BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

04-06-2023, 09:57 AM   #1
jdauti
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 Comp

E92 Rear Window Moulding

Has anyone had success without removing the glass?

I did the front and it was an easy DIY. With the rear, my glass is placed closer to the body a tad but making it difficult to fit it in(including greasing the moulding).

Any tips, suggestions are appreciated.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      04-06-2023, 02:50 PM   #2
jmeenach
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I used the same method as removing the molding for the windshield. I was able to get underneath the edge of the molding at the bottom of the glass with the trunk open, which allowed me to pull it all the way around the glass in one piece.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      04-07-2023, 06:31 AM   #3
jdauti
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 Comp

Great idea, didn’t think of that. That should help hopefully get through the super tight areas. What did you use to grease?

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      04-12-2023, 03:54 PM   #4
jmeenach
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdauti View Post
Great idea, didn’t think of that. That should help hopefully get through the super tight areas. What did you use to grease?

Thanks!
My installation method was not for the faint of heart lol. I made a small block from an old trim removal piece that I placed on the thickest portion of the trim and tapped that piece with a mallet. I went all the way around the trim slowly to make sure the entire piece would not bubble up. I left a small tail from the adhesive backing sticking out at the bottom so I could then pull the tab once I confirmed the trim was in the correct position.

It's important to line up the corners of the trim before you start tapping in, because the pressure makes it difficult to move once the installation started, even before pulling the adhesive tab off.. I messed up my first windshield trim install and had to do it all over again!

I did this strictly as a DYI with tools I had handy, so there is a very good chance a professional installer would recommend another method.
Appreciate 0