BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Mechanic in downtown Toronto?

Just got some maintenance work done on my car, and as I had all the parts and was VERY short on time, I just walked into the shop 50 meters from my house and handed them the keys (very "smart", I know). Anyway, I saw some sleeks in the shop and some Japanese car going through an engine transplant or something of that nature, so I figured they will not screw it up.

But the dude charged me $200 tax in for full brake system flush, change of pads, oil change and safety inspection for a track event (I brought all parts with me). Seems too much for the work only. Is it?

Why I'm asking is that I kinda liked the place for maintenance stuff - walking distance, owner in the shop, and the dude seemed to care (e.g., talked me out of changing brake lines because said my problem was in the boiled fluid, not the lines, told me that one of the tires will not take more than 2 track days etc). But if he is screwing me on the charges, I will not feel good about using his services, even if I do not care about the money I'd overpay.

So is $200 fair for the work (pads, fluid, oil change, track event inspection form) or did I get screwed?

Also, any mechanic recommendations in Annex/Yorkville area or a short cab ride from it?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Actually I think that was quite cheap assuming it was done properly.Most shops in Toronto are between $100 -120 per hour and just doing pads and bleeding is about 1.5 hours labour alone.I personaly would be very careful of who does an oil change on my S65 engine that has a cost of over $20000,but that is me!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
Jon@Bimmersport Automotive
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Active Supercharged

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Actually I think that was quite cheap assuming it was done properly.Most shops in Toronto are between $100 -120 per hour and just doing pads and bleeding is about 1.5 hours labour alone.I personaly would be very careful of who does an oil change on my S65 engine that has a cost of over $20000,but that is me!
True, however as long as they know which type of oil (if the shop is providing parts/oil) and they know how to properly check the oil level (reseting the computer would be a bonus).

How about if a tech at Mr. Lube or oil changers know would you still go there?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 12:09 AM   #4
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
I provided oil, filter and a gasket, all from a friendly US dealer, so unless the mechanic just completely f-d it up (like dropped something in or did not actually change the oil), it's difficult to do wrong. I saw my old dirty filter, and the level of oil after the change was a notch lower then before, so they did change the oil. Dropping something inside an engine would be too much of a goof to be a real risk (or am I naive?)

Anyway, my motivation is not saving money - I often need to work 12+ hours a day, so I really need the mechanic to be close, especially with downtown traffic.

It's good to hear that the pricing seems honest - I'll probably give this shop more business.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@Bimmersport Automotive View Post
True, however as long as they know which type of oil (if the shop is providing parts/oil) and they know how to properly check the oil level (reseting the computer would be a bonus).

How about if a tech at Mr. Lube or oil changers know would you still go there?
I would not go to Mr lube with any of the trucks that I had in the past much less any of our BMW's!
Appreciate 0