BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

BPM

03-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Norcal people: Suggestions needed for AC Evaporator replacement

So my A/C stopped blowing cold air the other day. I drive the car a couple times a week and it was working fine just a few weeks ago. After doing some research the worst case scenario and most common problem is the AC evaporator leaking. And it seems like it is not a DIY type of thing since you need to take out the dash, etc..

For those in the Bay Area that had to replace theirs outside of warranty, can you recommend a place that did it for a good price? I know I'm expecting to pay at least a couple thousand from the past threads I've found on here. A lot of people have said it is no worth it to get it done from an independent shop b/c of the dash removal. Suggestions and estimated costs would be appreciated. I still have a couple months before I really need the AC to work so I'd like to plan beforehand. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #2
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Seems like a pretty invasive process. Alex (Flipm3) just did his himself in Chicago, maybe he can give you some better insight if you PM him
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 04:14 PM   #3
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post
Seems like a pretty invasive process. Alex (Flipm3) just did his himself in Chicago, maybe he can give you some better insight if you PM him
Thank you. I'll PM him
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #4
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

I have done 2. It's a long but not an impossible job. I really enjoyed it. Have you seen the YouTube videos? Once we change the evaporator and we had everything in place, we took the car to an AC shop to charge and test. I think we have run with luck bc both charged and had no leaks for several years. If you are into DIY you should give it a try. Not only you wil saves one money but you wil learn a lot.
Appreciate 1
Timujin351.50
      03-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #5
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bimmer77 View Post
I have done 2. It's a long but not an impossible job. I really enjoyed it. Have you seen the YouTube videos? Once we change the evaporator and we had everything in place, we took the car to an AC shop to charge and test. I think we have run with luck bc both charged and had no leaks for several years. If you are into DIY you should give it a try. Not only you wil saves one money but you wil learn a lot.
Yeah i think I plan on doing a DIY with a friend who has taken apart an e92 dash before. Along with the actual evaporator, would you know where I could get a list of other parts that should be replaced at the same time such as any o rings, extra clips in case they break while removing the dash, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #6
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joonsup View Post
Yeah i think I plan on doing a DIY with a friend who has taken apart an e92 dash before. Along with the actual evaporator, would you know where I could get a list of other parts that should be replaced at the same time such as any o rings, extra clips in case they break while removing the dash, etc.?
Definately a hand helps a lot. We broke 2 clips (brittle) and we lost 1 screw, which we found afterwards. We replace the evaporator with OEM don't go with used or aftermarket. It's not worth it. Also the expansion valve with orange and firewall gaskets. Some people recommend the dryer. We did not replace it but check because we knew that it should be changed after the fact. We got everything online from highly reputable vendors. Also eventhough the blower was good we went ahead and replaced it. The toughest part was to put back all the steering components back together. At one point we though we would be taking it to the dealer. Document this disassemble part very well. Everything goes with a clip or attaches to something. Make sure everything is tight so it doesn't rattles afterwards. The whole job was about 20-24 hrs. Of course you can make it in less but we went slow just documenting everything. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #7
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Definately a hand helps a lot. We broke 2 clips (brittle) and we lost 1 screw, which we found afterwards. We replace the evaporator with OEM don't go with used or aftermarket. It's not worth it. Also the expansion valve with orange and firewall gaskets. Some people recommend the dryer. We did not replace it but check because we knew that it should be changed after the fact. We got everything online from highly reputable vendors. Also eventhough the blower was good we went ahead and replaced it. The toughest part was to put back all the steering components back together. At one point we though we would be taking it to the dealer. Document this disassemble part very well. Everything goes with a clip or attaches to something. Make sure everything is tight so it doesn't rattles afterwards. The whole job was about 20-24 hrs. Of course you can make it in less but we went slow just documenting everything. Good luck.
Thanks for the good information. I"ll start getting parts information and prices so I can get it done before the summer.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #8
edsonreds
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi there! I am embarked in replacing my evaporator following instructions found in the ISTA servicing guide. So far I managed to remove the dashboard without issues. I am classifying all screws and made an instruction tree with all the necessary steps. But I am having a problem.

Would you help me with some ideas?

I cannot retire the dash metal support frame. I took out the top 2 screws, the 4 ones in the driver side above the steering mount, 2 on the passenger side plus 2 more on the driver side (4 last ones on each extreme of the support), and one bolt by the glovebox mount. According to the manual I am not missing any screw but the frame on the driver side is not moving!! I am fearing metal to metal soldering, but I am chicken out on applying more force. Any ideas?
Appreciate 1
Timujin351.50
      02-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #9
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsonreds View Post
Hi there! I am embarked in replacing my evaporator following instructions found in the ISTA servicing guide. So far I managed to remove the dashboard without issues. I am classifying all screws and made an instruction tree with all the necessary steps. But I am having a problem.

I cannot retire the dash metal support frame. I took out the top 2 screws, the 4 ones in the driver side above the steering mount, 2 on the passenger side plus 2 more on the driver side (4 last ones on each extreme of the support), and one bolt by the glovebox mount. According to the manual I am not missing any screw but the frame on the driver side is not moving!! I am fearing metal to metal soldering, but I am chicken out on applying more force. Any ideas?
bless you.

Do you have a photo of where you are now in the process?

Just in case this helps https://youtu.be/KVpp8CFcfVI
      02-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #10
edsonreds
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timujin View Post
Quote:

bless you.

Do you have a photo of where you are now in the process?
Hi, I dont have an actual photo right now. But I can share the TIS manual step I am stuck in. Check: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ments/B9SMD25k
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #11
Timujin
Major
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
You did this step? #3

Attached Images

Last edited by Timujin; 02-10-2019 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 05:00 PM   #12
edsonreds
Private
Rep

Quote:
You did this step? #3

Quote:
You did this step? #3

[IMG]https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/obj/N4jMBvp[/IMG]
yeap. actually, that part is loose. the one that seems soldered are the 2 screws on the left, the ones that seem clustered. i took them out and nothing moves.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #13
Timujin
Major
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Dangit. I am 99% sure I need to do this and have been reading and watching all I can find. Good luck.
      02-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #14
edsonreds
Private
Rep

Quote:
Dangit. I am 99% sure I need to do this and have been reading and watching all I can find. Good luck.
Quote:
thanks man. I will keep you posted on my progress. It is a job that requires time and cool-ness if that exists.
Appreciate 1
Timujin351.50
      02-17-2019, 08:31 AM   #15
edsonreds
Private
Rep

Updates

Hi! It seems that some parts of the TIS Manual are incomplete because I was getting crazy on not being able to remove the dashboard support frame, and checked the ISTA Service Manual. It turns out that there are more screws!!!

Well, I finally replaced the evaporator. Before re-installing everything I scheduled for tomorrow a visit from an AC Technician, just to test if the system is sealed and perform a vacuum pump on the system.

I torqued everything as advised in the TIS and ISTA manual, so I am pretty sure the AC system is sealed. Even though, I don't want to take any chance and wait for the technician. I am doing this for 2 reasons:

1. A vacuum pump and a manifold are tools needed to check if the system is properly sealed. It costs too much and the use I can give for these tools in the future is very limited.

2. Dismantling everything is not difficult (provided you have the CORRECT manuals); but is is time consuming. Even taking out the steering column is easy (I didn't mess up up the airbags and steering wheel, ISTA did not say it was necessary, though youtube videos said it was).

So, this is the point you don't want to screw up. Afterwards assembling everything is easy.

I will be happy to share my manuals after I finish the process. Thanks all for your help and comments!
Appreciate 1
Timujin351.50
      02-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #16
Timujin
Major
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi! It seems that some parts of the TIS Manual are incomplete because I was getting crazy on not being able to remove the dashboard support frame, and checked the ISTA Service Manual. It turns out that there are more screws!!!

Well, I finally replaced the evaporator. Before re-installing everything I scheduled for tomorrow a visit from an AC Technician, just to test if the system is sealed and perform a vacuum pump on the system.

I torqued everything as advised in the TIS and ISTA manual, so I am pretty sure the AC system is sealed. Even though, I don't want to take any chance and wait for the technician. I am doing this for 2 reasons:

1. A vacuum pump and a manifold are tools needed to check if the system is properly sealed. It costs too much and the use I can give for these tools in the future is very limited.

2. Dismantling everything is not difficult (provided you have the CORRECT manuals); but is is time consuming. Even taking out the steering column is easy (I didn't mess up up the airbags and steering wheel, ISTA did not say it was necessary, though youtube videos said it was).

So, this is the point you don't want to screw up. Afterwards assembling everything is easy.

I will be happy to share my manuals after I finish the process. Thanks all for your help and comments!
Quote:

2. Dismantling everything is not difficult (provided you have the CORRECT manuals); but is is time consuming. Even taking out the steering column is easy (I didn't mess up up the airbags and steeri ng wheel, ISTA did not say it was necessary, though youtube videos said it was).

Congratulations! Was the old evaporator a mess?
      02-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #17
edsonreds
Private
Rep

I cannot say. I mean, being an aluminium-like piece it was dark (blackish color), decolored I would say, and smelly. I couldnt see a crack or a leak, but these leaks only reveal under gas pressure.

BEWARE of these issues if you do this:

1. There are two part variants for E92 M3 evaporators: one made by Valeo while the other made by Denso. You must find out whivh one before you make DIY. Having the wrong part can be a pain in the butt.

2. The dashboard support frame had some superficial rust build. I choose to clean it with some WD40, spray some degreaser and protect it with rust oleum anti-rust metallic primer.
Appreciate 1
Timujin351.50
      03-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #18
Timujin
Major
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I cannot say. I mean, being an aluminium-like piece it was dark (blackish color), decolored I would say, and smelly. I couldnt see a crack or a leak, but these leaks only reveal under gas pressure.

1. There are two part variants for E92 M3 evaporators: one made by Valeo while the other made by Denso. You must find out whivh one before you make DIY. Having the wrong part can be a pain in the butt.

2. The dashboard support frame had some superficial rust build. I choose to clean it with some WD40, spray some degreaser and protect it with rust oleum anti-rust metallic primer.
How is your A/C doing?
      03-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #19
edsonreds
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

How is your A/C doing?
hi. works like a charm. the a/c tecnician I hired to fill up the system was suprised I could pull that off!?? LOL

have you started yours?
Appreciate 1
Timujin351.50
      03-16-2019, 10:25 PM   #20
Timujin
Major
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How is your A/C doing?
hi. works like a charm. the a/c tecnician I hired to fill up the system was suprised I could pull that off!?? LOL

have you started yours?
Not yet, but I am going to find out which evaporator I need then order it. Then pick a day to break the puzzle and put it back together.

Congratulations on your A/C work.
      03-22-2019, 10:34 PM   #21
edsonreds
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How is your A/C doing?

have you started yours?
Not yet, but I am going to find out which evaporator I need then order it. Then pick a day to break the puzzle and put it back together.

I share my procedure's tree for the tear-down process. I found it helpful to keep everything in order.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Timujin351.50
      03-23-2019, 12:12 AM   #22
Timujin
Major
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How is your A/C doing?

have you started yours?

I share my procedure's tree for the tear-down process. I found it helpful to keep everything in order.
Awesome!

I will check this out!