BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

06-01-2023, 09:04 AM   #23
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterpanda View Post
I'd imagine it all depends on how much exposure businesses like Bimmerworld have with EPA and what sort of enforcement mechanisms exist today - regular joes like us don't work in the industry, so I'm not going to pretend to know all the behind-the-scene details but I'd assume that companies like Bimmerworld would be required to prove intent to follow policy by documenting their due diligence with the customer before selling potentially parts for non-compliant usage. Otherwise, they risk being in trouble with a federal agency, which is not something anyone would want to risk.

Full disclosure, I run cats on all my cars because I think it's just the right thing to do. But I won't argue on the internet about what you should or should not be doing, or encourage or disclose any fraudulent activities. I enjoy my liberties within reason
Problem is some states require cats and Some states don’t. Hell, there’s countries that don’t require smog and pollute a shit ton.

My entire view is this.. if we collectively want to make a difference in the air we breath EVERYONE needs to be on board.. it can’t be a situation like we’re in now where cali has some of the strictest laws on smog and then just 500-1k miles north of socal you have Oregan and WA with no smog and you can run free in the wild without a single cat.

It’s complete bs and the whole thing is just stupid imo
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 09:10 AM   #24
nrubenstein
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3/E36 M3/E46 M3/E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneS54 View Post
With this government, even breathing is getting risky.
You can thank VW and then diesel coal rolling dipshits for the attention to vendors of non-emissions hardware.

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 09:51 AM   #25
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siajoon View Post
Problem is some states require cats and Some states don’t. Hell, there’s countries that don’t require smog and pollute a shit ton.

My entire view is this.. if we collectively want to make a difference in the air we breath EVERYONE needs to be on board.. it can’t be a situation like we’re in now where cali has some of the strictest laws on smog and then just 500-1k miles north of socal you have Oregan and WA with no smog and you can run free in the wild without a single cat.

It’s complete bs and the whole thing is just stupid imo
Unfortunately the volume of people and thereby car contributed smog is real in Cali. I don’t think CATs play a meaningful part in reducing green house gasses but they do reduce the impacts to air quality. Which is important for those communities and the vulnerable population that have to live in those emissions 24/7.

Whether WA or OR restrict emissions is irrelevant.

I have a track car with no cats in Colorado that does get driven to / from the track. It’s not ideal, but I wouldn’t do this with a daily driver.
      06-01-2023, 09:56 AM   #26
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Unfortunately the volume of people and thereby car contributed smog is real in Cali. I don’t think CATs play a meaningful part in reducing green house gasses but they do reduce the impacts to air quality. Which is important for those communities and the vulnerable population that have to live in those emissions 24/7.

Whether WA or OR restrict emissions is irrelevant.

I have a track car with no cats in Colorado that does get driven to / from the track. It’s not ideal, but I wouldn’t do this with a daily driver.
Why is it irrelevant whether WA or OR restrict emissions????? And how about the other countries that emit tons of pollution?

This should be something handled by the United Nations if we want to see a change not just random states doing there own thing. That’s the only way it makes sense in my eyes
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 10:37 AM   #27
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siajoon View Post
Why is it irrelevant whether WA or OR restrict emissions????? And how about the other countries that emit tons of pollution?

This should be something handled by the United Nations if we want to see a change not just random states doing there own thing. That’s the only way it makes sense in my eyes
Because smog is largely isolated to its origin. If you don’t want to leave in a city with dense air pollutants you need to cut that pollution within the city. Hence the vehicle requirements. Yes there are other contributors but cars do impact. COVID traffic reduction was a great example.

Regarding green house gases, etc. I’m 1000% in agreement we need actual systemic improvements to drive any meaningful change. Unfortaintely taxes and or monetary damages just don’t work today because we can’t charge enough to make it a deterrent. Another problem with concentrated wealth…
      06-01-2023, 10:48 AM   #28
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Carbon emissions are the same - cats or no cats. It's the unoxidized NOx gases (and I think the share of CO versus CO2 but all still carbon) and to a lesser extent unoxidized sulfur gases that cats address. (actually a little more nuanced. I joking refer to going catless as an attempt to decrease my carbon footprint. Going catless or race cats can technically improve fuel efficiency and reduce carbon emissions but of course as typically utilized for performance probably leads to an increase in carbon emissions due to the advancement of performance at an expense of MPG).

Live in WA. We had emissions testing for decades but with the advancement of emissions technology in the modern fleet on the road and low rate of failures, it was deemed unnecessary and ended a few years ago. But it's still not exactly legal in my state and I'm sure in Oregon to run without catalytic converters, but I think it's a secondary violation rather than something they can pull you over for. Would look for that to change in coming years but MH and substance use crises have kept our legislators busy.

I run test pipes and retained the secondary cats, agree cat-less is not ideal for a passenger car and personally wouldn't go there.

Last edited by CamasM3e93; 06-01-2023 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
VR1636.50