BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

05-03-2021, 08:43 PM   #2817
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It's both! That's how policing works. That's the whole concept behind reasonable suspicion and probable cause. It can't be reined in because you'd effectively disable policing. Without the ability to be proactive, what's the point of having police?!? We are already primarily reactionary as it is. Do you not want cops to be proactive and look for crime/criminals?!? I can tell you with absolute certainty that absent a call for service, proactive fishing is how you catch bad guys.
I get it. The problem I have is that you cast your net far and wide to catch the bad guys before they act again, but you also catch us non-criminals (non-violent criminals). The people you are looking for make up less than 1% of the population, but the laws, and police tactics apply to 100% of the population. And you will absolutely use your abilities to apply pressure to the non-violent criminals if they are "behaving like an ass."

As an experienced officer, you may be able to target certain areas, neighborhoods, car types, etc., that are more likely to contain the bad guys, but you will still catch good guys, too. The bad guys don't care if you use targeted enforcement, or your gut feeling, or whatever to catch them. They are used to being caught and dealing with the system. We good guys are not used to any of that, so we are much more likely to criticize or complain about the cop's "forceful" (my word) tactics. Which is kind of why we are where we are today.

The public has a pretty low opinion of law enforcement these days. It isn't all because of cops shooting "unarmed" bad guys. Or because cops botch an arrest and the suspect dies. Or because the FBI does a no-knock raid on a guy suspected of tax fraud. Those are just high-profile, rare cases.

I think that most people feel intimidated whenever they have to interact with the police. I know I do. Police officers aren't friendly. They are professional and direct to the point of being short, but friendly is not part of it. Also, like you said, many cops are searching for a bigger criminal. Maybe those cops push a little harder with the verbal judo to get a suspect to slip up, which seems like the cop is being a hard-ass to the person being stopped.
I get your point, and you're really not wrong, but it is more nuanced than that (...I think I like that word, lol!). Sure, the net catches good people too, but some good people deserve a receipt for their actions (...like the woman I mentioned not long ago who blew through the stop sign with her infant child in the vehicle AND who proceeded to lie to me about being licensed to drive). My objective is the overall safety of the community. Sometimes that intention manifests itself by pulling over cars likely to be driven by gangsters and sometimes it's me pulling over the car driving down the street with no headlights on after dark.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 08:43 PM   #2818
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Fine!!
But no banana pics, pls.
No "banana" or banana hammock pics either!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      05-03-2021, 08:46 PM   #2819
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
It was a real problem here before legalization, people were smoking everywhere and producing their prescriptions. It was getting ugly because they were being really belligerent about it.
I have a friend in TO that has toked for 35-40 years. She works at a private school (admin, not a teacher) and she still buys her weed from her dealer. She's worried that if she buys it legally she'll end up on some kind of list that may, somehow, come to the attention of the board at the school and jeopardize her position. I can't make her understand that continuing to buy from her dealer is far riskier than buying it from a licensed vendor.
      05-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #2820
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Quote:
Fine!!
But no banana pics, pls.
Lol! That picture is from about 5 years ago when a buddy of mine was in the CHP academy. Ohhhh the shenanigans.
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12792.50
      05-03-2021, 08:54 PM   #2821
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Well damn....

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CObducr...=1lnbmup3et9no

I would have written her for everything I could find, including 12951(a) CVC (..driving without a valid driver's license in your possession). I would have inconvenienced her as much as lawfully possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 08:55 PM   #2822
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
No instagram... what's up?
vreihen1615122.50
      05-03-2021, 09:04 PM   #2823
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemansE90335xi View Post
Quote:
No instagram... what's up?
Just some crazy lady on a traffic stop. I'll see if I can find it on YouTube.
Appreciate 1
Buug95917156.00
      05-03-2021, 09:07 PM   #2824
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Crazy or the new norm ?
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24971.50
rebekahb3130.00
Littlebear3509.50
      05-03-2021, 09:10 PM   #2825
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
Crazy or the new norm ?
The latter. Thankfully I've never run into anybody as bad/verbally abusive as her, but I've come close.
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      05-03-2021, 09:11 PM   #2826
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
That depends.

The Liquor Licence Act says that you can consume alcohol in or on private property, a common area or a licensed premise. Common area is the hallway or an apartment building or say the front lawn of your condo property.

It is an offence to consume alcohol on public property, so the street or in a park, or in a motor vehicle. The fines aren't very big (except in a motor vehicle) and you'll also get your booze seized. Having said that, it's legal to smoke a blunt anywhere you like practically, so I suspect most coppers would ignore it but please don't leave your empties on the road or in the park.

I normally cautioned folks when I got them drinking where they shouldn't, unless they failed the attitude test.
Thanks - yeah, I always bring my empties home, admittedly I recycle them even though I could return for my deposit, but I don't leave them on the side of the road for sure. My neighbour obviously feels as safe as I do, as I've often caught him out there in the middle of a walk doublefisting it too. We've become good friends, he and I.
Appreciate 2
Littlebear3509.50
Murf99314114.00
      05-03-2021, 09:43 PM   #2827
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

What do you guys (Leo's) Think about the 10 mm as a service SideArm?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      05-03-2021, 09:45 PM   #2828
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Just a big thank you all, in advance of PO Memorial Day on May 15: may your name never make it to this list
Murf99314114.00
vreihen1615122.50
paquet629.50
      05-03-2021, 09:45 PM   #2829
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Fine!!
But no banana pics, pls.
Y'all are no fun! I'm about to spam that thread where the posts are nothing but scantily clad women with some sausage slinging nut hugging pics:
Appreciate 3
TiMSport12792.50
Littlebear3509.50
Murf99314114.00
      05-03-2021, 09:52 PM   #2830
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Y'all are no fun! I'm about to spam that thread where the posts are nothing but scantily clad women with some sausage slinging nut hugging pics:
DO IT! That'd be funny as hell.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 10:08 PM   #2831
Crash86
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Shopping

Quote:
Quote:
Your scope is myopic dude. The point is to have cause for the stop. Do you really think we care about the horn?!?! We are after more.
Buck, do you pull for air fresheners hanging on the mirror so you can strip search? Where does it stop?
What of 'probable cause'?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I don't remember if this was asked before, but here goes...

Is playing "Paul Revere" and flashing one's headlights at oncoming traffic to alert them to a police enforcement zone considered free speech, a reason to pull over the driver, or even obstruction if you observe it?????
I'm not sure that flashing high beams is really protected speech, but notifying others of the presence of law enforcement certainly is not illegal.

I don't really care either way, because I hate traffic cites unless you are truly endangering others (reckless, dui, etc).

My fur missile and I prefer to hunt felons.
Oooooo you have a fur missile?!? How is it!? I think I would get so attached that I would take it really hard if anything ever happened to him/her.......harder even than I would if I lost a human partner.
It's the best job I've ever had, but at the end of the day he and I sometimes have to risk ourselves for the safety of others. Fortunately, dogs are pretty resilient and usually bring so much chaos with them, that injuring or killing them can be difficult.

Quote:
Quote:
Your scope is myopic dude. The point is to have cause for the stop. Do you really think we care about the horn?!?! We are after more.
Buck, do you pull for air fresheners hanging on the mirror so you can strip search? Where does it stop?
That's called a "felony forest" 😂. Doesn't give PC for a strip search by any means, but is usually a clue...
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24971.50
Murf99314114.00
vreihen1615122.50
      05-03-2021, 10:10 PM   #2832
Crash86
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I don't remember if this was asked before, but here goes...

Is playing "Paul Revere" and flashing one's headlights at oncoming traffic to alert them to a police enforcement zone considered free speech, a reason to pull over the driver, or even obstruction if you observe it?????
I'm not sure that flashing high beams is really protected speech, but notifying others of the presence of law enforcement certainly is not illegal.

I don't really care either way, because I hate traffic cites unless you are truly endangering others (reckless, dui, etc).

My fur missile and I prefer to hunt felons.
Oooooo you have a fur missile?!? How is it!? I think I would get so attached that I would take it really hard if anything ever happened to him/her.......harder even than I would if I lost a human partner.
Quote:
Quote:
The best sidearm is something that you shoot accurately and effectively. That being said, I once carried a 45 ACP, but now carry 9mm. Advancements in ammunition have come a long way and a bigger caliber is not always better now.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24971.50
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
      05-03-2021, 10:11 PM   #2833
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post

There's no benefit to it over the 9mm really, so having an exotic round would just make things more difficult. In a pinch 9mm is easier to procure than 10mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Just a big thank you all, in advance of PO Memorial Day on May 15: may your name never make it to this list

Thank you Sir! I hope to never make that list.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Fine!!
But no banana pics, pls.
I double dog dare ya!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
Quote:
DO IT! That'd be funny as hell.
Appreciate 2
upstatedoc7555.50
Murf99314114.00
      05-03-2021, 10:25 PM   #2834
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
This is probably the funniest thing I read all day!
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3130.00
      05-03-2021, 10:26 PM   #2835
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I saved you the trouble of searching through all those degrading pictures rebekahb
Attached Images

rebekahb3130.00
      05-04-2021, 04:39 AM   #2836
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Lol! That picture is from about 5 years ago when a buddy of mine was in the CHP academy. Ohhhh the shenanigans.
and I never imagined you swung that way! (Not that there's anything wrong with it...!)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 04:46 AM   #2837
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
And that is the problem I have with poorly written laws and over-eager cops. Those cops aren't enforcing a law to Protect and Serve. They are enforcing a law, which may or may not apply depending on the nuance, articulation, circumstances and other legal standings, to make a point or to use that as an excuse to fish/search for more information/evidence. Or because the cop had his feelings hurt from "the person is being an ass."

There should not be a gray area in the law. And cops shouldn't be required to interpret the law based on nuance to figure out if a law has been broken. If there is a gray area, the law should default to the citizen's side, not the cop's side. Sort of a "tie goes to the runner" deal.
I hope this didn't slip by anyone.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 05:58 AM   #2838
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
The best sidearm is something that you shoot accurately and effectively. That being said, I once carried a 45 ACP, but now carry 9mm. Advancements in ammunition have come a long way and a bigger caliber is not always better now.
All of our equipment is issue. Ammunition is mandated by the province, so in Ontario all front line people are carrying .40Cal. and every officer in a dept carries the same sidearm. So Toronto and most dept. carry Glock 22, some depts use Sig 229 or S&W and a few were carrying Barretta. I understand that departments are now transitioning to 9mm though.

The thinking that everyone on a dept carries the same pistol is the ability to share mags as well as familiarity/muscle memory if you need to take another officers weapon you will be familiar with it.

And as said earlier, the best pistol/round is one you can hit the target with.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24971.50