BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

EXXEL Distributions

12-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #23
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

if pad deposit is the problem, then you just need to get some track pads and run them when cold to scrape off the old pad deposit.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 02:01 AM   #24
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
That pad is worn the hell down! But, what does the inside one look like? You mention that the inside of the rotor is smooth only the outer side looked like this. So, is the inner pad worn evenly with the outer? I ask because if not, you may have a caliper issue.

Do we not have sensors on the pads? I would think that the brake repl light would have come on.

Why not just get new rotors? I mean, brakes are pretty important and while I understand just because we drive M3s doesnt mean we have assloads of funny money, but why not just get new a front setup? It cant be THAT expensive...
      12-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #25
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
That pad is worn the hell down! But, what does the inside one look like? You mention that the inside of the rotor is smooth only the outer side looked like this. So, is the inner pad worn evenly with the outer? I ask because if not, you may have a caliper issue.

Do we not have sensors on the pads? I would think that the brake repl light would have come on.

Why not just get new rotors? I mean, brakes are pretty important and while I understand just because we drive M3s doesnt mean we have assloads of funny money, but why not just get new a front setup? It cant be THAT expensive...
The other side had a half millimeter more. It all happened in one 20 min session on the track . Light came on 5 minutes before the left pad overheated and turned into a pile of dust. I had adequate pad thickness before that session. I am just too hard on the brakes

Despite the rotor looking like crap initially, it is actually not that bad, I put in my slightly used stock pads and it's all good. The car stops fine for the street.

I am planning on getting a BBK, that's the reason for not spending money on new rotors.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #26
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny View Post
I am planning on getting a BBK, that's the reason for not spending money on new rotors.
Yup, now I get it. And yup, jealous...
      12-23-2012, 01:59 AM   #27
Elementary
If you ain't first, you're last!
Rep
Drives: M Drei

Looks like you need to bed your pads properly and get proper pads that are in the correct heat range while on the track, those deposits in the drilled holes are "melted" pads.
Appreciate 0