. When the prior product looked totally dry I moved on. There is still a really large difference between all the parts of the seats that do not get any contact and those that do. In addition the passenger and drivers seats show a large difference due to use difference. I am seriously wondering if any one who recommended this product successfully took Fox Red seats from shiny finish and restored them back to a nice matte OEM finish. I'm certainly keen on hearing more, perhaps some product or application tips.
I very specifically qualified my praise for Leather Masters, warning you that I had no idea whether it would be effective in re-vitalizing worn leather:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWFRM3 View Post
One caveat -- I've used the Leather Masters since the beginning, so I don't know whether it would be effective in correcting leather that is already heaily worn, as I don't have any experience with that. Leatherique seems to be often-recommended on this forum and others for re-vitalizing worn leather. Good luck.
That said, I'm glad you got the results you wanted.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #29
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWFRM3 View Post
I very specifically qualified my praise for Leather Masters, warning you that I had no idea whether it would be effective in re-vitalizing worn leather
To be clear my leather was not badly worn at all, just badly coated with a combination of sweat, body oil and dirt.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #30
atolius
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 M3 E92 AW/FR DCT ZCP

Leather Master Trio on Fox Red leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsis View Post
Lexol produces a matte finish on Fox Red, as does Leather Masters shampoo.
Eclipsis
Do you have any new feedback after using Leather Master Trio on your Fox Red? i am about to purchase this following your advice on this thread and wanted to see if your comments still hold after extended use.

thanks in advance..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #31
PIMP "E"
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
once the leather is broken in you can never get that brand new look again. thats the thing i dont like about leather.