BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #45
e-solo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
Nice setup.

Personally, I prefer bare concrete with oil stains and sawdust scattered throughout. Seems more manly.
The dirtier the better!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #46
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Each flooring option has it's strengths and weaknesses. As with anything in construction it does depend on your climate, budget and needs. I'm in the flooring business and my family has been in the business for almost 40 years. We do not do garage flooring but here are my thoughts on the only options that I would consider off the top of my head:

Polished / Sealed Concrete: Looks great but will require up-keep to maintain the shine and avoid staining. Concrete is porous but the polishing process closes the pores to a point. You then want to install a quality sealer. The sealer will need to be reapplied at least annually depending on the usage in order to avoid staining. If you don't drip fluids then staining isn't an issue... In cold climates with sand and salt the concrete finish will dull and the salt can cause staining and possibly chipping of the surface -especially if you are not diligent with sealing. Polishing concrete is expensive.

Epoxy Coating - As others have stated, success is all about the prep. In order to have the best bond you will need to grind the floor. You will also want a high quality product. Using cheap product without proper prep will result in a floor that doesn't last and a mess to clean up in order to do the job right (vs. doing it right from the start). Epoxies wear out just like concrete sealers. They don't last forever and can also be damaged by sand and salt if it penetrates the surface (surface damage allowing it to get beneath the coating). This should be cheaper than polished concrete but will still be costly if done right. They work well in low-traffic situations such as our garages. My observation is that high traffic repair garages wear through this surface in +/-1 year.

Race-Deck Style - Cheap do-it-yourself option. I don't see this as a good option in an area that gets wet. I would only use this for a clean dry storage area.

Porcelain or Quarry Tile - A quality tile installed / prepped correctly is my favorite option for the most durable solution. Use a dark colored grout so staining isn't an issue (dark grout still looks dark when stained with oil). Prep is key - the concrete should be ground unless it's a new slab. You will also need the appropriate thin-set to withstand the weight of the cars. Note that I didn't state ceramic. Ceramic tile by definition has a glazed surface which when worn will reveal a different material. Porcelain and quarry tile are the same material throughout. This option is not without weaknesses such as it can be damaged by dropped tools will need to be cleaned just like the other options in order to maintain it's finish. You will notice that most high-end dealerships use tile in their showroom and repair bays.

Don't use VCT, rubber tile or any other vinyl product because it will fail if subjected to moisture.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
SoCalRPM885.50
      01-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #47
kaleb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 X5 35d

I have RaceDeck and I love it! The big advantage here is that when you move, you take the floor with you. I did just that last year when I moved to a new house. The tiles are easier on your knees than hard concrete or epoxy as well if you are ever down on the floor (it really is). The downside is you have to be careful with your floor jacks and jack stands. I use sheets/pieces of hardboard to prevent the jacks and jack stands from denting the floor. Spilling chemicals and latex paint on the floor is no problem, wipes right up. If a tile does become damaged, it's easy enough to replace it, especially compared to repairing an epoxy floor.

If you live in an area that snows a lot, using a combination of free-flow tiles and regular tiles will make it easy for melted slush/ice to flow through and not puddle on the floor. I don't have any issues with slippery tile when it rains, because typically that water is under the car and it evaporates/drains through in a reasonable amount of time.
2012 X5 35D - Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Options: Sport, Tech, Cold Weather, comfort seats, leather dash, high beam assist, lane-departure warning, soft-close doors, two-row, self-leveling suspension, hi-fi stereo
Tracks driven (in any car): Nürburgring Nordschleife (05/2011), LeMans (ok, just the public part), Eagles Canyon Raceway, MotorSport Ranch Cresson, COTA Austin
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #48
kaleb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 X5 35d

Before garage was finished at my last house...
2012 X5 35D - Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Options: Sport, Tech, Cold Weather, comfort seats, leather dash, high beam assist, lane-departure warning, soft-close doors, two-row, self-leveling suspension, hi-fi stereo
Tracks driven (in any car): Nürburgring Nordschleife (05/2011), LeMans (ok, just the public part), Eagles Canyon Raceway, MotorSport Ranch Cresson, COTA Austin
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 09:25 AM   #49
nikfiend
Registered
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E92 M3, E39 M5

I was looking for some examples for a refresh of my garage with paint or logos. I personally chose to order my tiles from https://modmyfloor.com because of the value. They sell Swisstrax but I chose their branded tiles called Drain-thru because they would allow spills and debris to be hidden but had a flat surface for my creeper. They also have great sales on the major holidays!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
OG Shark4654.50
      01-25-2019, 07:25 PM   #50
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Does anyone know what the big box stores like Loews or HomeDepot use? It appears to be polished concrete and maybe a sealer. Looks simple and durable.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 07:40 PM   #51
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Does anyone know what the big box stores like Loews or HomeDepot use? It appears to be polished concrete and maybe a sealer. Looks simple and durable.
It's just a regular clear anti static seal. You'll have to recoat regularly
      01-26-2019, 03:33 AM   #52
thkfast
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Sakhir Orange DCT

I love the look of a garage with an Epoxy floor. I finally went ahead and got an estimate from a professional floor coating company here in Iowa. It would include full prepping (some sort of blasting, then filling any imperfections), base coat and colored chips smoothed and clear coated. So, my 22' x 27' garage would cost about $3,000. Swisstrax is a little cheaper, totally customizable and as others have said, I could take it with me if I move.

I'm still leaning towards the epoxy route.

2015 F82 M4 - Sakhir Orange Metallic
2013 E92 M3 / 2013 E92 335is / 2010 E90 335i / 2007 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 09:06 AM   #53
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikfiend View Post
I was looking for some examples for a refresh of my garage with paint or logos. I personally chose to order my tiles from https://modmyfloor.com because of the value. They sell Swisstrax but I chose their branded tiles called Drain-thru because they would allow spills and debris to be hidden but had a flat surface for my creeper. They also have great sales on the major holidays!
Looks good. Can you use floor jacks / jack stands straight on these or do you need to support them?
Appreciate 1
capo142.00
      01-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #54
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikfiend View Post
Looks good. Can you use floor jacks / jack stands straight on these or do you need to support them?
If it is like my snap lock flooring, then no. Jack stands and floor jacks will cause damage.

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #55
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Snap lock is ok. Can be damaged easily and fluids get underneath it. I would not do it again.
Attached Images

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 12:06 PM   #56
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

I did a two part epoxy with clear sealant across the top from Sherwin Williams. I took the time to rent a concrete grinder and ground down the old coating (what a mess) and properly prepped the surface. It turned out ok. I followed the directions to a tee and left the garage empty for a week but the tires still stained the clear sealer for several weeks after. I feel it really should have had an extra coat of epoxy too. Apparently the SW stuff is the best stuff available to the public. The professionals use some better stuff you can't buy off a shelf. I guess I should call the manufacturer to complain about the staining, won't get me anywhere, they'll blame it on the prep/application etc. I think I'll color match a concrete paint to do some touch up and get the borders of the floors. Here's a pic
Attached Images

01-26-2019, 01:32 PM   #57
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-solo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
Nice setup.

Personally, I prefer bare concrete with oil stains and sawdust scattered throughout. Seems more manly.
The dirtier the better!
I prefer to focus on what's in the garage. If I had a large 2-car space I might beatify it but for now a sad garage with 2 nice cars in it suits me just fine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Scharbag2617.50
ItsGary1456.50
Space Fox1042.00
      01-29-2019, 01:54 PM   #58
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

That ArmorGarage stuff is an absolute joke. They prepped my garage floor and installed one of their epoxies. Within a relatively short period the epoxy started to peel up under where my wife parked her car. A little later, peeling under my M3. I called and emailed them, based on their purported warranty, but they just turn a blind eye and won’t address post-install issues. If anyone is considering them, do your due diligence and look for alternatives.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 12:17 PM   #59
Crazy8.M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
I went the epoxy route, real happy with the result so far.

http://epoxyarmorsystems.com
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 03:42 PM   #60
5huby5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 328xi

Newb....... first post need advice/help

hi all, excited that i joined here!! first bmw i have ever owned..2011 328ix 40k miles.... lover it! is the K+DCAN cable the correct cable to get? if so, then what software do i get ?? i like to wrench and i don't mind getting an onboard OBD type cable, i can do most of my own work. any help would be very greatful!!! THANKS!!!!

Ron S
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 04:10 PM   #61
Bimmer Barney
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

My epoxy was from a company called Legacy Industrial. Very happy with the results. Epoxy, chips, and top clear coat.
      02-05-2019, 06:57 PM   #62
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I used pvc tile that is supposed to be waterproof. It will get stained and scratched but I can replace tiles if needed. It’s a nice garage shop and renovated in the past 6 months but it’s a working garage so it won’t stay perfect.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 09:56 PM   #63
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
I had race deck in a previous home, but in my last two homes, I went porcelain tile. If you get the tile on clearance, it is actually comparable in price. That said, not remotely close on install time....you’ll be measuring time in days or weeks instead of hours. Still really happy with the tile results and is definitely my preferred solution.

Bemo1120.50
SoCalRPM885.50
      02-06-2019, 01:32 AM   #64
thkfast
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Sakhir Orange DCT

[QUOTE=kskpsu;24341119]I had race deck in a previous home, but in my last two homes, I went porcelain tile. If you get the tile on clearance, it is actually comparable in price. That said, not remotely close on install time....you’ll be measuring time in days or weeks instead of hours. Still really happy with the tile results and is definitely my preferred solution.

WOW! Me likey!

2015 F82 M4 - Sakhir Orange Metallic
2013 E92 M3 / 2013 E92 335is / 2010 E90 335i / 2007 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:31 AM   #65
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

The tiles are not the best of ideas as the dirt still stays under the ground and basically your garage has never ending dust flying around.

The best flooring is actually Polyaspartic. Which binds and seeps into the concrete and comes with 10+ years warranty. Extremely sturdy and extremely easy to clean.

Different between Polyaspartic and Epoxy (they look the same)
- Polyaspartic seeps into the concrete and binds
- Epoxy is just like adding icing on the cake. Looks great, but never binds, you'll need to get it redone every year.
      02-07-2019, 08:38 AM   #66
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskpsu View Post
I had race deck in a previous home, but in my last two homes, I went porcelain tile. If you get the tile on clearance, it is actually comparable in price. That said, not remotely close on install time....you’ll be measuring time in days or weeks instead of hours. Still really happy with the tile results and is definitely my preferred solution.

Looks awesome, sold me on it.
Appreciate 0