BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

07-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #45
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-videos.com View Post
"
Um, RIGHT? 480hp goes a long way in this GTR.
I have already said this but feel I need to repeat it.

Whether the GTR has 480hp or not is irrelevant, what is important is whether all customer car will have the same amount of performance as these early example have when they arrive.

Nissan has long history of under estimating their true figures on all previous GTR, why would this one be any different.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #46
BMW-videos.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m5, heavily modded c6 corv

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post

Whether the GTR has 480hp or not is irrelevant, what is important is whether all customer car will have the same amount of performance as these early example have when they arrive.

Nissan has long history of under estimating their true figures on all previous GTR, why would this one be any different.
good point, you think the gtr has 620hp? Maybe 550-600? I hope the customer cars come with this kind of power so nissan can hold true to the claims. Another explanation between time differences COULD be aerodynamics but I don't think there's that huge of discrepancy.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #47
BMW-videos.com
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Next, I believe Mizuno was quoted in saying hand cut slick tyres were used for this run. So if infact hey get 500+ HP cars, they won't be getting slicks so it'd be tough to get similar performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #48
BMW-videos.com
Private First Class
Rep

Get a stop watch, or just document the time from the flag to the bridge.

ZR1
flag bridge
6:42:2-7:05.8 23.6
(previous video)

GTR 7:29 (comparison to 7:29 video)
6:45:67-7:08:00 22.33 seconds

So the GTR is equal or faster from point A(flag) to point B(bridge).

At this point the ZR1 is going 144~(flag) 176-177(bridge). I think this area would usually be in the ZR1's strongpoint..

Compilaton:

GTR

end of turn into the straight - flag - bridge

(turnend)6:38:99 - 6:45:67 - 7:08:00
6.68 + 22.33 = 29.01

ZR1

(turn end)6:36 - 6:42:2 - 7:05:8
6.2 + 23.6 = 29.8

----------------------------------------------------
beginning of straight to flag
GTR - 6.68 seconds
ZR1 - 6.2 seconds

Flag to bridge
GTR - 22.33 seconds
ZR1 - 23.6 seconds

TOtal from straight beginning to bridge-
GTR - 29.01
ZR1 - 29.8

Seems the GTR is slower from bunker to the flag, but faster from the flag to the bridge.
ZR1 is faster from the straight beginning to the flag, slower from flag to bridge.

Considering each estimation above is by no means completely accurate, I think you can estimate this GTR is just as fast as the ZR1 in the straights, faster, or marginally slower.
Hold up a second, OMAGAWD NO WAY, does this mean the ZR1 Might HANDLE better than the legendary godzilla, with AWD alien technology, and new R-compound runflat technology? I mean it is a 7:29 vs a 7:26 no?!

Start both videos around the same point, right before the straight. Watch them cross the bridge together.

ZR1
http://www.vette-videos.com/The-Ulti...gyUCOD-tc.html

GTR

Last edited by BMW-videos.com; 07-10-2008 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 11:36 PM   #49
th3Stig
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT500 Eleanor

^
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 11:40 PM   #50
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Relax guys.

Who really F'n cares? Magazine wars, woopy doo.

Buy the car you like, drive and shut up.

There will be faster cars in 1-2-3.... years anyways.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #51
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-videos.com View Post
...Considering each estimation above is by no means completely accurate, I think you can estimate this GTR is just as fast as the ZR1 in the straights, faster, or marginally slower.
Hold up a second, OMAGAWD NO WAY, does this mean the ZR1 Might HANDLE better than the legendary godzilla, with AWD alien technology, and new R-compound runflat technology? I mean it is a 7:29 vs a 7:26 no?!...
There's another issue here. Different days with different conditions, plus the Nissan has a pro driver aboard, and the Vette has a test engineer on board. This is hard to quantify, exactly, but put Jan Magnussen in the ZR1 (assuming his nerves have recovered from that 7:42.9 in the Z06 ), and I'd bet that the ZR1 would be quicker everywhere around the track. In other words, there's more speed yet to be had in the ZR1 if Chevy wants to pursue that.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #52
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
There's another issue here. Different days with different conditions, plus the Nissan has a pro driver aboard, and the Vette has a test engineer on board. This is hard to quantify, exactly, but put Jan Magnussen in the ZR1 (assuming his nerves have recovered from that 7:42.9 in the Z06 ), and I'd bet that the ZR1 would be quicker everywhere around the track. In other words, there's more speed yet to be had in the ZR1 if Chevy wants to pursue that.

Bruce
Not necessarily, test driver are usually as skilled as many a racing driver and they generally know more about the behave of the car in question than any pro racing driver coming fresh to a car with little or no down time.

The ring is unlike any other track, it's temperature can vary from one part of the track to another, same for the weather, it's so long that every single lap is different. What you get with a ring time is that is the quickest the car could do on that particular day at that particular time, that's all.

Use ring times as a gauge, nothing more, that's what the manufacturers do.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #53
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Not necessarily, test driver are usually as skilled as many a racing driver and they generally know more about the behave of the car in question than any pro racing driver coming fresh to a car with little or no down time...
I would certainly agree that a test driver can be very skilled, but in most of the cars, most of the time, a hired assassin will be faster. That's what they're paid for, and that's what they do.

Is this unequivocal?- Certainly not. But there's this old "proverb" I like to quote from time to time:

"The battle doesn't always go to the strong, nor the race to the quick - but that's the way to bet."

Bruce
Appreciate 0