BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

11-19-2011, 05:40 AM   #1
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Waxing Question

So the video in the STICKY that shows you a 9min video on waxing is broken. First place I looked. Hoping someone can answer this question(s)

What I did
I used Meguair's Gold Class Carnuba Plus. Waxed on, dried for 60 mins, wiped the residue off with one microfiber, and lastly polished with another microfiber towel to get final finish.

After polishing, I still see some wax haze here and there. Nothing permanent, sure it's from the wax oils etc.

My Question
Am I potentially applying too much wax paste to begin with??? Hence more elbow grease in getting it out?

Note, I do use a separate dry/clean microfiber for polishing - no transference residue wax from the coating.

Thanks all for your comments! new to detailing and paint maintenance. I now own the car officially, so got to keep this baby shiny for years to come!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
mikenap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3(sold) :(

Is it hazed wax that you didn't remove the first time around? If that's the case, you might just need to be more meticulous during the final wipedown. Does it look like shadows on the paint that eventually come off after repeated wiping? If that's the case, spritz QD or distilled water before wiping the shadows to ease removal and limit the possibility of swirls from wiping too hard.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenap View Post
Is it hazed wax that you didn't remove the first time around? If that's the case, you might just need to be more meticulous during the final wipedown. Does it look like shadows on the paint that eventually come off after repeated wiping? If that's the case, spritz QD or distilled water before wiping the shadows to ease removal and limit the possibility of swirls from wiping too hard.
Thanks!!! It worked.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
mikenap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3(sold) :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
Thanks!!! It worked.
No problem. I take it you were dealing with those shadowy areas?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenap View Post
No problem. I take it you were dealing with those shadowy areas?
Yep. I'll just need to reduce amount applied. I'm also going to start using Zaino products...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

I would highly reccomend AGAINST zaino! I know some people swear by it but I gave it a crack for almost two years to give it a fair shot and while it was ok, their sealants and protectants were just a pain to use and really really were hard to wipe off and left a lot of residue. The problem is you have to add this little activator solution to the "wax" (its not wax its all sealants they use" or otherwise the wax will not bond to the paint. Then you have to put on such a tiny amount or else it will be impossible to get off for days even with multiple wipe-downs. Problem is that it is hard to put on that little, even with a porter cable and soft black pad. You have to spritz the pad and add a bit and then spread it as thin as you can if you want to have a shot at getting the right amount. Then it is a pain to wipe off and really hard and sticky.

Ultimatley it gives less shine than the Menzerna that I switched to now so there is no benefit other than being a pain.

I would highly reccomend the menzerna sealant ( forget exact name) It is literally impossible to apply too much since it wipes off with absolute ease and none is sticky or tough to get off. It spreads on easy and when dry it wipes off as easy as polish residue. The shine is brilliant even on a silverstone car which is hard to make "shiny" It is super fast and easy which are great!
Appreciate 0