BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

10-26-2019, 06:52 PM   #1
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 m3 coupe 08 e90 M3

BE bearings installed. Decreased oil pressure?

I have a weird noise coming from my oil filter housing. And it generally only happens when the car hasn’t been started in days. (And when oil is thick, and cold)

I recently had my rod bearings replaced with BE bearings. From what I’ve read. These bearings increase oil flow. But decrease oil pressure.

These engines have a oil pump bypass. So on cold starts, if the oil pump bypass sticks. Then your engines oil pressure will be much higher than it’s supposed to be. The oil pressure sensor on the engine only tell you if oil pressure is low. (On the e38 /e39 increase oil pressure would happen, and cause timing chains to blow off the engine.) Originally people thought the timing chain guides break due to wear. That is now not the case.

This could be what I’m hearing with my engine? Is the pump bypass built into the oil pump? Or is it located on the oil filter housing?

Could the BE bearings be causing this higher or lower oil pressure?

People are saying this sound could be the pulley on the oil filter housing. I have a hard time believing that.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 07:29 PM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I don’t think the BE bearings have anything to do with whatever you are hearing, or cause any oil pressure problem due to the increased clearance.

If you want less oil bypass on cold starts, which also occurs with stock bearings, try the stainless steel filter recommended by Troy Jeup. It won’t bypass as frequently.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep

I wasn’t aware of this higher flow filter.

This might help with my cold start issue?

Is this the filter that your referring to?

Thank you very much for the advice.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-4...hoCPFAQAvD_BwE
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 09:32 PM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Yes, but it might cost slightly less elsewhere. Not sure if it will help because I am not sure what your issue actually is.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 09:57 PM   #5
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Yes, but it might cost slightly less elsewhere. Not sure if it will help because I am not sure what your issue actually is.
Here’s a video of the noise I hear from the oil filter. If I don’t start it for a week the noise might be more noticeable.

Here’s another video. ( Not my car ) But noise is more clear/evident.

It sounds to me like the oil is struggling to go through the housing (since it’s thicker /cold) Is the oil bypass built into the oil filter housing itself? If that’s the case a new housing might fix the issue. Since maybe the oil bypass is just not working how it used to. I guess I’m not really 100% clear on how the bypass works.
Appreciate 0