BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

04-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Dealer overfilled too much oil on M3. What do to?

Guys, I picked up my M3 tonight from the dealer after an oil change and drove it around town to and from work. I put about 40 miles on the car. I decided to check the oil gauge on the dash menu and it says >MAX next to the gauge, so I went into the i-drive and it says warning oil is over-filled, have car checked at service department. First off I'm really pissed they released the car to me with too much oil. I know on normal engines too much oil can foam and cause major engine damage. We have a sump system with a reservoir of oil. Basically, what I want to know is did I damage the engine by driving it around town tonight. Should I have it towed to the dealer or is it safe enough to drive it back to the dealer tomorrow so they can fix it? I would normally drain the oil myself, but I'm not touching it as then if the engine is damaged they will blame me of course. I'd appreciate any input on the safety of driving the car a few more miles back to the dealer.
Cheers
      04-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Tomislav
Panty Schtuffer
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
1997 BMW 323i  [0.00]
1994 BMW M3  [8.00]
just keep driving it
.: 1994 E36 M3 3.0 - 19" BBS LM Reps, Bilsteins :.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
TX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomislav View Post
just keep driving it
thanks, I'm not that familiar with a sump system like we have instead of an oil pan, but I've always been told the oil level isn't as critical as in an oil pan since basically we have a sump which oil is pumped out of through the engine. I'm still concerened with foaming and engine damage though, but I cant find any proof of that with our cars.
-TX
      04-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

My oil was showing low on the dash and said "1 quart" so I added a quart. Now it's showing full/OK.

Where in idrive do you check to see the real story though?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
TX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_M3 View Post
My oil was showing low on the dash and said "1 quart" so I added a quart. Now it's showing full/OK.

Where in idrive do you check to see the real story though?
Um, car is parked in the garage, but it's under vehicle information I believe with an oil can logo symbol. Once it reads it gives you a graph and will have a write up of the warning if its low or full or it will just say level OK
hope this helps.

btw, I've always let the level drop until it says +1L that way I just add the quart and it's good to go. Although I have added 1/2 a L just to test the gauge once or twice when it gets low before the +1L warning comes on. I keep 2L in the trunk for those times.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
Um, car is parked in the garage, but it's under vehicle information I believe with an oil can logo symbol. Once it reads it gives you a graph and will have a write up of the warning if its low or full or it will just say level OK
hope this helps.

btw, I've always let the level drop until it says +1L that way I just add the quart and it's good to go. Although I have added 1/2 a L just to test the gauge once or twice when it gets low before the +1L warning comes on.
10-4 good buddy!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

i had overfill last time in and just put the front in the air and let a little out.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
TX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
i had overfill last time in and just put the front in the air and let a little out.
I normally would do this, but the dealer screwed it up so if I touch it and the engine is damaged or other damage happens down the road, they will blame me since I didn't bring it in with an overfill warning and fixed it myself. Just protecting myself from a warranty denial.
      04-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

i have no warranty so no problem here they dont care any more if they blow my shit up.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #10
TX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
i have no warranty so no problem here they dont care any more if they blow my shit up.
True, I bet the guy dumped in the full 9L's instead of just the 8.4 or so it takes to fill to full ;-)
      04-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #11
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

probably. i have a pretty good relationship with my SA. Seems like ive been having more issues though lately with my services both on the m3 and x5. they curbed a wheel, overfilled my oil, kind of gave me a run around with my brake pad replacement. for a while there i was going in once a week for some little fix, or mod. my gf was starting to get suspicious.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #12
TX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
probably. i have a pretty good relationship with my SA. Seems like ive been having more issues though lately with my services both on the m3 and x5. they curbed a wheel, overfilled my oil, kind of gave me a run around with my brake pad replacement. for a while there i was going in once a week for some little fix, or mod. my gf was starting to get suspicious.
Yeah, thats a real shame, I expect perfection from a brand like BMW. The only reason I go to this dealer is because they have this beautiful girl who runs the reception for the service department. She's easy on the eyes for sure, so I dont mind going back to get things fixed.
      04-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #13
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

im hoping it isnt a continuing trend. they also hook me up pretty well on pricing for things and always give me a loaner for no charge sometimes for long periods. also have done some mods and things for me cheaply.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #14
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Quote:
Yeah, thats a real shame, I expect perfection from a brand like BMW. The only reason I go to this dealer is because they have this beautiful girl who runs the reception for the service department. She's easy on the eyes for sure, so I dont mind going back to get things fixed.
      04-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #15
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Drive the car for 5 miles, then have it remeasure the oil while you're stopped and idling on a level road. Measuring the oil while driving doesn't seem to work, as I learned when I had an unfortunate underfill and then overfill situation both on the day before a track weekend. Anyway, if the car still says overfilled after measuring while stopped, take it back to the dealer. I'd be worried about foaming as well, and getting them to fix their own mistake is cheap insurance against larger issues. If you have a problem later and tell the dealer, "This is your fault, you overfilled it!" and they ask why you didn't either fix it yourself or come back so they could fix it, what would you say in that situation? Take the proactive approach.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #16
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
I normally would do this, but the dealer screwed it up so if I touch it and the engine is damaged or other damage happens down the road, they will blame me since I didn't bring it in with an overfill warning and fixed it myself. Just protecting myself from a warranty denial.
pretty tough to screw it up, you're just letting some oil out...

anyways, as others have suggested, you can either drive and let it burn or let it out...

read this regarding whether it's actually harmful:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408366
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #17
mtbkr31
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Oil Overfill

I overfilled my oil by mistake once. Since I have my car serviced at Active Autowerkes I gave them a call and asked if it's bad to leave like that.

They told that it won't kill the engine, however it's not good to leave it like that. It was long time ago when this happened, but I believe they said it was due to the added pressure on the seals of the oil pump or something like that. Don't remember exactly, but to not drive it like that for a long time.

Since you're in SFLA, give them a call. They do all my service because I trust them and they know what they're doing. For example, when they do my oil change, after draining the oil and replacing the filter and filling in the oil...they let the car run for a few minutes to check where the oil level is at before they let it go. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #18
TX
Captain
Rep

Took it back to the dealer today with the alarms all over the dash. Dealer admitted it was over-filled, but failed to say how they failed to get it right the first time. They drained a little out and I am now about 3/4 full on the gauge. Better there than over max limit if you ask me. I'm still not too happy that they made a mistake like that.
      04-05-2012, 01:29 AM   #19
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX
Quote:
Lol. What dealer is that. I need to go there!!!

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 03:11 PM   #20
dardrix
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 2008 M3

This is an old thread but I once overfilled my S65 by 4 qts. Really dumb mistake, I was changing my oil cooler and I forgot to pull one of 2 drains, very careless. Put about 50 miles on the car before I realized that it was too full. Pulled all the oil out which ended up being almost 13 qt and put in the right amount. No shavings came out of the oil and no leaks so far. Engine runs fine. I would never recommend leaving too much oil in the motor for any length of time but for all the people who discovered you were up a 1/2-1 qt, I would say drain it out but you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0