BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

06-02-2018, 11:24 AM   #45
cas0625
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i

Unhappy 2012 F30 Engine Oil Pressure! Stop carefully

I just got the same "Engine Oil Pressure! Stop carefully" message in my 2012 F30 last week. I have been reading many threads with different situations showing different symptoms like lost of power, sudden stop, etc... which is not my case.

The oil change was done recently (about 2-3 weeks ago) in a local BMW repair shop. It was passed for 100 - 200 miles. I don't think that is too long. I have a C230 and have extended beyond that couple of times in his life and never complaint.

The car is running well, I feel no lost of power, no weird sound other than the normal peculiar F30 sound.

It happened while I was in the highway, I stopped, turned the car off for a min or so, then start it again and no error came, I drove home no issue. I open the hood checked and all sound ok.

I took it to the repair shop, they hookup the BMW ODB diagnostic tool and check the car. Only error that showed up was related to one of the back door window mechanism, which definitely is not related.

I get it back, no error message at all for few day, then the error again. This time I drove straight to the repair shop without turning the engine off. They did a visual inspection and didn't see anything weird or any weird sound coming from the engine. They hook up the diagnostic tool (all this without turning the engine off and the error message on). Surprisingly the error didn't showed up in the ODB tool, just the same error as before.

They turned the engine off and on and the error goes away as always. They drove it around accelerated it and the error didn't showed up in the panel. They hooked up the ODB tool again and nothing related to an engine error came out.

Another odd thing is that when the error is on I try to check the oil level and it stop at 30% and move to the initial menu. Once I turned the car off and on it run completely and show the oil level is full. So not sure it could be a bad oil level sensor, not sure if that causes that kind of error.

I was expecting that error to be caught by the ODB scanner but there is nothing. No timing, cam, sensor or pump, nothing that can point or give a clue of what could be wrong.

Have anyone experienced this kind of odd situation? Any advise?

I hope is not a faulty engine as it is already out of warranty. 95K miles.

Although the oil level seems to be ok, I thinking on adding a quart to see if that resolve the issue.

Any advise will be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #46
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

For the OP, is it possible the sensor could have been correctly reading a dangerously low oil pressure situation with cold 10W-60 oil not performing well at -26 degrees Celsius?

Image borrowed from here.
E9X M3 "Factory" Tools Can Be Found Here
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 06:39 PM   #47
330Barti
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E90 328xi

I have a 2007 328xi and I’m getting a noise from the engine bay I think it’s the timing chain I am also getting a low oil pressure warming that won’t go away so I haven’t been driving it has anyone head this noise before I am going to upload a video

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 09:15 PM   #48
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Barti View Post
I have a 2007 328xi and I'm getting a noise from the engine bay I think it's the timing chain I am also getting a low oil pressure warming that won't go away so I haven't been driving it has anyone head this noise before I am going to upload a video

You have a, or multiple spun rod bearings. that engine is toast.
      02-21-2019, 03:44 AM   #49
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
The oil level sensor and oil pressure sensor are two naturally exclusive measuring devices. I would recommend repacking the oil pressure sensor and a software update, this should solve the issue.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0