BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

12-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

S65 rod bearing failing, what should it sound like?

All these threads about rod bearing failures make me a little nervous. Not that I have any reason to believe I have anything to worry about yet, it's just the idea that it could happen that worries me.

The S65 is a noisy engine, none of which I am knowledgeable enough to tell if they are "normal" or not. Is it possible to tell just by listening to the sound of the motor (assuming you know what you are listening for) what kind of condition your rod bearings are in? I watched the below video, and it is a pretty horrible noise coming from that car. Is it always a very pronounced, unmistakable noise like in this video when your rod bearings are going, or is it easy to miss if you don't know what you are looking for?

Appreciate 1
      12-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

That sound is of an engine that is already kaput.

Usually the warning signs are much more subtle, or completely unnoticeable.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
All these threads about rod bearing failures make me a little nervous. Not that I have any reason to believe I have anything to worry about yet, it's just the idea that it could happen that worries me.

The S65 is a noisy engine, none of which I am knowledgeable enough to tell if they are "normal" or not. Is it possible to tell just by listening to the sound of the motor (assuming you know what you are listening for) what kind of condition your rod bearings are in? I watched the below video, and it is a pretty horrible noise coming from that car. Is it always a very pronounced, unmistakable noise like in this video when your rod bearings are going, or is it easy to miss if you don't know what you are looking for?

Often the bearing failure is very clear...with the ticking or the rattle noise !
I can at least post 15-20 videos on here with the noise .
But here you can find all the bearing 5H1T together with pics, videos and story's => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786615
Like mentioned above some people just don't like to see or to hear it knowing it can happen all the time with every single S65 !
I thought that I had some warning security in mind and I learnd how my S65 not should sound by listening videos such as you posted and heard them more than 100 times !
So each time when I started my car it became a ritual and I was listening all the time , even my wife said....are you paranoia ?
The reaction of my wife is just normal because who knows...what normal person knows what bearings are ?
And what normal person knows that an ///M3 a legend... with the amazing strong NA V8 can blown at any time... ?
Sadly...I've find out the last 3-4 weeks that several members on here are mentioning that they heard nothing....never any ticking or rattle noises and went just......"BOOM" with a black hole in engine block ?!?!
Stock engines with no tune or SC even buits of end 2013 with only 6,700 miles on it, just like I said this several times on here !
But the part of hearing no ticking or rattle noises is new for me, and to be honest that part scares the 5H1T out of me !
So without any warning....just BOOM !!!
Sadly again I must say that posting videos on here with the bearing failure noises can serve but not all the time .
We all have the right to talk about this at any time and make 1,000 threads of it , because it's not our mistake !
Personal I prefer to see a real fix... a solution for this problem because when seeing 7-8K rpm's ...of what do we thinking ..wow amazing , or on the black holes ?
Conclusion.... it's more and more difficult to enjoy the S65 knowing about all this bearing trouble and blown engines !
And to be honest I just wished I never saw all the blown engines on here !
And I'll repait it's not our mistake , it was f@cked up by BMW and on day 1 knowing about the numbers of Worldwide bearing failures that makes it even worse,on here is only noticed a very small number !!!

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Often the bearing failure is very clear...with the ticking or the rattle noise !
I can at least post 15-20 videos on here with the noise .
But here you can find all the bearing 5H1T together with pics, videos and story's => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786615
Like mentioned above some people just don't like to see or to hear it knowing it can happen all the time with every single S65 !
I thought that I had some warning security in mind and I learnd how my S65 not should sound by listening videos such as you posted and heard them more than 100 times !
So each time when I started my car it became a ritual and I was listening all the time , even my wife said....are you paranoia ?
The reaction of my wife is just normal because who knows...what normal person knows what bearings are ?
And what normal person knows that an ///M3 a legend... with the amazing strong NA V8 can blown at any time... ?
Sadly...I've find out the last 3-4 weeks that several members on here are mentioning that they heard nothing....never any ticking or rattle noises and went just......"BOOM" with a black hole in engine block ?!?!
Stock engines with no tune or SC even buits of end 2013 with only 6,700 miles on it, just like I said this several times on here !
But the part of hearing no ticking or rattle noises is new for me, and to be honest that part scares the 5H1T out of me !
So without any warning....just BOOM !!!
Sadly again I must say that posting videos on here with the bearing failure noises can serve but not all the time .
We all have the right to talk about this at any time and make 1,000 threads of it , because it's not our mistake !
Personal I prefer to see a real fix... a solution for this problem because when seeing 7-8K rpm's ...of what do we thinking ..wow amazing , or on the black holes ?
Conclusion.... it's more and more difficult to enjoy the S65 knowing about all this bearing trouble and blown engines !
And to be honest I just wished I never saw all the blown engines on here !
And I'll repait it's not our mistake , it was f@cked up by BMW and on day 1 knowing about the numbers of Worldwide bearing failures that makes it even worse,on here is only noticed a very small number !!!
well said sir
      12-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
well said sir
I realy appreciate your kind words , I just try to be honest about our damn situation and that with my bad Englisch , but I'm learning !
That's why I need to say ...Thank you sir !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #6
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

So if I was to post a video of my car idling, under different driving/rev conditions, etc, could someone on here tell me if they hear anything out of the ordinary? What would be the best circumstances or conditions to take a video for this purpose?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
So if I was to post a video of my car idling, under different driving/rev conditions, etc, could someone on here tell me if they hear anything out of the ordinary? What would be the best circumstances or conditions to take a video for this purpose?
Cutting through all the BS, it sounds like a major problem to me. May not be rod bearings but something is definitely wrong. I would not drive it anymore until it is diagnosed.
      12-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
Cutting through all the BS, it sounds like a major problem to me. May not be rod bearings but something is definitely wrong. I would not drive it anymore until it is diagnosed.
That wasn't my video. Just posted it as a reference to see if all common rod bearing issues sound similar from someone who is knowledgeable on the subject. My car is fine *knock on wood*
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
If you want to post a video about the engine sound of your S65 if it sounds normal or not than the best way is to hold the cam very close to the front wheel on the drivers side and rev slowly to 2K-2.5K rpm's .
If you post your video I'll put always my headphone on, I've done it several times most in PM videos for members...friends on here .
And I can prove this if you want to..
In one case ...video I was saying that I was hearing a slight knock,but he said to me... my S65 sounds perfect !
And I was saying => NO !
The result was that he was counted in the thread with the blown engines and that after 3 weeks that I was saying ...stop driving your car ASAP, and take your car to your BMW/Dealer !

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #10
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
That wasn't my video. Just posted it as a reference to see if all common rod bearing issues sound similar from someone who is knowledgeable on the subject. My car is fine *knock on wood*
OK nevermind LOL
      12-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #11
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

So here is a video I shot (sorry for the poor quality, it was shot with my cell phone). It is dark, as it is getting dark outside and it was filmed under my carport, and the point of the video is the sound, not the image.

The car is fully warmed up in this video, so if I should take a video on a cold start I can. I do not hear anything that sounds like a knocking, ticking, or anything else (and definitely do not have the horrible sound as in the video in the OP) but I wanted to get some advice on here and see if anyone heard anything out of the ordinary, or if there is anything that might indicate that I could be looking at rod bearing issues (or any other issues you might hear)

Here is the conditions of the video:

*Camera placed on ground leaning up against front driver wheel*
0:00 - 0:30 vehicle at idle
0:31 - 0:34 revved to 2300rpms
0:34 - 0:37 vehicle at idle
0:37 - 0:40 revved to 1500rpms and held
0:40 - 0:42 revved to 3000rpms
0:42 - 1:03 vehicle at idle
*Camera picked up, moved to passenger side wheel*
1:10 - 1:15 vehicle at idle

Appreciate 1
      12-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #12
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
^^^ sounds like a normal S65
      12-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #13
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

IT SOUNDS BEAUTIFUL and in good health just like the vast majority of S65's.
The great vast majority (but not all) non supercharged and non tuned s65 are fine and you are more likely to win a $1,000,000 powerball prize (not the jackpot) by playing 80 tickets every week for 60 years than blowing your s65. If you are mathematically inclined you can calculate the % that i am giving you.. But my mouth is tied to say anything about my source.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #14
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys, makes me rest easy knowing it sounds okay. I know from records I have obtained and the factory service booklet that on average it went about 15,000 miles or 1 year 3 months between oil changes by previous owners (not to say there weren't oil changes done by Indy shops halfway between the recommended service intervals, but I doubt it) so I think from this point on I will do all dealer recommended services and my own oil service halfway between the 15,000 mile or 1 year mark just for a peace of mind and good measure. I also think a Blackstone analysis every self oil change I do is in order.

Last edited by Rat3d ///M; 12-16-2014 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #15
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Man that first video is plain scary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
The great vast majority (but not all) non supercharged and non tuned s65 are fine and you are more likely to win a $1,000,000 powerball prize (not the jackpot) by playing 80 tickets every week for 60 years than blowing your s65. If you are mathematically inclined you can calculate the % that i am giving you.. But my mouth is tied to say anything about my source.
I figured this is likely the real case. Samples on a forum can be so skewed and just cause paranoia.
      12-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #16
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

I forgot who but someone said that a healthy normal S65 sounds like a sewing machine...i like that!

Yes that sounds fine
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #17
Jaysea7
Here to pick your brains!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Thanks for the normal engine sound!

I too have been concerned about the bearings, since reading some of the horror stories. My 2011 E92 is at the local BMW dealer for it's last checkup before the warranty expires 12/31/2014. I asked the SA to have the techs listen for any signs of bearing failure. Have not heard yet, but I think they will tell me all is well.

I will let you know what they tell me.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #18
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
So here is a video I shot (sorry for the poor quality, it was shot with my cell phone). It is dark, as it is getting dark outside and it was filmed under my carport, and the point of the video is the sound, not the image.

The car is fully warmed up in this video, so if I should take a video on a cold start I can. I do not hear anything that sounds like a knocking, ticking, or anything else (and definitely do not have the horrible sound as in the video in the OP) but I wanted to get some advice on here and see if anyone heard anything out of the ordinary, or if there is anything that might indicate that I could be looking at rod bearing issues (or any other issues you might hear)

Here is the conditions of the video:

*Camera placed on ground leaning up against front driver wheel*
0:00 - 0:30 vehicle at idle
0:31 - 0:34 revved to 2300rpms
0:34 - 0:37 vehicle at idle
0:37 - 0:40 revved to 1500rpms and held
0:40 - 0:42 revved to 3000rpms
0:42 - 1:03 vehicle at idle
*Camera picked up, moved to passenger side wheel*
1:10 - 1:15 vehicle at idle

Just put my headphone on....
Your S65 sounds just perfect,so no worries !
Answered and listened also to your PM...
Try to keep it that way...and that counts also for all of us !

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #19
Jaysea7
Here to pick your brains!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Got my car back from Dealer!

After 2 days at the dealer, I was told that there were no abnormal engine sounds detected. Great news for now!

Warranty expires 12/31/2014, then CPO goes into affect.

Got my fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #20
JPH704
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Huracan Performante & 720s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
I see you're somewhat local. Just recently... A buddy on mine, with a 2010 stock E92 M3 had a failure. He was driving on the highway at 65mph when it happened. The car was towed to the "big, well-known" Charlotte NC dealer.

After spending 2 days investigating, the service advisor called with the bad news. Bearing 6 is destroyed and damage to the crank. Informed him of the lengthy list of parts that are needed and turn-around time. They needed to order a few of the parts from Germany. He explained the process and put him in a loaner. This is the same song and dance for the S65. This isn't caused from any aftermarket parts or tune.

Facts: The Car is a well maintained, One owner, 2010, 54k miles and bone stock. Unless you count an MPE axle back exhaust and OEM carbon splitters. Maybe his window tint blew the motor?!

On my way to buy a powerball ticket. I hear the odds are good!

Last edited by JPH704; 12-17-2014 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #21
m3power13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM Fan View Post
I see you're somewhat local. Just recently... A buddy on mine, with a 2010 stock E92 M3 had a failure. He was driving on the highway at 65mph when it happened. The car was towed to the "big, well-known" Charlotte NC dealer.

After spending 2 days investigating, the service advisor called with the bad news. Bearing 6 is destroyed and damage to the crank. Informed him of the lengthy list of parts that are needed and turn-around time. They needed to order a few of the parts from Germany. He explained the process and put him in a loaner. This is the same song and dance for the S65. This isn't caused from any aftermarket parts or tune.

Facts: The Car is a well maintained, One owner, 2010, 54k miles and bone stock. Unless you count an MPE axle back exhaust and OEM carbon splitters. Maybe his window tint blew the motor?!

On my way to buy a powerball ticket. I hear the odds are good!
Is the car under warranty? If not is BMW paying for it?

E92 M3 - Alpine White - Carbon Roof - 6 SPD - Speed Cloth - No NAV/EDC - Meisterschaft - Signature Forged
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #22
JPH704
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Huracan Performante & 720s

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3power13 View Post
Is the car under warranty? If not is BMW paying for it?
Wasn't my car. It was another local owner and friend. My car has a warranty, so did the friend that had this unfortunate mess. BMW took care of him but decided to switch brands shortly thereafter.
Appreciate 0