BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

05-03-2014, 07:30 AM   #45
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

I may see what my not so local dealer offers....

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #46
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I was going to do this with a private party seller but I went to a used car lot as I didn't think that a large lot dealer would do this.

The small car lot dealer wanted to make a $2k profit so the seller was at $38k and I would end up buying at $40k.

I walked in the end but interesting proposal all the same. Great option for those who want to buy from a dealer due to financing options vs a private party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrammer View Post
Done this 3 times in the past with great success.

Advertise your car on cars.com or equivalent for half way between trade-in value and market value … and offer the buyer to purchase through a dealer … as that way everyone is protected!

For example, the dealer offers you $30k (wholesale) for your car while they have a similar one on the lot for $40k (retail).

Since you are buying a "new to you" car from the dealer you offer to bring your own buyer and now the selling price on your trade is $35K.

Buyer deals with the dealer and gets a $40k retail car for $35k so he is happy … and you get $35k for your trade less the $400 doc fee to do the deal … and you buy the "new to you car" from the dealer and save the $4,600 on the trade-in and therefore the difference on the taxes too …. and the dealer is happy because your trade is an in-and-out deal and they move a car off their lot in one day .. with that in mind, the sales person gets paid too!

Sounds interesting doesn't it … shop it around and you will be surprised how many dealers will step up and do this type of deal!

Go to your local dealership and make initial contact with the business manager … not a sales person … and you will be good to go!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #47
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

Well I got no response back after they looked at my car online (www.mjposner.com/bmwm3) so I think my best bet is to bight the bullet and buy an extended warranty and enjoy the car for at least the next two years. After my disaster with Autopom/Mercury Group (http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=977624) I think I'll stick with a BMW warranty.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #48
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Maybe I'm not reading this correctly but I am failing to see the logic. Why would a dealer "sell" a car for you at no profit? Seems like instead of making money on two cars (the one you are buying plus eventually the one you are trading in) the dealer is only making profit on one car (the one you are buying)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrammer View Post
Done this 3 times in the past with great success.

Advertise your car on cars.com or equivalent for half way between trade-in value and market value … and offer the buyer to purchase through a dealer … as that way everyone is protected!

For example, the dealer offers you $30k (wholesale) for your car while they have a similar one on the lot for $40k (retail).

Since you are buying a "new to you" car from the dealer you offer to bring your own buyer and now the selling price on your trade is $35K.

Buyer deals with the dealer and gets a $40k retail car for $35k so he is happy … and you get $35k for your trade less the $400 doc fee to do the deal … and you buy the "new to you car" from the dealer and save the $4,600 on the trade-in and therefore the difference on the taxes too …. and the dealer is happy because your trade is an in-and-out deal and they move a car off their lot in one day .. with that in mind, the sales person gets paid too!

Sounds interesting doesn't it … shop it around and you will be surprised how many dealers will step up and do this type of deal!

Go to your local dealership and make initial contact with the business manager … not a sales person … and you will be good to go!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #49
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play View Post
Don't get so into yourself tooting your own horn lol $1000 profit isn't even worth thinking about - unless yourforgot about your own time, taxes, registration, etc.

The dealer is calling you because they want to sucker you into another sale - you really think they are calling because they "want" or need your car you are truly a dreaming. It's all marketing ploy....

As to the OP ~ you want convenience of a dealer you have to pay for it but if you sell private party, well as the others here have said it's quite a bit of work so no free lunch as they say.
Hahahahaha, that old gag .
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #50
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

Don't know why you guys always think the dealer is the stupid one!

Dealers aren't stupid, at least not the ones in business for many years. There is no free lunch as my daddy has always taught me. You want help, you better pay. Dealers will buy your car ANYDAY of the week but they aren't going to give you top dollar, doh!
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 11:27 PM   #51
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Maybe I'm not reading this correctly but I am failing to see the logic. Why would a dealer "sell" a car for you at no profit? Seems like instead of making money on two cars (the one you are buying plus eventually the one you are trading in) the dealer is only making profit on one car (the one you are buying)
Two minutes of heaven is better than no minutes of heaven … think of that next time you are making love … in other words the dealer gets part of your private sale (one deal) instead of nothing!

Trust me it works!!!

… as stated earlier …. go to your local dealership and make initial contact with the business manager … not a sales person … and you will be good to go!

Last edited by scrammer; 05-04-2014 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 06:09 AM   #52
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Ok now that really makes no sense...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #53
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

Most dealers I've dealt with are happy when they don't have to deal with a trade so if you have a buyer lined up then they will be fine with it. Especially if the PP buyer uses their financing which they get a kick back on plus a few hundred in fees.

They are already making out on the car that you are buying from them.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 07:43 AM   #54
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
I agree
I may have overpaid slightly but I just picked up a 2010 M3 DCT Sedan from Carmax with 43K miles for less than $42K and pretty much loaded with everything except cold pkg, alarm and comp pkg.
Came with Macht Schnell intake, BMW carbon splitters and BMW carbon side view mirror covers which also sweetened the deal.

I tried hard negotiating with other dealers in my area and even dealers out of state. Most 2011's with same or slightly less mileage were in the $48-52K price range and would only budge a few hundred dollars.

Maybe because sedans are a bit harder to come by than coupes, the dealers are less willing to deal.

Yep, my 2011.5 sedan (ZCP, all options except headlamp washers) with a perfect service record was a couple thousand below the local dealers. I had to pay $850 to have the car sent from a SoCal CarMax, but it was worth it.
      05-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #55
MrGroup
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

Sounds like you decided to keep the car. Congrats. You mentioned you have access to USAA. I recently sold my wife's car through USAA's TrueCar service. Got tons of offers and sold the car within a week. It's free. You can also opt to get an offer from an "approved" dealer (whatever that means) which of course is going to be a low-ball but handy if you need to move the car quickly.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #56
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Yep, my 2011.5 sedan (ZCP, all options except headlamp washers) with a perfect service record was a couple thousand below the local dealers. I had to pay $850 to have the car sent from a SoCal CarMax, but it was worth it.
Sounds like you had the exact same experience as me. And shipped your car from the same place.

The CarMax warranty is pretty bomb too if you bought it. I got a buddy with an E60 who has already had 8k of work done from a warranty he only paid 3500 for originally...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #57
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGroup View Post
Sounds like you decided to keep the car. Congrats. You mentioned you have access to USAA. I recently sold my wife's car through USAA's TrueCar service. Got tons of offers and sold the car within a week. It's free. You can also opt to get an offer from an "approved" dealer (whatever that means) which of course is going to be a low-ball but handy if you need to move the car quickly.
I went with USAA as well and sold the car to a dealer who had offered $1200 more than Car Max. I was pleased with the service.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0