BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

EXXEL Distributions

05-26-2020, 10:09 AM   #1
PeterY
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Graphite E92 335i N54 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Talking FS: Complete F82 M4 BBK with M4 knuckles direct bolt-on to E9X M3

Selling a complete F82 M4 BBK with M4 front knuckles, everything is bolt-on to any E9X M3 or E82 1M (using F8X front knuckles).

Yes you've read this correctly, M4 brakes will bolt-on to E9X M3 with no modifications needed if you have the M4 knuckles to accompany, which I am selling as part of the kit . Read further below for a lot more details.

Location: Near Essendon, VIC (happy to ship Australia wide at buyer's expense, if you're interstate expect to pay $80-100 on Road Express freight)
Contact number: 0435378857 - Peter
Price: $3,350 for everything you see in the below photo.
  1. 2x Front OEM Brembo F82 M4 calipers
  2. 2x Rear OEM Brembo F82 M4 calipers
  3. 1x Front OEM pads set (heaps of pad life left, detailed photos below)
  4. 1x Rear OEM pads set (heaps of pad life left, detailed photos below)
  5. 2x Front rotors 380x30 (matching left and right set, heaps of life left on them)
  6. 2x Rear rotors 370x24 (matching left and right set, heaps of life left on them)
  7. 4x Brake lines (all four corners)
  8. 2x F82 M4 knuckles with wheel bearings and wheel hubs (done 23,000km kilometres, good opportunity to refresh your wheel bearing on E9X M3)
  9. 2x Front rotor backing plates / dust shields (matching left and right set)
  10. 10x Genuine M14 17mm hex wheel bolts to suit the larger F82 wheel hubs (E9X generation uses M12 wheel bolts, all F series cars moved to M14)
  11. All mounting hardware bolts for rotors and calipers... etc.

The price I am asking for the full kit is very fair, given that F8X front knuckles with wheel hubs alone go for $780 at the wreckers, and even more expensive with shipping if you try and buy from overseas.

An overall photo of the kit, more detailed closeup photos with commentaries below:

Here's a quick teaser before we dive into details , credit to forum member KevM3UK in the UK, for the below photo (just to give you an idea on the end result, this is not the actual kit I am selling).

The F8X M2/3/4 factory BBK needs no introduction, they're quite hefty, you get Brembo calipers, 2-piece lightweight rotors with aluminium hats, front rotors are 380mm in diameter, rear rotors are 370mm, it's a winning combo, and a very good value BBK upgrade. Any aftermarket BBK in those sizes will set you easily $7-8k for the front and rear, and you won't get the awesome M4 knuckles and wheel hubs either
  • Comparing the F82 M4 brakes to other performance cars on the market:
1- F8X M2/3/4: F:380x30 R:370x24 - Brembo
2- E9X M3 / E82 1M: F:360x30 R:350x24 - ATE
3- F30 335i: F:370x30 R:345x24 - Brembo
4- W204 C63 AMG: F:360x36 R:330x26 - Brembo
5- W205 C63 S AMG: F:360x36 R:360x26 - Brembo
6- Mitsubishi EVO X: F:350x32 R:330x24 - Brembo
1- Front Fitment:

The F8X front knuckles are very similar to the E9X ///M knuckles. All the mounting locations for the control arms are exactly identical, the front strut diameters are also the same, the front knuckles from a F82 M4 will bolt straight to the E92 M3 without changing how the car rides or drives.

The minor differences between the knuckles are all improvements/upgrades over the E92 M3 knuckles:

1- First difference is the mounting point for the calipers, the F8X knuckles mounting lugs sit further out to allow for accommodating the massive 380mm rotors and Brembo calipers. This is of course the main reason why these knuckles are part of this kit.

2- F8X knuckles are lighter and stronger than E92 M3 knuckles. They're made of cast aluminium alloy, the engineers have went to extreme length to reduce unsprung mass at the knuckles, they shaved all additional material that's unneeded on the knuckles and hubs, and managed to get 1.13kg off per corner. Remember that this unsprung and rotational mass, people spend $5k on a lightweight set of wheels just to save 2kg per corner haha, these knuckles will save you 1.13kg already

E92 M3 wheel hubs shown below, there's nothing wrong with them of course, they're just not engineered to the same caliber as the F8X wheel hubs are:

3- F8X knuckles have a larger SAI angle (SAI = Steering Axis Inclination) to reduce understeer, without getting into too much suspension talk, as it's beyond the scope of this thread. A larger SAI angle will result in negative camber gain when the steering wheel is turned. This allows for running lower static -ve camber to save tyre life, yet by merely just turning the steering wheel, the outside wheel will gain negative camber to give the tyre a full contact patch on the asphalt, which results in more grip, as well as resulting in even tyre wear (reduces the outside tyre shoulder wear that E9X generation is famous for).

If you jump back to back between a F8X and an E9X, you'll immediately notice that the F8X has more front-end bite on corner entry, and more front-end grip.

This gif kinda of depicts the -ve camber gained by just turning the wheel. SAI is that that axis that you see running across the wheel in the GIF, the larger the SAI angle, the more camber is gained by turning the wheels.

EDIT: The gif shows as a static image on the forums, can't seem to get it to animate, so I posted a link for it instead.

GIF Link

4- Another difference is the wheel speed sensor mounting position, the wheel speed sensor is clocked on a 90 degs angle compared on the F8X knuckles compared to the E9X knuckle. Most people that retrofitted the F8X knuckles just installed it as is in the F8X knuckles, and they didn't face any issues. However, I suggest that you make a hold down bracket and install it in the correct orientation as it's installed on the E92 knuckles.

This won't be hard to do at all, personally I was going to come up with a simple hold down bracket design, as I'd rather maintain everything as stock as possible to the E9X knuckles. Reason for this your wheel speed sensor could read different wheel speed if it's not mounted correctly (DCT transmission might be upset with the incorrect reading, won't matter at all for manual, either way, it's a simple task, so do it right), if you're not technically/mechanically inclined, show your mechanic this thread, or put me in contact with them.

Photos for illustration (the E9X knuckle shown below is off an E92 335i, not E92 M3, but the sensor position is the same across all E9X knuckles, so I am only using it for illustration):

This how you want to clock your wheel speed sensor in the F8X knuckles, as mentioned above heaps of people didn't clock the wheel speed sensor to be in the correct orientation and didn't have any issues, but personally I'd do it, I am fussy, I'd like to keep things running as they were originally.

The design I had in mind for the bracket is something like the below photo, just a very simple hold down fork style bracket, and you can just utilise the factory screw position to hold it in place. Any competent mechanic or a performance workshop can do this, or come up with something on their own. There are a ton of ways to go about it.

5- Last difference between F8X and E9X knuckles is the wheel bolts, F8X wheel hubs use M14 wheel bolts, which are much fatter (and stronger), while E9X uses M12. All F series cars actually use M14 bolts, even the smallest F20 116i with less than 100kW power gets M14 bolts.

According to SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), M14x1.5 bolts have a tensile strength of 129.7kN (Kilo Newton), while M12x1.5 bolts have a tensile strength of 91.8kN.

The conical part of the bolt that contacts the wheel is the same size between the two, the bolt head is also the same size, so you don't have to use a different socket for each (both are just 17mm which is what BMW have always used for wheel bolts since donkey days).

I am supplying 10x F8X wheel bolts to go with the kit. As mentioned above, you can mount your E9X M3 wheel hubs to the F8X knuckles, and everything will work perfectly fine, both wheel hubs have the same offset, so brake fitment won't be affected. But personally I'd just use the F8X wheel hubs that comes with the kit cause they're very light, and use the supplied M14 bolts (stronger).

Photos of front brakes all bolted together to the kncukle

2- Rear Fitment:

I am not going to cover the rear fitment in this thread, it's a straight bolt-on, plug and play basically, has been done many many many times before.

Some people say they needed to washers to have the calipers perfectly centred on the rear rotors, others say they didn't need anything, just have them ready anyway in case you need them, they're only a few cents.

Plenty of information on fitting the rear F8X BBK to the E92 M3 knuckles, it's a simple bolt-on with washers, have a read on the forums.

Photo of the rears installed, credit to forum member KevM3UK in the UK, for the below photo (just to give you an idea on the end result, this is not the actual kit I am selling).

3- General Photos of the kit:

Now that fitment is covered, some general photos of the kit, and show the condition all parts are in.

Matching set of left and right rotors, they are different part numbers for the left and the right (internal ventilating vanes are different as they must all face forward), you get 1x front right, 1x front left, 1x rear right and 1x rear left.

All four rotors are in fantastic condition, with minimal wear, feel free to come and inspect them in person if you're in Melbourne.

All four calipers, this is a matching set, all came off the same car, as left and right are different part numbers as you'd expect.

Pad material left on front pads

Pad material left on rear pads

Near new front rotor backing plates / dust shields, bought specifically for this project that I was planning to do on my car, but eventually decided to part ways with it

All required mounting hardware

If you made it this far thanks for reading , hope it serves as knowledge base for others looking to do this mod.

End result will look great, credit to forum member KevM3UK in the UK, for the below photos .

Lastly, the price I am asking for the full kit is very fair, given that F8X front knuckles with wheel hubs alone go for $780 at the wreckers, and even more expensive with shipping if you try and buy from overseas.

Sparkling Metallic Graphite 335i Coupe 6MT (Build Thread) | MHD Custom Tune | Wagner EVO2 FMIC | Íhlins R&T coilovers with 8/14 Swift springs | Dinan Camber Plates | Rear HardRace fully ball-jointed toe arms, upper camber arms and guide rods | Front M3 control arms with Monoballs ball-joints | M3 Steering rack with servotronic retrofit | E93 M3 Front & Rear Sway Bars | Nolathane rear subframe bushings | HEL Performance SS braided brake lines | 19" BMW 437M wheels | BMW P steering wheel | CIC+Combox retrofit

Last edited by PeterY; 05-26-2020 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 07:21 AM   #2
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Bargain. If there's anyone out there that wants this for a 335i I have a set of e92 rear m3 hubs that will make this kit plug and play.
GLWS Pete.

05-27-2020, 09:58 AM   #3
PeterY
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Deposit taken, sold pending payment!! Thanks for looking.
Sparkling Metallic Graphite 335i Coupe 6MT (Build Thread) | MHD Custom Tune | Wagner EVO2 FMIC | Íhlins R&T coilovers with 8/14 Swift springs | Dinan Camber Plates | Rear HardRace fully ball-jointed toe arms, upper camber arms and guide rods | Front M3 control arms with Monoballs ball-joints | M3 Steering rack with servotronic retrofit | E93 M3 Front & Rear Sway Bars | Nolathane rear subframe bushings | HEL Performance SS braided brake lines | 19" BMW 437M wheels | BMW P steering wheel | CIC+Combox retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 10:02 AM   #4
PeterY
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterY View Post
Deposit taken, sold pending payment!! Thanks for looking.
It was sold this morning, pretty cheap compared to the market tbh. M4 knuckles are $780 alone, so I am selling the M4 BBK complete for $2570. No wrecker in Australia would ever sell a full M4 BBK for $2.5k.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 03:53 PM   #5
Qikish
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 MY11 ZCP

Not surprised this sold so damn quick! Price was amazing!
Appreciate 1
PeterY247.00

06-11-2020, 07:22 PM   #6
NekMinnit
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Missed it by that mucchhh
Appreciate 0