BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

02-04-2018, 09:31 PM   #1
turbosocal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Eliminate Fender Gap--Please Help w/Recommendations

Guys, need a little help--NEWB here.

Best & most economical solution to get rid of the gap between wheel and fender on my stock 08 E90 M3? Want to maintain stock feel, just drop enough to eliminate most of the gap, but hopefully no rub or change in ride quality as this is my DD. Thanks for your recommendations guys.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...7#post22742217
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #2
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Add weather stripping to fenders
      02-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #3
turbosocal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Add weather stripping to fenders

Hilarious
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
ricardofors68
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 M5

You could look into kits like K&W or Ground Control which sells you a coilover conversion for your stock suspension, those kits will let you eliminate as much wheel gap as possible and allow to keep your stock struts. Lowering Springs probably cheaper, but you are limited to however much they lower the car.
I've done lowering springs in the past and eventually you will move on as you either blow your stock shocks or don't want the extra bounce or jarring feeling. Some like it, or I should say, don't mind it.
I would pay more for adjustability, but if you want to set it and forget it maybe a set of aftermarket shocks built for lowered vehicles and matched springs.

I did a lot of searching in these forums to find just what I wanted, plenty of pics and tech specs for free.
      02-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #5
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

As others have said, a spring set may do the trick for you. When the car first came out, it was either springs or a full set of coilovers if you were willing to ditch EDC. Since then, KW has actually come out with a HAS kit that allows the adjustability of a coilover while retaining EDC functionality.

For a DD, I think this is truly the best of both worlds and the price point puts it about on par with a spring set / shock replacement.

Let me know if you'd like any more information or help!
      02-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #6
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

If you change the springs, the ride quality will change. There is no way around that. The shock is designed to work with the OEM springs and anything aftermarket will throw that off. Especially if you have many miles on your stock struts and shocks.

Maybe get a set of ZCP (competition package) springs from an E90. Hard to find but will retain subtle ride comfort.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 01:26 AM   #7
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Just search. There's a plethora of threads on this topic, you are far from the first one to ask such a question.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 07:49 AM   #8
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@IND View Post
As others have said, a spring set may do the trick for you. When the car first came out, it was either springs or a full set of coilovers if you were willing to ditch EDC. Since then, KW has actually come out with a HAS kit that allows the adjustability of a coilover while retaining EDC functionality.

For a DD, I think this is truly the best of both worlds and the price point puts it about on par with a spring set / shock replacement.

Let me know if you'd like any more information or help!
How would you compare the ride quality and performance of the HAS system vs ZCP shocks with Swift springs? I am not happy with my current setup it feels “sloppy”. Im either going to go HAS or Ohlins R&T.

I had the HAS on my F80 and the ride was good but they were a pain in the butt due to inner wheel clearance issues up front. Couldnt even mount stock wheels without spacers. Does this kit have the same downfall?

EDC isnt a big deal for me as I never move out of “sport”. So would that push you towards full coils?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #9
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
How would you compare the ride quality and performance of the HAS system vs ZCP shocks with Swift springs? I am not happy with my current setup it feels “sloppy”. Im either going to go HAS or Ohlins R&T.

I had the HAS on my F80 and the ride was good but they were a pain in the butt due to inner wheel clearance issues up front. Couldnt even mount stock wheels without spacers. Does this kit have the same downfall?

EDC isnt a big deal for me as I never move out of “sport”. So would that push you towards full coils?
My E90 has KW Clubsport coilovers on it, so I can't speak directly to the HAS kit ride quality on this chassis, but on the F10 M5, F87 M2, F82 M4 I found that the ride was much better than an equivalent OEM shock / aftermarket spring combination. Predicability goes up and consequently, confidence goes up.

Spring perch diameter is always a little bit of a concern. I would have to look into exactly how much clearance you'd have on the E90 versus the F80, but I would imagine that you'd have more room to play with overall. Indeed, with a full coilover, you'd have less issues with spring / spring perch clearance.

Just as an example on my KW Clubsports, I am running 18x9.5+18 BBS FI with a 275 Falken 615K and I still have enough inboard clearance.

If you're not committed to EDC, a full coilover is certainly an appealing option, even for a DD...though the library of options certainly doesn't make the decision much easier, haha. Are you planning to stick to OEM wheels or eventually go aftermarket?