BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #89
johnL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ_77 View Post
Man you have like a 2 million dollar garage! Wowsers! How the hell do you decide what to drive each day?
I had the fortune of meeting the man at Cars and Coffee once. It definitely is a great collection he has there.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 12:54 AM   #90
atolius
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 M3 E92 AW/FR DCT ZCP

I just received my car from EU re-delivery. I am considering clear bra installation at least on the front. Understand installer is the key here so went straight to some of the respected installers and started getting quotes for full-front with Ventureshield. I'm getting numbers in the north of 2K USD for only front (fenders+hood and bumper)

So considering 2K USD for clearbra for half of the car which will last only 3-4 yrs at best I'm thinking doesn't it make sense to replace the whole bumper or hood when the time comes.

I believe you can find oem hood for 1200usd or so. For bumper i dont have a number but lets presume it is in the range of 1000-1500usd. Even when you throw installation labor etc i think it still makes sense to get hood and bumper replaced when needed. Am i missing something here?

What you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #91
M3prsiv
RACER X
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M3

Have had Clearshield on my AW M3 for almost 2 1/2 years. Not one bit of yellowing or problems. The lines get a little dirty but nothing a little alcohol mixture won't clear up. My installer ecommended Clearshiled over Ventureshield due to the color of my car and could not be happier. I have a dark gray Accord with Ventureshield and it has held up just as well. Price was about $900 per car. Had the full bumper, 40in hood, behind all wheel wells, door cups, lights, mirrors and trunk ledge. $2000 sound like a rip off.
16 M3 Sedan 6spd CCB
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #92
Premier Protective Films
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: one old Mcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by atolius View Post
I just received my car from EU re-delivery. I am considering clear bra installation at least on the front. Understand installer is the key here so went straight to some of the respected installers and started getting quotes for full-front with Ventureshield. I'm getting numbers in the north of 2K USD for only front (fenders+hood and bumper)

So considering 2K USD for clearbra for half of the car which will last only 3-4 yrs at best I'm thinking doesn't it make sense to replace the whole bumper or hood when the time comes.

I believe you can find oem hood for 1200usd or so. For bumper i dont have a number but lets presume it is in the range of 1000-1500usd. Even when you throw installation labor etc i think it still makes sense to get hood and bumper replaced when needed. Am i missing something here?

What you guys think?
It all comes down to what is important for your needs. A partial precut pkg would cost anywhere in the range from $600-$800 depending on the company you choose. Whenever you move into the custom applications and cover the entire panels, then the pricing would move up precipitously.

As you have mentioned, the installer would make a big difference in how the product comes out - precut or custom. So choose based on experience and reputation and not in pricing.

Below is an example of someone who decided to use a company based on pricing solely. The previous installer told him that they too "can do custom just like Premier". Here are the pictures:

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #93
Premier Protective Films
Lieutenant
Rep

This particular installer reinstalled the product 3 times. And according to the customer it was approximately 4-5 hours for each trip. Finally the owner of the vehicle decided to bring it to us after the 3rd attempt.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 01:42 AM   #94
atolius
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 M3 E92 AW/FR DCT ZCP

Custom versus pre-cut install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier Protective Films View Post
This particular installer reinstalled the product 3 times. And according to the customer it was approximately 4-5 hours for each trip. Finally the owner of the vehicle decided to bring it to us after the 3rd attempt.

Thanks for pictures.

One more question what is the disadvantage of using pre-cut clear bra - if any? At the end we are talking about a standard sized and shaped car and pre-cut material should come out even when applied, correct?
I can only think of custom installation giving flexibility in two scenarios
a - if the car has mods like aftermarket hood/bumpers etc which may deviate from oem dimensions
b- if the customer wants specific sections of the car to be covered
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #95
Premier Protective Films
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atolius View Post
Thanks for pictures.

One more question what is the disadvantage of using pre-cut clear bra - if any? At the end we are talking about a standard sized and shaped car and pre-cut material should come out even when applied, correct?
I can only think of custom installation giving flexibility in two scenarios
a - if the car has mods like aftermarket hood/bumpers etc which may deviate from oem dimensions
b- if the customer wants specific sections of the car to be covered
There are limitations to precut applications as there are limitations to custom work as well.

1. not all precuts fit nicely
2. not all so called "custom" installers can install the film properly to make it better than a precut installer
3. if a custom application is performed, granted you find an excellent installer, there would much fewer seams than a precut. The seams on the custom app would be tucked wherever possible

And here are the photos of this very same car completed by us:

Appreciate 0