BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

12-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #991
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
that would be pretty sweet if it was all in the trunk. one of the things i'm curious about is how compressible the nitrogen is in this application. i think it would be really cool to have the reservoirs extend into an area like the passenger footwell hugging the center console... and the rears somewhere around the rear climate controls. being able to adjust even one setting "on the fly" would be cool (although you wouldn't actively do this while driving). i don't know if this is viable or not.
i would wonder about noise... do these reservoirs make noise as the fluid pushes through the valves?
Sometimes they run the rear lines to a point in the back seat area that's pretty easy to reach, but not like what you said. Those oil lines are pretty expensive. The longer they get the more $$$ you spend.

I'm sure the engine, exhaust and track noises will far surpass any fluid noises from a damper. Plus, once a car gets loud enough, you'll probably wear ear plugs. I always have ear plugs in these days.

But enough silly questions. When are you gonna commit???
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #992
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Lol I'm working on optimizing some debt. I'm in a good situation right now and want to get rid of anything I'm laying interest on- no matter how small.
It's going to be just a little bit, but I'm good about rewarding myself along the way.

I got in on that karbonius group buy. I figure I'm going to lust after it until I get it, so I might as well save money and get it now.

After that, I need to meet a few goals before the next car part I reward myself with.
      12-11-2018, 07:34 PM   #993
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep
Drives: Its a M3

I think running a true coil over in the rear is going to limit the tire you can squeeze in there. You will be fighting with space like the front and you cant run 4 degrees camber in the rear. I don't think its worth it. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 11:53 PM   #994
Estragon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Beef: I'm running MCS 2W Remotes as a true coilover in the rear. There is room to spare with a 11" ET25 Apex EC-7 wheel with 2.3 degrees of camber. The rebound adjuster sits right above the mount on the lower control arm and is within easy reach. Compression adjusters sit on the remote canisters. I'd post pictures but the format of the ones I have aren't compatible here. I can email you pics if you like.
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11583.00
XCUSE_M3142.50
      12-12-2018, 12:27 AM   #995
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estragon View Post
Beef: I'm running MCS 2W Remotes as a true coilover in the rear. There is room to spare with a 11" ET25 Apex EC-7 wheel with 2.3 degrees of camber. The rebound adjuster sits right above the mount on the lower control arm and is within easy reach. Compression adjusters sit on the remote canisters. I'd post pictures but the format of the ones I have aren't compatible here. I can email you pics if you like.
I'm glad someone who's got the full MCS setup finally chimed in. I'm glad to hear that an 11" rim with -2.3º camber fits. To complete the picture, what size tire do you put on that 11" rim?

Did you have a choice of damper bodies? Could you have gotten a damper body config with the rebound knob at the top in the trunk instead of down at the control arm?

As far as ease of reach---I just went out to my E92 M3 in the garage to check out that rebound knob location. The area is reachable with the car [that has lowering springs] on the ground, but you need to be laying down on the ground almost on your back to reach it and be able to turn a dial. Does the location of that dial require you to fit your hand between the two control arms to rotate the dial? Or is it above the two control arms? Anyway, having to lay on the ground on each side of the car to change rebound settings is something at least worth knowing about before jumping into rear coilovers. (To be clear, I'm certainly not bagging on MCS. JRZ has the adjuster in the same spot on true coilovers. In fact, the MCS dial looks easier to access than JRZ's tiny spindle. Back in 2012, the JRZ coilover required you to insert a skinny allen wrench into a tiny hole and rotate it. Is that still the same these days? The MCS picture I referenced above looks friendlier for spinning it with your finger.)
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2018, 11:12 PM   #996
Estragon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

This is with 295/35-18 BF Goodrich G-Force Rivals. For the track I go 275/35-18 square on 10" Apex SM-10s.

The dampers have to be ordered either for coilover or divorced setup. I'm not sure if the adjuster can be had on the top. I don't think so, though. In any case it takes literally 30 seconds to get under the car to adjust rebound. Super easy to rotate the knob. It sits right above where the damper bolts on to the mount on the control arm and is very accessible. I would definitely not let this be a consideration as to whether to go coilover or divorced, if there were in fact a difference.
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11583.00
XCUSE_M3142.50
      12-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #997
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
good to know, thanks. probably super easy to reach around and adjust while you're doing a wheel swap for the track in the morning.

there always tends to be debate on if a true rear coilover is better or not. i'll split hairs and make that call when it comes time to make the purchase. sounds like tire fitment isn't an issue.
      12-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #998
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
This is with 295/35-18 BF Goodrich G-Force Rivals. For the track I go 275/35-18 square on 10" Apex SM-10s.

The dampers have to be ordered either for coilover or divorced setup. I'm not sure if the adjuster can be had on the top. I don't think so, though. In any case it takes literally 30 seconds to get under the car to adjust rebound. Super easy to rotate the knob. It sits right above where the damper bolts on to the mount on the control arm and is very accessible. I would definitely not let this be a consideration as to whether to go coilover or divorced, if there were in fact a difference.
Second that, that's where the adjuster on my sachs shocks is and it's easy once yuo've done it once to find quickly by feel. Might suck in the rain in a muddy paddock spot but otherwise, no bigs
      12-14-2018, 03:06 PM   #999
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

My MCS 2WNR has the adjusters on the top, so in the trunk in the rear and the engine bay in the front

The remote reservoir MCS I also have adjust everything on the remote reservoir

The JRZs I used to have had one adjustment in the bottom of the shock. Always entertaining to get burnt by the rotor when messing around down there adjusting...
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11583.00
      12-14-2018, 09:59 PM   #1000
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
My MCS 2WNR has the adjusters on the top, so in the trunk in the rear and the engine bay in the front

The remote reservoir MCS I also have adjust everything on the remote reservoir

The JRZs I used to have had one adjustment in the bottom of the shock. Always entertaining to get burnt by the rotor when messing around down there adjusting...
Are either of them true coilovers?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #1001
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Are either of them true coilovers?
No. I'd need a full cage so the rear shock towers are reinforced. I hear different opinions on that topic
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #1002
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
No. I'd need a full cage so the rear shock towers are reinforced. I hear different opinions on that topic
Yeah, so do I.......

My opinion is: better to be safe than sorry on that one if you push the car hard.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #1003
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
With the last event of Bimmer Challenge arriving this Saturday Dec. 22, I figured it would be fun to take one more look at the upcoming event now that the signups are looking more complete and the weather forecast is set. I got quite a bit of nice feedback from the first recap, so I figured it would be fun to take one last look before the event. So, here’s how things are looking:

First let’s talk weather. I’m happy to report that the weather is looking INCREDIBLE. If you’re asking me, it’s ideal conditions, Partly Sunny with a high of 59ºF and no wind. You cannot ask for better. I believe that around 52ºF is the best conditions for setting new personal bests. The engine pulls like a monster and the track surface provides enough grip for the tires to hold. The tires could benefit from a warmer surface, but the warmer it gets, the less the engine pulls. So you gotta find that balance between horsepower and grip. My experience over the last 7 years tells me temps in the low 50’s gives you that. I have run decent laps in the 40’s but the track surface is a bit less predictable.

Ok, who has signed up since I wrote the first recap? Answer: EVERYONE!! Haha!! It’s on, baby! I thought that maybe three days before Christmas, some people might not be able to make it. But no, there’s going to be a lot of unhappy girlfriends, wives, kids and parents. And I’m sure this is how the conversation went in every house. “So, wait, you’re going to the track on the last Saturday before Christmas??!!!!!! Are you f**king crazy!??? What the Hell??? WHY??!!!” The answer: “BECAUSE RACECAR!!!! MY SERIES PODIUM SPOT IS AT STAKE!! STAND OUT OF MY WAY!!!!!” Conversation over. (Might get coal in our stockings though…..)

B5: Michael Favuzzi has this one wrapped up. Robert Choo and Tony Gosorn are tied for 2nd. I don’t see either of their names on the sign ups. The whole podium looks locked.

B4: This is definitely going to be an entertaining Class to watch. There are at least 8 guys signed up. Mike Clark has this Class won already. But the chase for overall 2nd and 3rd has so many possibilities, it’s impossible to work through them all. Mike did sign up, so it looks like his brother Matt has his work cut out for him if he wants to podium. I’ve been told Steve Lee did sign up and that Tom Tang has the potential of being fast. So, Tim Pedone, John Lee and Matt Clark are looking for the series podium, but have to go up against Mike Clark, Steve Lee and Tom Tang who are all threats to steal points that day. It is going to be a wild ride in B4.

B3: I’ve already described the situation between Alex Goodrich and Brian Namniek. Both guys signed up. The battle for 1st is on! Simon Chiu is also signed up. If Simon had just attended one more event during the season, B3 would have been a 3-way slug-fest for 1st. Regardless, B3 will be a great Class to watch.

B2: Charbel Elian put the hammer down in B2 all season long and secured the series win back in Round #8 (out of the 11 Rounds). And still, he kept attending and driving and winning. That is some solid motorsport passion! Serhan Emre is good for 2nd. Elie Mansour deserves a mention here because he is an excellent driver, but his car was down for a good part of 2018. He won Round #1 at Chuckwalla in B2 against Charbel. But then he missed the next 6 events in B2 with tech issues. It would be great to see Elie out there for a full season with a healthy car. Would make for some good B2 fireworks!

B1: Alex Chang and Gabe Shadid (me) are all signed up for Saturday. On my end, all I can say is that I’m eager to put some good laps down on Saturday. The weather looks good and I have good tires, so I’m hopeful that a PB is possible. On Facebook, Alex was [jokingly] hoping for rain and offering people hotdogs to block me….hehe (I countered [also jokingly] by offering people hamburgers to distract Alex in the pits and have him miss his sessions….haha!) Looking at 3rd place, James Paick is at 40 points with his best 7 out of his 8 events. Joe Yang is not signed up yet. But if Joe showed up and did well enough, he could bump James out of 3rd. For example, if Joe got 1st or 2nd, he would have 44 or 42 points. And if James got 4th (behind Alex, Joe and Gabe), he would swap a 4 point result from Round #1 with a 5 point result in Round #11 and end up with a total of 41 points. Not only is Joe competitive, he is also an organizer/sponsor of Bimmer Challenge. I would not be surprised at all to see him on Saturday. (Yes yes, I know he had a baby recently too.)

So, there’s my final take on how the weekend looks. I’m looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend. And then once I fly home, I’ll be on the lookout for coal in my Xmas stocking…..

PS. (I will attempt to do a roundup of the weekend's results soon after the event, but as soon as I fly home, it will be full-on Holiday madness with family and friends staying with us. I might have to write it during the flight home..... )
Appreciate 2
redpriest2145.50
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      12-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #1004
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Good luck this weekend!

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #1005
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Good luck this weekend!
Thanks Tom!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #1006
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
On Facebook, Alex was [jokingly] hoping for rain and offering people hotdogs to block me….hehe
Wait...so collusion?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 03:12 PM   #1007
SignatureJames
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M5 Competition

this is gonna be exciting! We've been attending a good portion of this season but this will be the only one we won't be able to make... But we have great brand ambassadors kicking butt all season!

1992 Acura NSX / 1998 Acura Integra Type R / 2023 BMW M5 Competition / 2019 Porsche Cayenne S / 2023 Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 06:05 PM   #1008
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignatureJames View Post
this is gonna be exciting! We've been attending a good portion of this season but this will be the only one we won't be able to make... But we have great brand ambassadors kicking butt all season!
Yeah, I think it's cool that the final day has a number of podium slots still up in the air. Makes it interesting.

I guess it's worth mentioning for people that don't know but may be curious, Speed Ventures uses an app called Race Hero to live-broadcast results. Race Hero also has a website: Race Hero site It works quite well most of the time, showing live results on-track, along with Results from previous sessions.

A few weeks ago at Chuckwalla, for part of the day, Race Hero wasn't live-broadcasting for some reason; we had to wait at least 15 minutes after each session for the results to pop up in the Results section of Race Hero. Given that everyone is used to getting live results, waiting for 15 minutes after a session ends is definitely a bit of a nail biter! I ran my fast lap right at the beginning of a session, so we all waited almost 30 minutes to find out the official time.

Anyway, Race Hero is cool. I hope it's working on Saturday! Sorry you can't make it out!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 05:16 AM   #1009
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignatureJames View Post
Yeah, I think it's cool that the final day has a number of podium slots still up in the air. Makes it interesting.

I guess it's worth mentioning for people that don't know but may be curious, Speed Ventures uses an app called Race Hero to live-broadcast results. Race Hero also has a website: Race Hero site It works quite well most of the time, showing live results on-track, along with Results from previous sessions.

A few weeks ago at Chuckwalla, for part of the day, Race Hero wasn't live-broadcasting for some reason; we had to wait at least 15 minutes after each session for the results to pop up in the Results section of Race Hero. Given that everyone is used to getting live results, waiting for 15 minutes after a session ends is definitely a bit of a nail biter! I ran my fast lap right at the beginning of a session, so we all waited almost 30 minutes to find out the official time.

Anyway, Race Hero is cool. I hope it's working on Saturday! Sorry you can't make it out!
NASA switched from Race Monitor to RaceHero a few years ago. It's a real nice app. It lets me monitor NASA races across the country especially at tracks I have driven to see what similar cars are up to.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 08:03 AM   #1010
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
NASA switched from Race Monitor to RaceHero a few years ago. It's a real nice app. It lets me monitor NASA races across the country especially at tracks I have driven to see what similar cars are up to.
Yeah I like Race Hero better than Race Monitor as well. Race Monitor’s user interface is clunky at best. Finding previous sessions is like an Easter Egg hunt. The whole experience in Race Hero is simply more intuitive for me.

Hopefully the Live Timing this weekend will actually be Live!!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #1011
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Just a quick update from the series finale of Bimmer Challenge yesterday.

I am pleased to report that I was able to win the day and win the overall series in the B1 Class. No new personal best but I ran a respectable 1:47.9.

It was a fun and social day with quite a few interesting things going on. I will write about it soon, but I'm waiting on the event organizers to give me results from the day.

More to come!

Again, thanks to all the guys who helped organize the series this all year!
Appreciate 7
roastbeef11583.00
Todd0131379.50
kyippee1072.00
LatifE90265.00
derbo3605.50
519.E82245.00
      12-23-2018, 12:34 PM   #1012
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Congrats, dogbone!

Why does the trophy have a welders helmet on it?

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0