BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

09-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #67
WonderWagon
aka NateDogg elsewhere...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Ive never purchased a car from CarMax.... I know they say they have a no-haggle policy, but were you able to haggle?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #68
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderWagon View Post
Ive never purchased a car from CarMax.... I know they say they have a no-haggle policy, but were you able to haggle?
I was not.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #69
cannga
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 & Porsche 997 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderWagon View Post
No haggle on anything for me - car price or insurance. It's the fastest and most stress free car purchase I have ever done.

I highly recommend using the powerful and useful Carmax search/email alert function. Enter the miles to limit your alert to good low mileage car only. Don't put any limit on where car is as any car on any Carmax in the country could be transferred for a fee (if you so desire).
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #70
cannga
Private First Class
Rep

Found article below. The part I highlighted in bold face in the article shows just how terribly engineered this sound system is. As you drive faster and system is turned louder, the low frequency of the sound is attenuated!
I agree with this article and would suggest that the S-Volume be decreased to the least amount possible, which is -1 in our car.

>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/kn...me+in+your+BMW
Adjusting the Speed Sensitive Volume in your BMW
Many of today's modern BMW's contain an adjustment within the radio that allows the user to adjust the speed sensitive volume of the audio system.

Here's what that means:
As the vehicle RPM's increase, the radio automatically does two things:
Increases the volume of the radio
Decreases the low-end frequency response in order to minimize distortion at higher volumes

This is done by BMW to preserve the audio system and to minimize the likelihood that a speaker will become damaged or an amplifier channel will go bad. But, since you're a responsible, BSW listener now, this isn't going to be an issue in your BMW.
So, to learn how you turn the speed sensitive volume essentially "off" in your BMW, see the attached BMW file. You're going to enter the radio service mode, and scroll through the options until you see "speed volume". Adjust this to "1". This is the minimal setting and ensures that the least amount of equalization will occur to your music.

Last edited by cannga; 09-10-2013 at 01:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 01:14 AM   #71
cannga
Private First Class
Rep

BTW, I have been fiddling with the sound and like it better now. The problem with this system as I've mentioned is that it has no punch whatsoever in the mid bass area. Dynamics is sorely lacking as a result and system sounds like a cheap small radio. The solution: The key is to increase the low end response of this system, which is the 100 hz slider in the equalizer. Also add plus 5 for bass, and plus 5 for treble. Yes, I hate to admit it but this is basically a loudness curve. Please don't report me to the audiophile police. Just kidding - I am a seasoned and nutty audiophile of many years myself (all tube Conrad Johnson, Magnaplanar, Krell, Thiel, Theta Casablanca, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #72
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

nice set of cars.
      09-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #73
cannga
Private First Class
Rep

Interesting comment from Car & Driver 10/2013, comparing E90 (335i) to F30 (328i) steering:

In summary, the most significant change from the E90 to the F30 results from the switch to electric power-steering assist, which diminishes feel. Body roll in the two cars is indentical, but the use of the rear-suspension understeer instead of large tires in back may be why the new 328i feels less agile turning into corners. All of it adds up to a softer, tamer 3-series that's more about luxury than fun.

My feeling remains same: new M3 will most likely be faster at Nurburgring, will be more efficient, but the intangible parameter, "driver's feedback," will suffer. It is interesting that the same trend has been observed in 2 fantastic lines of cars with great pedigree: BMW M3 and Porsche 911.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #74
cannga
Private First Class
Rep

I've read that M3 has both variable ratio ("adaptive") and variable assist ("servotronic") steering. Questions for the veterans here pls, just curious:

1. Does anyone know how the steering ratio varies? How much of a change are we talking about?

2. Servotronic Sport setting: I know Sport setting lessens level of assist, but I seem to feel that it varies the ratio as well and makes steering quicker (too aprupt for me). Does anyone feel the same?
2011.75 BMW M3 - DCT with Ohlins Coilover - Ohlins Settings & Impression Here
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #75
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
BTW, I have been fiddling with the sound and like it better now. The problem with this system as I've mentioned is that it has no punch whatsoever in the mid bass area. Dynamics is sorely lacking as a result and system sounds like a cheap small radio. The solution: The key is to increase the low end response of this system, which is the 100 hz slider in the equalizer. Also add plus 5 for bass, and plus 5 for treble. Yes, I hate to admit it but this is basically a loudness curve. Please don't report me to the audiophile police. Just kidding - I am a seasoned and nutty audiophile of many years myself (all tube Conrad Johnson, Magnaplanar, Krell, Thiel, Theta Casablanca, etc.).
I saw your thoughts about the settings Malek recommends on 6spd (I've been lurking there the past couple of weeks). Can you give your exact setting, I'd love to try it out (E92 coupe with Enhanced)

Also, I would love to see a couple of shots of both cars together. I've already started a Speed Yellow Turbo fund.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #76
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I saw your thoughts about the settings Malek recommends on 6spd (I've been lurking there the past couple of weeks). Can you give your exact setting, I'd love to try it out (E92 coupe with Enhanced)

Also, I would love to see a couple of shots of both cars together. I've already started a Speed Yellow Turbo fund.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #77
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #78
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Was following your post on 6spd and saw that you weren't a fan of Malek's settings. Can you please post yours (complete), I'd like to try it just to see the difference (E92 with enhanced).

Would also love to see a photoshoot of your 2 cars together. It's such an unbeatable combo, I started a Speed Yellow Turbo fund last week haha.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #79
cannga
Private First Class
Rep

W///, I would recommend the settings below. First, let me introduce my other hobby :-): I am a seasoned audiophile of many years, and actually am even nuttier about sound than car, if that's possible. My favorite audio hang-out is AVS Audiophile Forum http://www.avsforum.com/f/86/ultra-h...ht-gear-20-000 where hot, very hot, debates about every little thing about sound are the norm; yes we are crazy LOL.
Audio is subjective, and how we adjust is a complicated topics; the basic principle, to me anyway, is no matter what measurements anyone uses, if it doesn't sound right, then it can't be right.

What I observe with BMW Enhanced Sound: The bass is missing. Sound is anemic, as if coming from a cheap radio.

What direction I think changes should be made: Increase low frequency, meaning the 100-200 range. Sound could become overly warm when you do this, so treble may need to be boosted a little.
This is why I was surprised at Makek's settings which boost 1 khz +6, and 10 khz +7, in addition to treble at +5. Malek's setting, to my ears anyway, are the opposite of what should be done to the system, and actually make the sound worse: very strident and harsh, still with no bass. Observation stays the same with surround either on or off.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
EQ Settings: E90 M3, Enhanced Premium Sound:
100 Hz: +3 to +5 (This could be altered to your taste, if sound is too warm and lacks clairity, adjust down, if sound is too thin, bring this up.)
200 Hz: +2
500 Hz: +1
1k Hz: 0 (surprised at Malek's setting of +6 here)
2k Hz: 0
5k Hz: 0
10k Hz: 0 (surprised at Malek's setting of +7 here)

Bass: +5
Treble: +5
Fader: 0
Balance: 0

Surround Processing: Off. Dirac is a well known company in audiophile community but sound processing in car stereo tends to be gimmicky and this is no exception. Dirac is actually about to be added to my Surround Sound Processor, Theta Casablanca IIIHD, but Dirac in the BMW M3 does not sound good. It alters the voice, making it echoey, somewhat nasal tone, and more hollow (IOW gimmicky): put on your favorite song and pay attention to what it does to the voice.

Speed Sensitive S-VOL should be set to 1. SS-Vol is a bad idea period and you should minimize its effect as much as possbile. Anyone please correct me as needed, but I've read that SS-Vol decreases the low-end frequency response in order to minimize distortion at higher volumes (!!!-enough said).

Last edited by cannga; 10-01-2013 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #80
cannga
Private First Class
Rep

BTW, your post appeared 4 times for whatever reason. If you don't already know: hit Edit and Delete to get rid of the extra posts.

Anyway, good luck and hope the above helps. Sound debate could go on for pages and pages, but the bottom line is the sound has to come out "normal." Normal being the standard that you hear in a good home system, with familiar material. There is no question in my mind that the Enhanced Sound in BMW M3, Dirac or not, needs help. I don't ever want to mess with equalizer setting so much (my home system in fact has no tone control) but here this move is necessary.

Last edited by cannga; 10-01-2013 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #81
AdonM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt

Both are amazing machines.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #82
E92M3GT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I've had 3 Porsches before and now that I have my 2013 E92 M3 Competition Package, I truly do not miss having a Porsche

Maybe I'll get an aircooled 911, but I am not missing a modern Porsche now... Honestly speaking...

The E92 M3 is a perfect complete package. Not the fastest, not the most exclusive car, but excellent it is !
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #83
cannga
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks again for the nice comments. Yes I love both of them, for different reasons; they are indeed very different from each other.

Only one other "complaint" is the M3 brake. Perhaps it's not a fair comparison because I am used to the PCCB carbon fiber brake of my Turbo with its stupendous initial bite, but the M3 brake feels under-powered for a car with this powerful of an engine. I do not know what the numbers show as far as stopping distance, but subjectively, the brake feels spongy to me and doesn't give the "I could stop you INSTANTLY" sensation that I'd love to have.

But this of course could be easily corrected with after market bigger brake. What is the most popular brake replacement that people use for the M3, for street driving?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 12:21 AM   #84
cannga
Private First Class
Rep

I plasti dip the front "gaping mouth" part of the M3 front bumper - my least favorite part of its look. For a dark colored car, this gaping mouth is not a problem, but for a white car, it gets on my nerves :-).

This is a personal preference so your mileage may vary. Below are before and after.

Lastly I continue to enjoy the M3 greatly, even compared against my Porsche Turbo. The fast steering ratio (12.5) and the thick steering wheel remains the most favorite part of the car. Well, tied for first is the amazing V8 and its sound, even with just stock exhaust. I enjoy also the DCT gear box - sometimes loving it more than the Porsche's manual gearbox. This has got to be one of the best sports sedan ever built - not to be matched again because there will be no more V8 and no more hydraulic type power steering.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 12:24 AM   #85
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92/ 2012 Chevy Volt

that "gaping mouth" happens to be a part i like about the front design on the E9X M3.....so can't say i like what you've done.

but, if you dig it, that's all that counts. congrats on the ingenuity of using plasti dip to get a look you want out of your M3. you have a great looking car !
E92 M3, Indv. Frozen Grey ext., Indv. Rust Brown int.. BC Racing wheels HB-So2, Vorsteiner aero lip, BMW CF spoiler, BMW black chrome grills and gills, IND color match reflector inserts, gloss black wrapped hood vents, M performance exhaust, Dinan CF intake, M5 shift knob, BMW performance pedals.....
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881105.00
      05-06-2014, 12:25 AM   #86
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
I plasti dip the front "gaping mouth" part of the M3 front bumper - my least favorite part of its look. For a dark colored car, this gaping mouth is not a problem, but for a white car, it gets on my nerves :-).

This is a personal preference so your mileage may vary. Below are before and after.

Lastly I continue to enjoy the M3 greatly, even compared against my Porsche Turbo. The fast steering ratio (12.5) and the thick steering wheel remains the most favorite part of the car. Well, tied for first is the amazing V8 and its sound, even with just stock exhaust. I enjoy also the DCT gear box - sometimes loving it more than the Porsche's manual gearbox. This has got to be one of the best sports sedan ever built - not to be matched again because there will be no more V8 and no more hydraulic type power steering.

05-06-2014, 12:34 AM   #87
cannga
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperjack View Post
that "gaping mouth" happens to be a part i like about the front design on the E9X M3.....so can't say i like what you've done.

but, if you dig it, that's all that counts. congrats on the ingenuity of using plasti dip to get a look you want out of your M3. you have a great looking car !
Thanks. I thought the experiment is worth it because it could be peeled off easily.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 12:48 AM   #88
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92/ 2012 Chevy Volt

Quote:
Thanks. I thought the experiment is worth it because it could be peeled off easily.
that is the beauty of plastidip. you can experiment without the risk!
E92 M3, Indv. Frozen Grey ext., Indv. Rust Brown int.. BC Racing wheels HB-So2, Vorsteiner aero lip, BMW CF spoiler, BMW black chrome grills and gills, IND color match reflector inserts, gloss black wrapped hood vents, M performance exhaust, Dinan CF intake, M5 shift knob, BMW performance pedals.....
Appreciate 0