BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-13-2018, 07:09 PM   #1
irokwrx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ESS G1 BC

Plasti Dip The M3

OK, Ok, OK before all the rice comments and just plain ole bashing, hear me out. I have a 2011 Jerez Black e92. Its a beautiful color but a pain in the azz to keep clean, It has had the paint correction done once and its just a pain to keep clean, if you touch it I will have your fingerprint until I wash it again, If I wipe the fingerprint, the wipe mark will be there until a wash it. I don't want to spend big money on paint and wrapping is overpriced in my area.

I am thinking of doing a matt white or there super white. Has anyone done this and is there any pointers (Do's and don'ts)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 07:20 PM   #2
cjpavao
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3

what are overpriced wraps in your area? go outside your area then, don’t cheap out on your M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 07:26 PM   #3
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

My car is dipped but not in plasti dip. It's high gloss 3 stage system that feels and looks like real paint but the product is professional grade product that needs a compressor and booth. For DIY you're limited to a few products since you'd need to use a turbine setup. Halo EFX, plasti dip performance series (just came out), raail and proline. If you plan to DIY this, make sure to prep the car correctly. Overspray is easy to get off with dip but it's a pain to clean up and time consuming. I would recommend proline, it's on dipyourcars's website. It's similar to plasti dip but feels slicker and lays a lot smoother. Proline will look identical to matte vinyl wraps where plasti dip will definitely look more textured and feel different. I wouldn't use plasti dip on your m3. You'll need one of their advanced sprayers to get a good finish as well. Remove door handles, front bumper, hood vents, side markers, window trim and tail lights for best finish. Jack the car up to make sure you can apply product to the inner parts of the bumper and fender.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 07:53 PM   #4
irokwrx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayocpavao View Post
what are overpriced wraps in your area? go outside your area then, don’t cheap out on your M3.
I knew it...I got thick skin...lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #5
irokwrx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
My car is dipped but not in plasti dip. It's high gloss 3 stage system that feels and looks like real paint but the product is professional grade product that needs a compressor and booth. For DIY you're limited to a few products since you'd need to use a turbine setup. Halo EFX, plasti dip performance series (just came out), raail and proline. If you plan to DIY this, make sure to prep the car correctly. Overspray is easy to get off with dip but it's a pain to clean up and time consuming. I would recommend proline, it's on dipyourcars's website. It's similar to plasti dip but feels slicker and lays a lot smoother. Proline will look identical to matte vinyl wraps where plasti dip will definitely look more textured and feel different. I wouldn't use plasti dip on your m3. You'll need one of their advanced sprayers to get a good finish as well. Remove door handles, front bumper, hood vents, side markers, window trim and tail lights for best finish. Jack the car up to make sure you can apply product to the inner parts of the bumper and fender.
Thanks. I was looking on their site and only saw the crazy colors with the proline. I was looking at the snow white but was not sure if it was a matt. I planned on getting the upgraded sprayer
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 08:12 PM   #6
codinge90
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irokwrx View Post
Quote:
Thanks. I was looking on their site and only saw the crazy colors with the proline. I was looking at the snow white but was not sure if it was a matt. I planned on getting the upgraded sprayer
So you have a couple options for proline. With proline you'll need the high build primer to lay first. So 1 gallon of that. Next you'll need your base color, so this is where I may get confusing. Proline has colored base gallons like white and black. Proline also has satin and matte clear gallons which are used to drop pearls/colors into. You can make your car any shade of white with any type of white pearl you find on the site. So let's say you wanted to do a custom white pearl, you lay the primer, you'd do a white base coat and then mix your white pearl into the matte/satin clean gallon and shoot that. If you wanted to keep it really simple, just do the primer and then do a white base. On the website you'll see Proline colored gallons and that's what you'll either use for your base or your color gallons if you don't want to use a pearl. You'll also want to seal everything in with 2-3 coats of matte clear or satin clear proline so the pigment doesn't rub off. Kinda keeps everything trapped underneath. And obviously, you choose matte clear if you want a matte finish and satin clear if you want more of a sheen. Feel free to pm me and I can explain further or answer any questions you have!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 08:18 PM   #7
Agent - ///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 Comp; Black Sapphire

Is this your daily or do you have another ride?
      07-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #8
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
If all it takes is a few fingerprints and imperfections in a properly corrected Black OEM finish to make you cringe, there is NO WAY you will ever be happy with a dip I don't care who does the application.
Appreciate 3
K-M390.50
pcohen15379.50
      07-13-2018, 10:11 PM   #9
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

I agree and the OP wants this too?

I am thinking of doing a matt white or there super white

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
If all it takes is a few fingerprints and imperfections in a properly corrected Black OEM finish to make you cringe, there is NO WAY you will ever be happy with a dip I don't care who does the application.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 11:59 PM   #10
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Please, please don’t plastidip your car. I will cry and kittens will surely die.
Appreciate 2
SDPLV493.00
      07-14-2018, 04:10 PM   #11
irokwrx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent - ///M View Post
Is this your daily or do you have another ride?
No I have two other cars. This one sits in the garage only 25k miles
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 04:10 PM   #12
irokwrx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Please, please don’t plastidip your car. I will cry and kittens will surely die.
I need a vid once its done... I want to see real tears!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #13
irokwrx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
It's not that I cringe, Its more so that there is always a spot or two from touching, window sprayer or bird crap and the rest of the car looks great. I want to protect the paint but at the same time, I want my car to look like it's been driven (Mad max look). If I had a wrap or dip on my car would stay dirty. I want to do burnouts and not have to worry about the paint. It's kind of hard to put my thoughts into words. But in short, I want to be able to go a few weeks without washing or pulling into an auto washer and not worry about the swirl marks.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #14
irokwrx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So you have a couple options for proline. With proline you'll need the high build primer to lay first. So 1 gallon of that. Next you'll need your base color, so this is where I may get confusing. Proline has colored base gallons like white and black. Proline also has satin and matte clear gallons which are used to drop pearls/colors into. You can make your car any shade of white with any type of white pearl you find on the site. So let's say you wanted to do a custom white pearl, you lay the primer, you'd do a white base coat and then mix your white pearl into the matte/satin clean gallon and shoot that. If you wanted to keep it really simple, just do the primer and then do a white base. On the website you'll see Proline colored gallons and that's what you'll either use for your base or your color gallons if you don't want to use a pearl. You'll also want to seal everything in with 2-3 coats of matte clear or satin clear proline so the pigment doesn't rub off. Kinda keeps everything trapped underneath. And obviously, you choose matte clear if you want a matte finish and satin clear if you want more of a sheen. Feel free to pm me and I can explain further or answer any questions you have!
You sir are the man! I was thinking that is what I would have to do to get it the way that I want. I think I am going to go for it and do it in about 2 weeks. I will copy my cart and you can let me kno if I am missing something. My car has the backup sensors...Do I need to remove them or just cover them? It would look funny with black dots on my bumper.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #15
motion732
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F30 335 M Sport

It's an m3. Not a 98 Civic. Don't plastidip
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2018, 09:05 PM   #16
Agent - ///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 Comp; Black Sapphire

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
I need a vid once its done... I want to see real tears!
Try and wrap it yourself prior to dip...... please!
      07-14-2018, 09:16 PM   #17
codinge90
Banned
Rep

Everyone relax, he's not using plasti dip. He's going to use a product called Proline which is re-engineered to lay smoother and feel smoother than plasti dip. "Dip" has come a long way and not many people are educated on it now days. There have been massive improvements in the past 2 years. My car is "dipped" and majority of people think it's paint. Wet sand, buff, wax, clean exactly like oem paint but removable. It comes down to application, if it's not applied correctly it's going to look terrible. Same with vinyl wrap. Proline is going to be consistent with a matte vinyl wrap or satin vinyl wrap. It's going to look and feel the exact same way. Here is a photo of my car to show how far dip has come, just educating everyone that "plasti dip" is not the only dip product out there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      07-15-2018, 11:15 AM   #18
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yeah I've seen Proline applications too. Yes it's better than plasti-dip by a long shot but I'm still going to assert that if someone is so nit-picky that they don't like seeing bird sh*t and fingerprint imperfections that they'll never be happy with any aftermarket paint, vinyl or coating application of any kind.

OP needs to go look at a finished product in person to decide.
Appreciate 2
BOOF-M34450.00
irokwrx765.00
      07-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #19
irokwrx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Everyone relax, he's not using plasti dip. He's going to use a product called Proline which is re-engineered to lay smoother and feel smoother than plasti dip. "Dip" has come a long way and not many people are educated on it now days. There have been massive improvements in the past 2 years. My car is "dipped" and majority of people think it's paint. Wet sand, buff, wax, clean exactly like oem paint but removable. It comes down to application, if it's not applied correctly it's going to look terrible. Same with vinyl wrap. Proline is going to be consistent with a matte vinyl wrap or satin vinyl wrap. It's going to look and feel the exact same way. Here is a photo of my car to show how far dip has come, just educating everyone that "plasti dip" is not the only dip product out there.
That looks nice. That's what I am going to be shooting for something smooth. That looks like it has wax on it. Did you put something on it to protect it? How long have you had it on?
Appreciate 1
codinge90325.50
      07-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #20
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Wow, looks nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 05:48 PM   #21
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Burnouts on a 25k mile garage queen? Lol. What is the cost of the dip codinge90
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 06:02 PM   #22
codinge90
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That looks nice. That's what I am going to be shooting for something smooth. That looks like it has wax on it. Did you put something on it to protect it? How long have you had it on?
It was wet sanded, buffed and polished but not waxed. I've had it on for 6 months and no peeling on the edges or delimitation. The biggest thing I can tell you is it comes down to prep and application. The product on my car is professional grade but if no applied correctly it's going to look bad. Same thing goes for the lower end products as well, as long as it's applied correctly it'll last and look incredible.
Appreciate 0