BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-21-2019, 04:29 PM   #3059
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Nice, if you have an original carbine chances are it saw service in WWII and often times Korea also. Most produced American weapon of the war, over 6 million were made. They started making them right before the war and when the war ended so did production. What company made yours?

I bought my Saginaw some years back and took the wife to the range one day to try it. She loved it and I was afraid of losing it to her. I bought her one of her own to keep her mitts off mine. Word to the wise, taking your spouse who likes shooting to the range can get a lot more expensive then just targets and a couple boxes of ammo!
No shit, so far I've bought her a Henry Golden Boy, Ruger MKIII and a Smith & Wesson 686. I'm afraid to let her shoot my Glock.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      02-21-2019, 04:40 PM   #3060
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Ontario has strict laws to get one
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #3061
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Ontario has strict laws to get one
To get one what?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 04:52 PM   #3062
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Firearm
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 04:53 PM   #3063
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Firearm
It's a pain, but not too bad if you want to take the necessary steps. A 2 day course and a background check plus an $85 RPAL licence fee. Then go on line and buy guns and Canada Post will deliver them to your house.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #3064
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
It's a pain, but not too bad if you want to take the necessary steps. A 2 day course and a background check plus an $85 RPAL licence fee. Then go on line and buy guns and Canada Post will deliver them to your house.
I heard there is alot of rules too like you can't keep weapon loaded in your own house?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 04:59 PM   #3065
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I heard there is alot of rules too like you can't keep weapon loaded in your own house?
There are safe storage laws, guns and ammo have to be locked up. That just common sense though.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 05:05 PM   #3066
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
There are safe storage laws, guns and ammo have to be locked up. That just common sense though.
I dont think there is similar laws jn the states?

What if someone break in and rob your house while youre sleeping
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 05:14 PM   #3067
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I dont think there is similar laws jn the states?

What if someone break in and rob your house while youre sleeping
So the laws in the US vary from state to state. Perhaps some of the US folks could comment. In Canada the laws are the same across the country and the view is that you don't own guns to protect yourself.

Having said that, you can comply with the law and still get to your gun in pretty short order. And then you're going to need a good lawyer because you will likely be charged.

The view of the Government are that Guns in Canada are for hunting, collecting or target shooting.

Last edited by Grumpy Old Man; 02-21-2019 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 10:15 PM   #3068
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

guns laws are a mess, the overall framework is universal (our second amendment), but that is where the arguing starts.

state laws are wildly different, but speaking in very general terms, you can buy and keep a gun in the state where you live, maybe not the gun that you want, but you can buy a gun.

beyond that there are hundreds of gun laws, and there are laws about how ‘agressively’ you can defend yourself.

I am in (the people’s republic of) California, and with a short test and a 10 day waiting period I can go buy a gun. I can transport it to and from a shooting range, and I can go shooting on some public and private land. Interestingly, CA has some of the most aggressive ‘castle doctrine’ laws that there are, you are allowed to persue your attacker in some cases, certainly not recommended.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2019, 10:17 PM   #3069
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

also, all but 4 or 5 counties have reasonable ccw laws

edit: maybe not reasonable, but doable
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #3070
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

So it's interesting, CCW permits are almost unheard of in Canada. I know of a few that have been issued but rarely.

The one thing I find interesting in the US vs Canada is that each state has its own criminal laws and therefore they often vary from state to state. I guess I find it odd compared to Canada where the criminal code is universal across the country.

Our laws on firearms are a bit too strict in my view, and likely to get stricter. However, once I have a RPAL, Restricted Purchase Acquisition Licence I can order or buy guns pretty easily. Non-restricted guns, so hunting and target rifles with a barrel 18" or longer I can walk into a gun store and buy or order and have it shipped and it will be here the next day. Restricted, so rifles with less than 18" barrel and hand guns with longer than 4 1/4" barrels take a few days longer as the CFO, Chief Firearms Officer must process the sale and registration of the firearm. Theres been a backlog lately so it takes about 10 days but normally faster. I think the backlog is because there is fear the government is going to place more restrictions on handguns so I think folks are buying them up now. That reminds me, I need to get the wife .357 ordered.

Last edited by Grumpy Old Man; 02-22-2019 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #3071
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Grump, just curious, you're a retired cop, do those same ownership parameters apply for citizens who aren't/weren't LE?
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 09:44 AM   #3072
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Grump, just curious, you're a retired cop, do those same ownership parameters apply for citizens who aren't/weren't LE?
The laws are the same for everyone. Background checks, references etc. However when you're on the job it's kind of strange, at least I always thought so. You get trained and issued your weapon. No licence, no paperwork to carry etc. You have your badge and that's it. When you retire, they take your gun back and give you a badge that shows you're retired. If you want to buy guns you have to get a licence (RPAL). If you want to buy guns while you're on the job you have to get an RPAL as well.
Appreciate 2
N54Yankee2706.00
      02-23-2019, 12:25 AM   #3073
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
guns laws are a mess, the overall framework is universal (our second amendment), but that is where the arguing starts.

state laws are wildly different, but speaking in very general terms, you can buy and keep a gun in the state where you live, maybe not the gun that you want, but you can buy a gun.

beyond that there are hundreds of gun laws, and there are laws about how ‘agressively’ you can defend yourself.

I am in (the people’s republic of) California, and with a short test and a 10 day waiting period I can go buy a gun. I can transport it to and from a shooting range, and I can go shooting on some public and private land. Interestingly, CA has some of the most aggressive ‘castle doctrine’ laws that there are, you are allowed to persue your attacker in some cases, certainly not recommended.
I live in Tennessee. We regulate guns to about the same extent as chewing gum.

We also have a CCW permit process that is a one page form you mail in and then receive a lifetime permit that doesn't need to be renewed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
What brand do you guys use for defense or range?

For me:
- Defense: SigSauer or Hornady Crit Def
- Range: Fuccini or Federal Walmart Special
Same for defense but mostly American eagle or S&B for range
      02-23-2019, 12:26 AM   #3074
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post

We also have a CCW permit process that is a one page form you mail in and then receive a lifetime permit that doesn't need to be renewed.
That's one of the main reasons I moved to the south! (From communist New York)
      02-23-2019, 02:35 AM   #3075
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Quote:
So it's interesting, CCW permits are almost unheard of in Canada. I know of a few that have been issued but rarely.

The one thing I find interesting in the US vs Canada is that each state has its own criminal laws and therefore they often vary from state to state. I guess I find it odd compared to Canada where the criminal code is universal across the country.

Our laws on firearms are a bit too strict in my view, and likely to get stricter. However, once I have a RPAL, Restricted Purchase Acquisition Licence I can order or buy guns pretty easily. Non-restricted guns, so hunting and target rifles with a barrel 18" or longer I can walk into a gun store and buy or order and have it shipped and it will be here the next day. Restricted, so rifles with less than 18" barrel and hand guns with longer than 4 1/4" barrels take a few days longer as the CFO, Chief Firearms Officer must process the sale and registration of the firearm. Theres been a backlog lately so it takes about 10 days but normally faster. I think the backlog is because there is fear the government is going to place more restrictions on handguns so I think folks are buying them up now. That reminds me, I need to get the wife .357 ordered.
In the US, there's Federal level laws and then state level laws. States like Texas would be more friendly to firearm owners, but places like California they would not. I'd love it if they did it only on a Federal level, but local politicians think they know better and love to push anti gun laws down our throats. Problem with lots of these politicians is that they fear the gun and haven't even really touched it unless it was a photo op. If they understood guns and didn't like it.. I would highly respect their opinions. Unfortunately many of them don't have my respect.
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2019, 02:52 AM   #3076
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

To continue down the path of oldest guns..
My oldest in my collection would be a Sig P220. Love the gun, but rarely take it out.
I tend to use my S&W M&P 9C because it's my carry gun and it's so accurate.

Oldest gun in my collection would be a 1982 (originally police issued) H&K MP5.

My favorite collector items are either my Magpul MPLA lower or my complete KAC Xmas lower set.
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #3077
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I have yugo sks, pre b cz75 and browning hi power not sure of age of them.
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2019, 09:32 AM   #3078
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

Yup, I love living in Tennessee. It's a very gun friendly state.

The news reports from time to time about somebody that gets "caught" with an "arsenal" of firearms in an un-friendly-to-guns state - and the wording makes me chuckle. This latest "arsenal" in the news consists of 12 firearms and a couple thousand rounds of ammo. 12? If word got out in my neighborhood that I only had 12 firearms my neighbors would be going door-to-door taking up a collection for "that poor man". 12 ain't even a good starter kit in my neck of the woods.

There is a sign in the shed at the 100 yard range at my club - "If you know how many guns you have, you don't have enough".
Run Silent15127.00
      02-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #3079
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30/M550ix 2019

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Here's something interesting we can talk about. I'm curious to know what you guys have and want. What's the oldest firearm in your personal collection, preferably something that you still shoot on occasion?
Also, what's on your older arm still to buy list?

My oldest are, two M1 carbines, one is a NPM made in late '43 and a Saginaw made in early '44. Only a couple months apart in age. They make it to range about twice a year.

I am looking for the type rifle my Great Great Grandfather used during the Civil War, a Sharps rifle. They make modern copies but I'm looking for an original 1860's issue one. They're available but the prices are high and I'm shopping for just the right one. Also in the market for a Colt 1911A1 issued during WWII.
IBM M1 Carbine made in 1943-1944 It was rearsenaled with a Winchester stock and sent to Bavaria at one time.

I have Sistema Colt 1911 which was manufactured in 1951.

HRA Collectors Grade CMP Certified Garand 1954 exactly as it left the factory.

From there the res of my stuff jumps to the 60s. Browning High Powers, Colts etc....
Appreciate 4
Dang3r12503.00
N54Yankee2706.00
upstatedoc7555.50
      02-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #3080
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Beautiful trio you have there Rella. I especially like the carbine, IBM one of the premium makers, Winchester low wood stock in spectacular shape and a Bavarian return. The Germans really took care of our carbines for us while they 'borrowed' them. The Garand and Colt are very nice indeed as well.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1