BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

04-04-2016, 07:33 AM   #155
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy
Looks like this year will be like last. Going to keep the m3 (love it). Sold the 911 and got this bad boy only to realize after all the seat adjustments, still struggling to fit as a tall driver.

Original factory cup car with 477 miles. Only one with a title to register May need to part

http://www.daniyal-syed.com/lotusexige

Can't convince myself to part with the M3 yet. Now with some test pipes, tune, pulleys, it will be a hoot this year.

Lutfy
How tall are you? I'm close to 6'04" and I fit fine.

Edit: realized you were talking about the lotus. Did you not fit in the 911?
      04-04-2016, 10:15 AM   #156
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
Looks like this year will be like last. Going to keep the m3 (love it). Sold the 911 and got this bad boy only to realize after all the seat adjustments, still struggling to fit as a tall driver.

Original factory cup car with 477 miles. Only one with a title to register May need to part

http://www.daniyal-syed.com/lotusexige

Can't convince myself to part with the M3 yet. Now with some test pipes, tune, pulleys, it will be a hoot this year.

Lutfy
Congrats on the decision to keep the m3 and part with the 911. I go through cars fairly quickly and this is now my second e9x m3 (also parted with a 911 not too long ago). I'm really enjoying it and thinking this one will remain with me for some time!

Also, I definitely don't fit in any Lotus and understand the frustration, cool car though especially in cup form.
      04-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #157
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
How tall are you? I'm close to 6'04" and I fit fine.

Edit: realized you were talking about the lotus. Did you not fit in the 911?
911 was great and was actually faster than the M3 in stock form (997s running -1 degree front camber and -1.5 back) 6spd.

But the sensation of the M3 with the V8, DCT and seating position is phenomenal for taller drivers. Granted my 911S was an 05. I will be toying at the next 991S but I am still not bored with the M3 yet. It's that good of a vehicle (for me). A very precise instrument I enjoy in ruthless DC streets and incredibly well balanced on the track. Am 6'4" too.

This was the new toy which I thought I'd enjoy but it was more paranoia than fun. Excellent on the track but nonsense everywhere else. Again M3 shone in (much easier to live with). Money no object, I love the dct m3 with exhaust mod (stock it's numb)

http://www.daniyal-syed.com/mclaren650s

Cup car was for cage/safety as my conscience is biting me a lot. Intend to ship a gt4 m3 now that they are less competitive in Europe.

Lutfy
Appreciate 2
      04-04-2016, 01:21 PM   #158
Jive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

How does Speed ventures format compare to speed district? I liked SD format because it was split into three different groups with 20 minutes each. Does SV do something similar?
      04-04-2016, 02:19 PM   #159
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive View Post
How does Speed ventures format compare to speed district? I liked SD format because it was split into three different groups with 20 minutes each. Does SV do something similar?
5 or 6 run groups 20 min each. You get 4 sessions per day, with maybe 1 or 2 bonus sessions. They're absolutely packed with people. SV grids by lap time though, so typically after the 1st session you don't have to contend with traffic. It works great if you're in an advanced group.

M3 Number 86 had a bad day I think. Typically all of the SD events I've attended were not jam packed with people, so gridding by lap time was simply not necessary. Also, in the intermediate groups, they are mostly aware of you if you do creep on them so you will get a point by.

I will say that the download meetings that SV has are nice - you can dime people out if they're not following the rules or they're being stupid, something you have to do on your own with SD.

I like both groups now. I have had isolated bad experiences with both groups, but it wasn't a big deal. I had to deal with the Fast and Furious once at Buttonwillow with SD that I got sorted out by talking to the event organizers, and I had conga line traffic once with SV which made it totally unfun, but they were both isolated incidents.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:52 PM   #160
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
911 was great and was actually faster than the M3 in stock form (997s running -1 degree front camber and -1.5 back) 6spd.

But the sensation of the M3 with the V8, DCT and seating position is phenomenal for taller drivers. Granted my 911S was an 05. I will be toying at the next 991S but I am still not bored with the M3 yet. It's that good of a vehicle (for me). A very precise instrument I enjoy in ruthless DC streets and incredibly well balanced on the track. Am 6'4" too.

This was the new toy which I thought I'd enjoy but it was more paranoia than fun. Excellent on the track but nonsense everywhere else. Again M3 shone in (much easier to live with). Money no object, I love the dct m3 with exhaust mod (stock it's numb)

Cup car was for cage/safety as my conscience is biting me a lot. Intend to ship a gt4 m3 now that they are less competitive in Europe.

Lutfy
cool cars! enjoy!

i'm at a point where seriously considering swapping to a cheaper track toy because shit is getting expensive especially with baby funds that will start.
      04-04-2016, 04:21 PM   #161
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I totally forgot to go to the download sessions at Laguna seca... Nobody seemed to notice, but my etiquette is good, so probably not too much shit talking.
      04-04-2016, 04:26 PM   #162
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef
I totally forgot to go to the download sessions at Laguna seca... Nobody seemed to notice, but my etiquette is good, so probably not too much shit talking.
Half the time they get numbers and cars wrong. One time they called me "number 86" and said yeah it's Phil. Then I go um im not a blue GTR. When you get to the blue gtr the number is way off. It's because I was a blur in all that tire smoke
      04-04-2016, 04:29 PM   #163
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef
Half the time they get numbers and cars wrong. One time they called me "number 86" and said yeah it's Phil. Then I go um im not a blue GTR. When you get to the blue gtr the number is way off. It's because I was a blur in all that tire smoke
Yea, I don't know what they would say anyways, "I was pointing that m3 by way too much."
      04-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #164
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
I will say that the download meetings that SV has are nice - you can dime people out if they're not following the rules or they're being stupid, something you have to do on your own with SD.

I like both groups now. I have had isolated bad experiences with both groups, but it wasn't a big deal. I had to deal with the Fast and Furious once at Buttonwillow with SD that I got sorted out by talking to the event organizers, and I had conga line traffic once with SV which made it totally unfun, but they were both isolated incidents.
I was at BW with SV once where this jackass in a roached out Civic thought he was Mario Andretti. Passing without point, dive bombing and blipping his obnoxiously loud raspy Greddy exhaust in the hot pit because he was anxious to go out. A couple people complained about that dude, but Aaron didn't kick him out. I couldn't believe it, not sure why.

Karma did though, as his car blew oil all over the esses and he had to get towed home.

Appreciate 1
      04-04-2016, 06:47 PM   #165
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post

I was at BW with SV once where this jackass in a roached out Civic thought he was Mario Andretti. Passing without point, dive bombing and blipping his obnoxiously loud raspy Greddy exhaust in the hot pit because he was anxious to go out. A couple people complained about that dude, but Aaron didn't kick him out. I couldn't believe it, not sure why.

Karma did though, as his car blew oil all over the esses and he had to get towed home.

Can't stop the fast and furious folks in any organization. That's why I exclusively do not go to extreme speed events
      04-04-2016, 07:02 PM   #166
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

i've heard the worst stuff about extreme speed... i won't even consider going to one of their events.

there were a few integras/civics/rsx's at laguna seca. they had decent etiquette, but i hated being around them because their cars absolutely stunk and were unnecessarily loud. slow too, but i can share.
      04-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #167
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
That's why I exclusively do not go to extreme speed events
XS wasn't bad the one time I ran with them, but the guy that runs the org is kinda a creeper. He was all over the Time Attack girls and kept driving around in his golf cart trying to pressure people into buying track packs...

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 07:29 PM   #168
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Lutfy
i've always liked those cars. i have never sat in one. where are you finding the discomfort? do you fit ok with a helmet but just cramped elsewhere?
      04-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #169
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Couple of my favorite pics from Laguna. Not super impressed, lots of blurry photos. What do you want for free, I guess.
Attached Images

04-04-2016, 09:43 PM   #170
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Free? Nice!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 01:37 AM   #171
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
i've always liked those cars. i have never sat in one. where are you finding the discomfort? do you fit ok with a helmet but just cramped elsewhere?
Head actually sticks out of the cage. Meaning touching the roof panel. I can remove the panel but essentially not safe in a rollover.

Spoke with Lotus Motorsport and they suggested mounting seat straight to the floor. Tried that (put on the floor without bolting and not using any side mounts or such) and head is 45mm still higher.

If we raise the thought bolster (tilting the seat), then it works but then knee rubs on the wheel.

Life is a paradox.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 01:49 AM   #172
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Well that's a bummer.

Last edited by roastbeef; 04-05-2016 at 05:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 08:13 AM   #173
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Head actually sticks out of the cage. Meaning touching the roof panel. I can remove the panel but essentially not safe in a rollover.

Spoke with Lotus Motorsport and they suggested mounting seat straight to the floor. Tried that (put on the floor without bolting and not using any side mounts or such) and head is 45mm still higher.

If we raise the thought bolster (tilting the seat), then it works but then knee rubs on the wheel.

Life is a paradox.
Have you considered trying a different seat, perhaps with a thinner seat bottom, or simply removing the bottom cushions? Still not sure if that gets you there.
      04-05-2016, 09:18 AM   #174
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy
Quote:

Life is a paradox.
Might need custom cf shell with minimal padding?
      04-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #175
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Might need custom cf shell with minimal padding?
I gave up after trying multiple options

Car is for sale.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...e-hand-359553/

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 05:06 PM   #176
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Anyone running BW this weekend?