BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

04-12-2023, 02:42 AM   #1
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

DCT Leak - Top Mechatronics Seal?

I saw a few posts about folks DIY'ing the Mechatronics electrical plug o-ring with the trans in the car (without removing the lower pan).

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1697657

My local Indy mentioned that this isn't the correct procedure as there's some sort of internal release mechanism to release the sleeve before replacement of the sleeve/o-ring.

Anyone have experience here?
      04-14-2023, 09:56 AM   #2
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Garage List
  [0.00]
I’ve been speaking to the shop I go to about this same issue. You have to drop the trans to get to the harness. There is a post around here about someone slightly dropping the trans but that person mentions you have to have small baby hands to reach up there.

There was no mention about a special release in the post or from my shop about the releasing of that harness. I’ll ask again about that.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      04-14-2023, 11:01 AM   #3
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwdoubles_ View Post
I’ve been speaking to the shop I go to about this same issue. You have to drop the trans to get to the harness. There is a post around here about someone slightly dropping the trans but that person mentions you have to have small baby hands to reach up there.

There was no mention about a special release in the post or from my shop about the releasing of that harness. I’ll ask again about that.
Gotcha, that's what I was thinking. I've never heard of any "release cable" but another local reputable Indy quoted me 2hrs by trying to tilt the trans and get the o-ring swapped on. I'm debating moving from Slon to another DCT pan as I still haven't been able to fully seal it after 2 attempts with the anaerobic gasket maker.
      04-15-2023, 01:24 AM   #4
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
I’ve seen YouTube videos on servicing the mechatronics and they did pull a plastic keeper to release the sleeve but it was not on an M3. Having pored through the DIY thread and not seeing any mention of it I think I’ll ask my master tech buddy tomorrow. I honestly can’t remember what the guts of the transmission looked like or whether there was a keeper mechanism for the sleeve. But I only had the bottom pan off.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 01:27 AM   #5
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
I found some pictures of the bottom of the case. I don’t see any release mechanism from the bottom side.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 01:50 AM   #6
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
There is a screw holding in the connector. Forget which torx bit size. It looks like you have to cork screw of the connecting harness.

Here’s some instructions on repairing the o-ring.
  1. Transmission must be cleaned around the sealing cup to prevent dirt penetration. Failure to comply with this instruction may result in serious damage to the twin-clutch gearbox! Release screw (1).
  2. Pull out sealing cup (1). Remove sealing ring (2). Clean sealing cup (1). Important! Risk of damage! Pull out sealing cup only up to first edge (broken line).
  3. Attach new sealing ring (1) to sealing cup. Carefully pull sealing ring over screwing flange and install. Important! Inside and outside of sealing ring (1) have sealing lips of different heights (2). The higher sealing lips must point outwards (rest on the transmission housing in the preinstalled state).
Attached Images

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 01:59 AM   #7
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Here’s one of the references: