BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

09-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Do i need a detailer spray for clay bar?

I'm new to using a clay bar.
When I bought my clay bar, in the package was also included a detailer spray. I had to spray the detailer spray before using the bar.

My question is, in the future, after I run out of the detailer, do I need to use a detailer before i use the clay bar? Or can i just use water?

After my first experience, i realized I got ripped off! I should have just bought the clay bar and if needed the detailer seperately. My package also included wax which I didn't need.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
dr.jay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135

ONR is a great clay lube, if you are really against buying anything else, use a little shampoo and mix it with water in a spray bottle.
      09-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

You certainly need something other than water. Water won't do a good enough job of lubricating the finish so the clay can easily glide. At the same time, you don't need to cough up major coin to get an effective clay lube. Mix up some of your car wash shampoo with water in a spray bottle, or even baby shampoo with water in a spray bottle.

You'll see its easy to run out of the detail spray - its important to use plenty of lube with claying your car. Don't worry about that though and use one of these back-up methods so you have as much lubricant for claying in the future as you need.
Appreciate 0