BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-25-2021, 06:00 PM   #23
MouseMike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: me crazy

Sell it and get a carboproject.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #24
phantome46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Convertible - Sakhir

Misfire after plenum

So i fitted my plenum today and it was as difficult as the post described took 2 of us pushing down on it to get the best fit possible - rubbers still not tight up against the top like factory. But i then tightened all of the clips as tight as i dare.

Rebuilt the car back up started up and obvious misfire!!!!

Dis mantled and reassembled 3 times totally off and cant seem to stop it.

I have sprayed all of the pipes and connectors to the plenum with brake cleaner whilst the engine is running to see if i can spot a rev pick up as to look for the leak but nothing. (I also have no whooshing or obvious air draw i can hear with ear to car in engine bay)

So I am at a loss, not there when i dismantled the car and now still there!

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 06:02 PM   #25
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantome46 View Post
So i fitted my plenum today and it was as difficult as the post described took 2 of us pushing down on it to get the best fit possible - rubbers still not tight up against the top like factory. But i then tightened all of the clips as tight as i dare.

Rebuilt the car back up started up and obvious misfire!!!!

Dis mantled and reassembled 3 times totally off and cant seem to stop it.

I have sprayed all of the pipes and connectors to the plenum with brake cleaner whilst the engine is running to see if i can spot a rev pick up as to look for the leak but nothing. (I also have no whooshing or obvious air draw i can hear with ear to car in engine bay)

So I am at a loss, not there when i dismantled the car and now still there!

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
Once the car is running you can no longer hear the whistle but I believe the leak is still there. I suspect that is what is causing the misfire as the air metering gets messed up. My plenum is back at Eventuri for inspection. Have not heard anything back yet.
2018 GT3
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 07:21 PM   #26
phantome46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I’m not sure how you could have fitted it any differently it sort of finds it’s own place and will only go down so far.

I’m stuck on how to determine if it is air and where it’s getting in?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 08:47 PM   #27
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I’m not sure how you could have fitted it any differently it sort of finds it’s own place and will only go down so far.

I’m stuck on how to determine if it is air and where it’s getting in?
Not sure it is the runners. It is the plastic elbow with the rubber grommet on the front. I think the leak is there causing the misfires. At least for mine that is what I suspect. There is tension on it pulling it so it creates a gap.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 02:47 PM   #28
phantome46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselmw View Post
Not sure it is the runners. It is the plastic elbow with the rubber grommet on the front. I think the leak is there causing the misfires. At least for mine that is what I suspect. There is tension on it pulling it so it creates a gap.
I’ve opened mine up today and use some headlight sealant around that pipe you refer and also inside the MAF sensor to be sure it doesn’t leak but no change at all.

Starting to think it’s not related to that at all!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 02:56 PM   #29
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I’ve opened mine up today and use some headlight sealant around that pipe you refer and also inside the MAF sensor to be sure it doesn’t leak but no change at all.

Starting to think it’s not related to that at all!
Did you check inside the rear hose connection. I never looked in there but wonder if that area is blocked up inside? It did not seem like stock.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 11:47 AM   #30
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Here is an update on mine. It looks like my other suspicion was correct. The rear connector which I thought was not stock looking was indeed the issue. The internal pipe was blocked causing the issue. That might be the same issue for phantome46. I would contact Eventuri to see. My new one is on it’s way to me so hopefully will get it soon and do the install again!

This is why I luv IND and now Eventuri. They really take care of any issues when they come up.
2018 GT3
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2021, 12:56 PM   #31
phantome46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Here is an update on mine. It looks like my other suspicion was correct. The rear connector which I thought was not stock looking was indeed the issue. The internal pipe was blocked causing the issue. That might be the same issue for phantome46. I would contact Eventuri to see. My new one is on it’s way to me so hopefully will get it soon and do the install again!

This is why I luv IND and now Eventuri. They really take care of any issues when they come up.
Mine was ok I’d knocked off the cylinder 3 lead causing the misfire.

Really glad you have it sorted though they sound immense
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 10:02 PM   #32
M3anest
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Alpine White

Surprised that Eventuri would have a fitment issue, I thought it was only karbonius having to return the very first plenum design back just to receive another one that fit perfectly. Hope you fix this issue and keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 12:57 AM   #33
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3anest View Post
Surprised that Eventuri would have a fitment issue, I thought it was only karbonius having to return the very first plenum design back just to receive another one that fit perfectly. Hope you fix this issue and keep us posted
Fitment actually worked out fine, issue was internal to the rear breather tube. It was blocked. When you make hundreds of these, bound to get one not perfect. With aftermarket, parts are never perfect like factory so best to work with a company that stands behind their product. Both IND and Eventuri have been great throughout this process. Can't wait until the new one arrives as everything has been checked out. Since I have done this install/reinstall so many times, this time should be really quick.
2018 GT3
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 09:17 PM   #34
GotV8?
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jerez E92 M3 ZCP "12"

Garage List
I glad IND & Eventuri is taking care of you, curious what # plate was your production model, mine is #127 when I installed it, I simply ordered a new OEM sensor instead of swapping from my Plenum....zero issues. Hopefully the new one works out. Goodluck and keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 10:12 AM   #35
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

I'm #93 and my Indy (a BMW master tech) had no issues with the install.
And the hood closes…all the way
On the flip side, I wonder about the trumpets adhesive…but only when not worrying about grenading the mains.

The paranoid ownership experience of an S65 owner :
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 06:32 PM   #36
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
I'm #93 and my Indy (a BMW master tech) had no issues with the install.
And the hood closes…all the way
On the flip side, I wonder about the trumpets adhesive…but only when not worrying about grenading the mains.

The paranoid ownership experience of an S65 owner :
The faulty one was no 648, my new one should be here next week.
2018 GT3
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 11:15 PM   #37
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Final update. Got the replacement one back and reinstalled. The actually removed the number plate and put on the new one. The new one actually slide in much easier so I could tell something was different. In addition the the rear tube opening was clear. Install went fine and no cel. So happy. Sound is amazing and the look is just amazing. I tried with air box lid open and it sound way louder with it open. Now I am thinking about adding either the carbon eventual lid or armaspeed intake as it replaces the whole box. Anyone use the that air box?
2018 GT3
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 03:22 AM   #38
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

I just installed an Armaspeed. It is LOUD and growly. I have straight pipes and even then I clearly hear the Armaspeed airbox.

Downside is that fitment isn't the best. It rubbed against my bonnet and took some adjusting and some custom spacers to finally get it not to rub.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2021, 10:27 AM   #39
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I just installed an Armaspeed. It is LOUD and growly. I have straight pipes and even then I clearly hear the Armaspeed airbox.

Downside is that fitment isn't the best. It rubbed against my bonnet and took some adjusting and some custom spacers to finally get it not to rub.
Thanks for the feedback, i hate items that don’t fit like factory. Maybe i will just try the eventuri cover first
2018 GT3
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 10:53 AM   #40
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, i hate items that don’t fit like factory. Maybe i will just try the eventuri cover first
Prior to the Armaspeed, I had the Tecnocraft intake which had a Kevlar cover over the stock plastic airbox, similar to Eventuri airbox cover. It is nowhere near as loud as the Armaspeed.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 06:10 PM   #41
M3 hacker
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post

Yep - I had the same problem… I had to modify the bottom and trim the rubber grommet locator to make it sit lower.

It sounds awesome though and was worth the effort! I think it’s actually louder then my carbon plenum.
Appreciate 0