BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

07-16-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Clear Bra - Which Brands Are Reccomended

I see everyone raving about Xpel so I see that is a good one.

But this question is what about all the other clear bra protections out there? Are they also good? Basically I'm looking to protect against rock chips.

Also when picking out a local installer are there any specific things I should ask them or look out for?

What are some common ways they screw this up?

Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
ddas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Daytona Violet M3

Nano-Fusion
Xpel
Suntek
All good films.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
AlpineE92M3
Currently Driving
Rep
Drives: BPM tuned '13 AW ZCP E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have 3M on mine. Looks perfect
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

venture shield.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Had venture shield on my AW. Took it off after three years due to yellowing... maybe due to improper maintenance but I doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
zeeman335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2001 M3

XPEL - self healing FTW!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

OP,
I just bought 3M Ventureshield and installed it myself with a help of a friend.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864559

Firstly, I think the proper mindset is to assume you will likely take off the bra after a 3-6 year timeframe regardless of brand.

Secondly, you have to assess your budget and needs.

Finally, with installers, you need to discuss coverage amounts, it will be up to them how they apply the film. Pay attention to where they will cut the film. Depending on their experience and comfort level, the bumper may be applied with 2 pieces instead of 1 massive piece.
Also, if you have paint chips and scuffs to begin with, you'll need to decide who's detailing the car, and what to do with existing chips. I made the mistake of not "smoothing" out the excess chips before bumper application. The result is the chips are ingrained into the material like a grain of sand. Not that it matters, since if you didn't apply the film, it would look like that anyways .

I'm not sure if you've done your price comparison, but Xpel is leaps and bounds more expensive than the other films. From my research, most films are comparable, with the only major difference being the UV treatment. All thickness is about the same and will show in the same way.

With these considerations, I elected to do it myself, knowing it won't be 100% perfect. Also, if you're more concerned with coverage for track events, I think you should do the temporary roll on protectant instead. It comes in these large pails and you roll it on with a roller, it dries, and then peels off after you're done.

Last edited by mdosu; 07-22-2013 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I have a combination of Ventureshield and Prestige on my car. On my previous cars, I've used 3M Scotchgard and Xpel.

In terms of appearance, Prestige Clear Guard is the best in terms of looking like nothing is on the car. The film is good for installers to stretch and custom mold to the car. Durability is similar to Ventureshield but seems more resistant to scratches. Prestige is made and imported from Japan.

Durability, 3M and Xpel's self healing is the best. 3M unfortunately looks very ugly and has a orange peel texture and leaves stretch marks when stretched a lot.

Ventureshield is the most popular.. kinda between the 3M and Prestige for appearance and durability is somewhere between as well. Ventureshield is easy to stain from bird droppings and insect guts. It also doesn't have the healing features of 3M and Xpel. But Ventureshield is easier to stretch than 3M (not as stretchable as Prestige) and doesn't leave stretch marks like 3M. The film is also clearer and looks better than 3M (not as clear as Prestige).

Last edited by Z K; 07-22-2013 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
Raz335
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Convertible

I don't recommend Ventureshield. Looks good for a few months but it scratches and stains very easily. My hood now looks like someone took steel wool to it and I maintain and wash my car using the 2 bucket method consistently.

I would definitely give Xpel a try based on reviews.

Jerez Black/Fox E93 M3 - Prem 2/Cold/Conv/DCT/EDC/19's/Ext Lthr/Crbn Trim/Enhanced Sound/Sat
Mods- 20" BBS LM's DBK/Challenge Catback/Eibachs/Trim wrapped black/Lux Angel eyes/35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
I have used xpel since 1997. Great company, great materials.
      07-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz335 View Post
I don't recommend Ventureshield. Looks good for a few months but it scratches and stains very easily. My hood now looks like someone took steel wool to it and I maintain and wash my car using the 2 bucket method consistently.

I would definitely give Xpel a try based on reviews.
The Ventureshield does scratch... but in my experience it is very hard to scratch from washing. What are you using? Are you scrubbing the paint when you wash? Washing should be very gentle.. just let the mitt glide over the surface with no pressure.
      07-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #12
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, G82 M4

Do not get Ventureshield. It was great back in the day and ahead of its time, but there are far superior films out there now.

Films from Avery, Suntek and Xpel are far better and around the same price. More resilient, better looking. The Venture film only looks good temporarily then starts to fade, get dull and look old.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
Had venture shield on my AW. Took it off after three years due to yellowing... maybe due to improper maintenance but I doubt it.
mine has held up for 3 years now you cant even tell its there, but I do get
the car detailed every couple months and I wash it whenever its dirty. I have
heard that if you don't maintain it with proper sealants etc it can yellow easily.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkap View Post
mine has held up for 3 years now you cant even tell its there, but I do get
the car detailed every couple months and I wash it whenever its dirty. I have
heard that if you don't maintain it with proper sealants etc it can yellow easily.
i just got ventureshield installed.

My key takeaway regarding maintenance is simply, wash it with standard car wash soaps and use wax on it as you normally do. I also noted the crappy annual waxes are not to be used (can't remember the chemical used, but that's that's not good).
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 R8

I just had Avery Nanofusion put on the bumper and rockers. Looks great except that it doesn't come all the way up to the light and I am pretty OCD so it bugs me.

Due to a miscommunication the hood didn't get done. The installer only cuts pieces in his shop to 40" max. So, for my 56" hood they are having it cut (computer program, not free hand) by their rep and it's being shipped. It goes on next week.

The look of the Avery, at least at the 3 day mark, is beautiful. It also had areas that rid up near the wheel wells for protection and a piece that covers the entire rear fascia along the side (not very back though).

I just wish it would come up to the lights like my buddies 3M does.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #16
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdoc View Post
I just had Avery Nanofusion put on the bumper and rockers. Looks great except that it doesn't come all the way up to the light and I am pretty OCD so it bugs me.

Due to a miscommunication the hood didn't get done. The installer only cuts pieces in his shop to 40" max. So, for my 56" hood they are having it cut (computer program, not free hand) by their rep and it's being shipped. It goes on next week.

The look of the Avery, at least at the 3 day mark, is beautiful. It also had areas that rid up near the wheel wells for protection and a piece that covers the entire rear fascia along the side (not very back though).

I just wish it would come up to the lights like my buddies 3M does.
That is totally up to the pattern that is cut. If you had a installer that had access to different patterns or could do a free-hand custom install, it will always go to the edges and most will wrap over the edges so it is seemless.
      07-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #17
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
That is totally up to the pattern that is cut. If you had a installer that had access to different patterns or could do a free-hand custom install, it will always go to the edges and most will wrap over the edges so it is seemless.
They use a computer program that cuts it. The guy that installed it said that if it came up all the way, due to the nature of the Nanofusion material, it wouldn't sit even with the contours of the bumper.

The guy that did it is not the guy that owns the shop and I didn't have a chance to talk to him. I'm hoping to talk to someone knowledgeable at Avery and if they say it should go to the edge then I'll have them redo it. The hood piece goes on next week.

If this is the way all Avery films are on the M3 then I may go visit the installer who does Xpel. Be a shame to remove this and install that but it'd be a bigger shame to respray a bumper that isn't fully covered.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #18
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdoc View Post
They use a computer program that cuts it. The guy that installed it said that if it came up all the way, due to the nature of the Nanofusion material, it wouldn't sit even with the contours of the bumper.

The guy that did it is not the guy that owns the shop and I didn't have a chance to talk to him. I'm hoping to talk to someone knowledgeable at Avery and if they say it should go to the edge then I'll have them redo it. The hood piece goes on next week.

If this is the way all Avery films are on the M3 then I may go visit the installer who does Xpel. Be a shame to remove this and install that but it'd be a bigger shame to respray a bumper that isn't fully covered.
As I mentioned, it's not a matter of the material. You can use an Xpel pattern with any clear film material. It is totally dependent on the installer and where they get their pattern for the computer cut. Installers pay for the pattern so they can cut it on cutting machines. Your installer only has access to the pattern that he has. Either ask him to get a different bumper pattern from elsewhere or find another installer which uses a different pattern.

As I said, a custom install bypasses all this but then your install is dependent on the installer's skill. A good custom install is great but a bad install can be terrible. Going with the computer cut is usually a safe median if you can't find a great custom installer.
      07-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
i just got ventureshield installed.

My key takeaway regarding maintenance is simply, wash it with standard car wash soaps and use wax on it as you normally do. I also noted the crappy annual waxes are not to be used (can't remember the chemical used, but that's that's not good).
Ya keeping the car clean is the best way to keep it from yellowing.
I wash the car once a week by hand and my good friend who owns
advance mobile group gave me a special sealant he makes for the
venture shield. It closes the pores to prevent yellowing im sure you
can get a bottle of his stuff if you contact him his names Marco, great guy.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #20
ddas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Daytona Violet M3

Venture used to be the best film available. Over the last 3 years it has really gone down hill. 3m owns Venture since 2010 and they've done nothing good with it.

It scratches way easier than the other 3 big brands and the adhesive outright sucks. It sets up way faster than it should and it typically means you end up with some silvering.

Xpel, Suntek and Nano-Fusion are all great options.
Appreciate 0