BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

06-27-2008, 11:55 PM   #45
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd54 View Post
I don't remember saying the M3's engine was better than the GT3's, no need to take it so personally, just because they have one engine that is 0.4L smaller and makes the same amount of power doesn't mean Porsche is an engineering marvel. Keep in mind that the GT3 base price is twice as much as the M3.
Nothing personal nd, just car chit and chatter. So help me out, are you saying BMW's are engineering marvels but Porsches/VWs and other car makes are not?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #46
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Another car that I have zero interest in..... Boy Porsche really innovated here.
Why does a car need to be innovative to be great? There is substance to the phrase, evolution not revolution. To each his own.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 09:26 PM   #47
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
Well, to each his own. Personally I feel Porsche's are a thrill to drive. And dare I say, the 997S is a tad nicer at this than the M3. Of course it's subjective. Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Why does a car need to be innovative to be great? There is substance to the phrase, evolution not revolution. To each his own.

To each of own, respectfully of course....but in my opinion....the 911s have been the same since the 1980s... Rear engine, 6 banger. They have tweaked the suspension, gave it water cooling and an interior that doesn't look like a VW anymore...

But look at the competition.....the E92 M3 is so different and advanced over the E36 M3. Even the Vette, awesome power to weight, went to rear transaxle..... Ferraris can be driven daily now.

I really don't get the appeal of the 911s anymore...I use to love them when I was young and couldn't afford it.
      06-30-2008, 04:06 PM   #48
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 530 Sport

Quote:
Steve Sutcliffe (Autocar) is "blown away" by how good the updated 911 is to drive... and this guy is pretty hard to please.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallp...AR=233451&CT=V
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 06:02 AM   #49
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechoong View Post
Steve Sutcliffe (Autocar) is "blown away" by how good the updated 911 is to drive... and this guy is pretty hard to please.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallp...AR=233451&CT=V
I've seen this, great review! I love the Meteor Grey with the new S II wheels. My sales person, who just returned from the official release in Spain, said that these 19" wheels weigh only 22 lbs. I would assume that that is the front-maybe the rears, but, it's still very good for a cast OEM wheel of that size.

He thought PDK was incredible, especially launch control of course; 6500 rpm launches, oh boy!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #50
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

-

This is a much more significant mid-cycle update to the 997 than I had anticipated. Just PDK alone makes it important. I would expect that Porsche will be able to recoup some margins on US sales due to the strength of the EUR/USD. Which will likely push it out of my (wife's limit) reach ... Oh well, this IS a M3 forum after all!

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 06:05 PM   #51
yemenmocha
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 335i Msport-PPK, 06 M3

I'm fairly new here and cannot believe the level of civility compared to another M3 forum that I've visited for years.

Is this the adult M3 forum? Such calm, polite, & reasonable discussion here... no fanboy moderators? no claims that the M3 is better than the 997S in every conceivable way, and superior to the GTR also? What gives?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #52
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yemenmocha View Post
I'm fairly new here and cannot believe the level of civility compared to another M3 forum that I've visited for years.

Is this the adult M3 forum? Such calm, polite, & reasonable discussion here... no fanboy moderators? no claims that the M3 is better than the 997S in every conceivable way, and superior to the GTR also? What gives?
Welcome to the forum. Don't worry there are plenty of claims that one car is better than another. Just give it time.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #53
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:

It's the European influence. Also, we ejected a few of the big trolls from other forums early on, so we don't have them riling up the base with useless, inane gibberish.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 11:09 PM   #54
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've seen this, great review! I love the Meteor Grey with the new S II wheels. My sales person, who just returned from the official release in Spain, said that these 19" wheels weigh only 22 lbs. I would assume that that is the front-maybe the rears, but, it's still very good for a cast OEM wheel of that size.

He thought PDK was incredible, especially launch control of course; 6500 rpm launches, oh boy!
6500rpm launch using the launch control? Isn't that max power? Doesn't sound right

Nonetheless, I'm very tempted by the updated 997S. Will see how's my bonus this year. Goddamn car will cost me around US$300k on today's exchange rate .
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 11:18 PM   #55
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Welcome to the forum

We have more 335i fanboys bashing M3 here than everything else combined Anyway, the M3 drivers here are a pretty mature and realistic bunch... generally they know where their car stands in the greater scheme of things in performance engineering.

Last edited by dechoong; 07-01-2008 at 11:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 12:05 AM   #56
yemenmocha
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 335i Msport-PPK, 06 M3

Quote:
Welcome to the forum

We have more 335i fanboys bashing M3 here than everything else combined Anyway, the M3 drivers here are a pretty mature and realistic bunch... generally they know where their car stands in the greater scheme of things in performance engineering.
The M3 is a great car. I own the previous model. But the crowd at other forums really makes me want to not own one because the community spoils it. In the e46 forums and forums for other cars I've not encountered such a group of "fundamentalist" apologists for inflated ideas of the car and its performance abilities, especially when compared to other models.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 06:44 AM   #57
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
6500rpm launch using the launch control? Isn't that max power? Doesn't sound right

Nonetheless, I'm very tempted by the updated 997S. Will see how's my bonus this year. Goddamn car will cost me around US$300k on today's exchange rate .
Paragraph eight.

http://www.nextautos.com/2009-porsch...est-and-review

Also, to be noted, the claimed 7:50 N-ring ime is WITHOUT CUP tires. That is very impressive.

Last edited by devo; 07-02-2008 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 08:32 AM   #58
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:

The mods here are pretty good. They don't get involved in debates or trashtalk and shut things down when they get out of control.

Now, let's talk about how our M3s are superior to any other car ever made, which, of course, implies--even proves--that we are better than everybody else... /joke
      07-02-2008, 08:50 AM   #59
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Lucid,

We all know there are some real BMW fanboys on this site but their responses and comments don't usually drive things into the kind of arguments that require Mods to step in. There is nothing wrong with a heated discussion as long as personal name calling stays out of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 09:07 AM   #60
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
The mods here are pretty good. They don't get involved in debates or trashtalk and shut things down when they get out of control.

Now, let's talk about how our M3s are superior to any other car ever made, which, of course, implies--even proves--that we are better than everybody else... /joke
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #61
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Lucid,

We all know there are some real BMW fanboys on this site but their responses and comments don't usually drive things into the kind of arguments that require Mods to step in. There is nothing wrong with a heated discussion as long as personal name calling stays out of it.
Not sure what to make of your post Footie. Sure there is nothing wrong with heated discussions. I am involved in them often. I think we have a pretty good forum here overall, and good mods. That's all I'm saying...

The last sentence in my previous post was sarcasm for people who take their cars (and I mean "cars" in a general sense not just referring to M3s) too seriously. I love my car, and think it delivers serious bang for the buck, but it is what it is you know.
      07-02-2008, 11:14 AM   #62
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Paragraph eight.

Also, to be noted, the claimed 7:50 N-ring ime is WITHOUT CUP tires. That is very impressive.
That is very impressive Now I've got to have one

I do wonder how they manage to launch the 997S at max power without the rear tyres spinning wildly
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #63
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Paragraph eight.

Who developed the Porsche dual clutch, according to this it was ZF? If this is wrong then what else have they got wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #64
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Who developed the Porsche dual clutch, according to this it was ZF? If this is wrong then what else have they got wrong.
Oh, those of little faith. Yes, ZF developed PDK.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:25 AM   #65
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is very impressive Now I've got to have one

I do wonder how they manage to launch the 997S at max power without the rear tyres spinning wildly
I believe that I posted a vid of a launch in either this or the other 997 thread. Anyway, I can look later and find the one I am talking about. The to tires just chirp and the car hooks up really hard. The wide, 295mm tires and rear biased weight really help, of course.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #66
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

What is up with "pushing forward" the buttons to get an upshift and "pulling back" to get a down shift, sounds like a japanese way of doing things. that alone would turn me away from the PDK......and really, the buttons are more like an option you would find in a Mazada (not ripping on those cars mind you because they are good in their own right) trying to appear sporty. Every other "Duel-Clutch" or "sequential manual gearbox" in the world uses paddles.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0