BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

03-17-2016, 08:23 AM   #23
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeeM3 View Post
awesome !! what lenght did you go with ??? I have found a nice kit with 65mm dont know if this work out ...
75mm kit, I went this route so I can run spacers if need be. They look perfect. My front wheels have no spacer and my lugs sit flush with the studs. I am running 12.5mm rear spacers with no issues.

Running these lugs with the optional 75mm stud kit
http://ind-distribution.com/ind/cate...ng-lugnuts-set

Fronts with Kics R40 Lugs

Rear with same lugs using 12.5mm spacer
      03-17-2016, 10:30 AM   #24
MikeeM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 600whp M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_joe View Post
75mm kit, I went this route so I can run spacers if need be. They look perfect. My front wheels have no spacer and my lugs sit flush with the studs. I am running 12.5mm rear spacers with no issues.

Running these lugs with the optional 75mm stud kit
http://ind-distribution.com/ind/cate...ng-lugnuts-set

Fronts with Kics R40 Lugs

Rear with same lugs using 12.5mm spacer
Wow thats perfect

I wonder if the wheel specs make a difference with the way the lugs will sit once installed??

Im going with negative offsets and i wont be using any spacers so my biggest concern is that the 65mm studs paired with the 60mm spikes lugs wont be long enough :/
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #25
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

Quote:
Wow thats perfect

I wonder if the wheel specs make a difference with the way the lugs will sit once installed??

Im going with negative offsets and i wont be using any spacers so my biggest concern is that the 65mm studs paired with the 60mm spikes lugs wont be long enough :/
I'd only use 65mm studs on a spaceless setup.

Likely a lower offset wheel will hide the studs/lugs more (if the center hub is deeper rather than having a concave face wheel/bigger lip). If the center hub is relatively shallow they should look good. With that said, the actual hub depths of wheels should be pretty standard so you shouldn't have any performance issues per se.
      03-17-2016, 10:55 AM   #26
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Wow thats perfect

You can get away with shorter studs if you have no plan on running spacers. I am running open end lugs so I could have any length stud and it wouldn't matter
      09-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #27
shuggy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90M3, '20 X3M, '20 RRSSVR

Bringing back an old stud conversion thread...

Has anyone converted M12x1.5 on the E9X to M14x1.25 with the Future Classic Retrofit kit? https://ind-distribution.com/collect...b-retrofit-kit

I'd love to hear reviews if anyone has. Thanks!
2011 E90 M3 | Space Gray | RKP CF Roof | MPerf Recaro | Full Interior CF & Alcantara | BMW MPE v2, MS Test Pipes | BPM Tune | MFactory CF DS | Bilstein B6 Damptronic | Full DINAN & Eventuri & DO88 | Modesta BC-04 | Potenza RE-71R
2020 X3M
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR
Appreciate 1
MikeM5261.00
      09-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #28
MikeM5
Future Classic
Philippines
Rep
Drives: BMW / Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuggy View Post

Has anyone converted M12x1.5 on the E9X to M14x1.25 with the Future Classic Retrofit kit? https://ind-distribution.com/collect...b-retrofit-kit

I have my car was actually the test bed to perform this retrofit and I've been running it now for about 8 months with a mix of track days and regular driving (maybe 3,000 miles). We have sold 8 of these kits in total, though I'm not sure many of them are on the forums.

I think the kit will become even more popular as people find it necessary to replace their hubs as a maintenance item. We priced the kit well enough where the cost to simply do a factory replacement versus this upgrade is virtually a wash and the F8X M3 / M4 hubs are certainly a class above the E9X ones. Above that, the more robust M14x1.25 hardware is a nice peace of mind on the track where I've broken a couple M12x1.5 studs in the past.

Happy to answer any questions you may have—feel free to shoot me a PM

Melbourne E90 M3 | Jet Black E46 M3 | Techno E36 M3 | 997.2 C2S | 958 Cayenne GTS
Appreciate 5
turbo_joe1614.00
shuggy38.50
SYT_Shadow11479.50
///Mobbin1478.00
      09-20-2019, 12:27 PM   #29
shuggy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90M3, '20 X3M, '20 RRSSVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM5 View Post
I have my car was actually the test bed to perform this retrofit and I've been running it now for about 8 months with a mix of track days and regular driving (maybe 3,000 miles). We have sold 8 of these kits in total, though I'm not sure many of them are on the forums.

I think the kit will become even more popular as people find it necessary to replace their hubs as a maintenance item. We priced the kit well enough where the cost to simply do a factory replacement versus this upgrade is virtually a wash and the F8X M3 / M4 hubs are certainly a class above the E9X ones. Above that, the more robust M14x1.25 hardware is a nice peace of mind on the track where I've broken a couple M12x1.5 studs in the past.

Happy to answer any questions you may have—feel free to shoot me a PM
Fantastic, Mike, thanks for your reply! I will PM you. Also, beautiful collection of cars you've got there!
2011 E90 M3 | Space Gray | RKP CF Roof | MPerf Recaro | Full Interior CF & Alcantara | BMW MPE v2, MS Test Pipes | BPM Tune | MFactory CF DS | Bilstein B6 Damptronic | Full DINAN & Eventuri & DO88 | Modesta BC-04 | Potenza RE-71R
2020 X3M
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR
Appreciate 1
MikeM5261.00
      10-08-2019, 07:58 AM   #30
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuggy View Post

I did the fronts in my E90 track car with their kit. It's a really nice kit!

The hub design of the F8X is a big step ahead of the E9X cars. The main advantages I see are:
-Natively allows 14mm studs. This is HUGE. Hold a 12mm side by side with a 14mm and you will want the 14mm in your car
-Lighter
-Has cooling for the bearing area built into it

I haven't done the rears as that install is much harder (just like all rear bearing installs in M3s) and the front is where one typically breaks studs.

Now I'm using the Bimmerworld 14mm race studs on my E90 just like I'm doing on the CS, it's really a substantial difference.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 10-08-2019 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 2
MikeM5261.00
///Mobbin1478.00
      10-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #31
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

^Glad to hear this is working out well for you SYT_Shadow

I've had my eye on the Future Classic kit and also these press-in stud kits from Core 4 Motorsports, LINK. Anyone have experience with the Core 4 kit?
      10-09-2019, 06:56 AM   #32
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
^Glad to hear this is working out well for you SYT_Shadow

I've had my eye on the Future Classic kit and also these press-in stud kits from Core 4 Motorsports, LINK. Anyone have experience with the Core 4 kit?
That's also an interesting option. I feel like it was a lost opportunity for them to move to a 14mm stud together with the press-in concept
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 02:40 PM   #33
MikeM5
Future Classic
Philippines
Rep
Drives: BMW / Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
That's also an interesting option. I feel like it was a lost opportunity for them to move to a 14mm stud together with the press-in concept
+1 for M14.

I have no experience with that kit, but I personally like the ability to service studs without having to do bearings at the same time—studs would be serviced in more frequent intervals, IMO.

Back when I had a BRZ for track purposes, I'd change press-in studs out every season and it was an endeavor compared to thread-in. If I ever change wheel setups (for instance if I needed to eventually run a large spacer, etc) changing to a different size thread-in is a matter of minutes.

Melbourne E90 M3 | Jet Black E46 M3 | Techno E36 M3 | 997.2 C2S | 958 Cayenne GTS
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      10-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #34
gills
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 race car, E30 S54 swap

This is the Core4 Motorsports guy here.

We looked into going with a 14mm option in decent depth. The reason we don't offer a 14mm option is because the wall thickness at the outside edge of the OEM hub becomes too thin, especially with a press-in since the OD of the pressed in part is larger than the nominal diameter of the threads by a decent margin. The same applies when converting to a 14mm thread-in stud; too close to the outside wall, which most likely Future Classic kit found out on their own. Oddly enough, the outer diameter of the M3 hubs is actually smaller than the OD of standard E9x hubs, which makes it riskier.

I want to mention that we have a "send-in-your-own-hubs" service where you don't have to buy brand new hubs to get this done. You can send in your used hubs (granted they're not rusted to hell) to save a few bucks. Or, you can have new ones drop shipped to us from a preferred vendor, then we perform the service/install studs, and ship back to you on us.

So for those that don't like clicking links, I'll regurgitate some info from our website:

This stud upgrade is the most robust 12mm upgrade available on the market with equivalent strength to 14mm studs at points of peak bending and shear stress.

We offer this solution due to thread-in studs breaking frequently at the track, where cars running press-in studs basically never break a stud (our experience is through 3500+ laps and counting in the American Endurance Racing series). And when thread-ins break, they almost always break flush with, or inside the hub making them a PITA to remove. Like this:

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions whatsoever. I know it's out of the box for a BMW, but it works and how every other automobile OEM supplies their cars (and trucks!) that come with studs off the showroom floor.

Last edited by gills; 10-10-2019 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0