BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Leather (Fox Red) seat shininess (unwanted)

My drivers seat gets 100x more seat time than the passenger one. In SoCal I also find myself pretty sweaty pretty often. From the useage and maybe sweat I have noticed the drivers seat is much more shiny than the passenger. I use Lexol leather cleaner and Lexol on my leather every few months. Any tips on getting the finish to match the other seat or at least closer?
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I've tried Lexol in the past and I am not very fond of it. Now I use Leatherique. I haven't used the Leatherique on the Novillo leather yet but I am pretty sure it will make the seat look better. If you go this route be sure to read up on how to use it on their website. You use the rejuvenator oil first, then the prisine clean. It sounds backward but that is how it works.

Cheers.
      05-07-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
I use Lexol shampoo and conditioner on my Fox Red seats once a month and that's the best possible way of keeping them looking matte.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 02:55 AM   #4
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep
Drives: Black E90

Leather Master trio.

Clean it. Condition it. Protect it. Done

However, conditioning isn't too necessary, whereas protection is key. Water is the only conditioner leather really need.

Most brands advertise leather conditioning as protectant, but it's very different. Often, these conditioners contain oils that make it look new again, but the oil left behind will just attract more dirt to screw up the leather. Therefore, you'd want a good protectant rather than conditioning it all the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 05:44 AM   #5
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy View Post
Leather Master trio.

However, conditioning isn't too necessary, whereas protection is key. Water is the only conditioner leather really need.

Most brands advertise leather conditioning as protectant, but it's very different. Often, these conditioners contain oils that make it look new again, but the oil left behind will just attract more dirt to screw up the leather. Therefore, you'd want a good protectant rather than conditioning it all the time.
+1 Good information
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 05:59 AM   #6
FruitCake
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3

do not use lexol, its absolute garbage. use at least leathermasters or even better yet leatherique
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitCake View Post
do not use lexol, its absolute garbage. use at least leathermasters or even better yet leatherique
Where did you get that idea? Lexol is one of the better products besides Leatherique.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I don't want to start a generic product debate here. I wanted someone to address the shininess issue and report specifically if a certain product countered it on Fox Red. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I don't want to start a generic product debate here. I wanted someone to address the shininess issue and report specifically if a certain product countered it on Fox Red. Thanks.
Lexol produces a matte finish on Fox Red, as does Leather Masters shampoo.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #10
AWFRM3
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Quote:
I use the Leather Masters trio religiously on my Fox Red and it maintains the nice matte, like-new finish.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #11
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWFRM3 View Post
I use the Leather Masters trio religiously on my Fox Red and it maintains the nice matte, like-new finish.
Great. Thanks for the reply. If I may ask further:

What is your mileage?
Does your drivers seat get way more use than passenger?
How often do you use the LM?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #12
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

One word.... Leatherique.

SZ
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
AWFRM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Great. Thanks for the reply. If I may ask further:

What is your mileage?
Does your drivers seat get way more use than passenger?
How often do you use the LM?
My car is an '08 with 14,000 miles. It is my daily driver. BTW, I'm 220 pounds. I estimate that my passenger seat has been sat in less than 15 times.

Proper treatment with the Leather Masters trio, PLUS CAREFUL ENTRY AND EXIT, keeps the driver's seat looking good. IMO, the entry and exit is just as important, if not more, than the treatment. I lever myself into and out of the driver's seat, supporting my weight with my left hand on the scuff plate, careful not to rub the side bolster, and rubbing the outside left edge of the seat bottom as little as possible.

I use the cleaner every 1-2 weeks, and the conditioner and protection cream every 4-6 weeks.

One caveat -- I've used the Leather Masters since the beginning, so I don't know whether it would be effective in correcting leather that is already heaily worn, as I don't have any experience with that. Leatherique seems to be often-recommended on this forum and others for re-vitalizing worn leather. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #14
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^ I am careful getting in but probably not as careful as I could be. I know about the side bolster wear from my prior E36 and E46 M3s. BTW I am over 30k miles so I guess a bit more wear and tear is normal. I ordered the LM trio and will report back on the visual improvement if any.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #15
Hawk Lax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 AW Coupe

The leather is shiny because its dirty. Leather master or lexol cleaner will clean the leather and return it to a matte finish. I like leather master protect as the final layer over lexol's conditioner but nothing wrong with lexol.

Last edited by Hawk Lax; 05-18-2010 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #16
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^ By "dirty" I assume you actually mean "sweat infused". I keep my seats pretty clean. Do these products really help with this?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #17
dr.jay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135

Leatherique Twins!!!
      05-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #18
AWFRM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Lax View Post
The leather is shiny because its dirty. Leather master or lexol cleaner will clean the leather and return it to a matte finish. I like leather master protect as the final layer over lexol's conditiojer but nothing wrong with lexol.
+1. I was going to say this earlier - in my experience, just applying the cleaner gets rid of the shine (again, in my case minor shine because I clean every week or two) and returns it to the matte finish. It takes 5 minutes without need to bother with the conditioner and protectant every time.

Quote:
^ By "dirty" I assume you actually mean "sweat infused". I keep my seats pretty clean. Do these products really help with this?
Sweat, dead skin, and, like you say, not necessarily protruding dirt but airborne dirt and dust just from normal use that settles in. As you can tell I like LM, but I believe the cleaner does a good job removing this.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #19
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
While Lexol is good, Leather Masters is probably the best product out there. M, use these products in this order:

1. Leather Master Soft Cleaner (to clean seats, use w/ Swissvax Leather Brush)
2. Leather Master Vital Conditioner (to moisturize the skin)
3. Leather Master Protectant (to seal the skin)

http://www.detailersdomain.com/leathercare.aspx

Last edited by eclipsisNA; 05-11-2010 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #20
Hawk Lax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 AW Coupe

I like the LM stuff also IMHO after cleaning you can skip the vital and just go to the protectant
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 01:03 AM   #21
Alekshop
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 l E46 M3 l GT4 l 991 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy View Post
Leather Master trio.

This trio works for me the best !

I tried it on 1991 BMW with gray leather interior and was very impressed !
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #22
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Tried the Leather Master trio. Have to say I am very disappointed. There has been a very slight reduction in the shininess in my Fox Red seats.

The worst spots are driver seat, bottom and left bolster. The seats are kept quite clean, I think sweat is my biggest contaminant. With business clothes on even with the (weak) AC I tend to get pretty sweaty. I mean not abnormal or gross, but my shirts are often wet on the back after a longish amount of seat time. On a side note I'd love perforated leather with the in seat AC like the M5.... The only thing I didn't do exactly as per th instructions was the wait period in between the different products. When the prior product looked totally dry I moved on. There is still a really large difference between all the parts of the seats that do not get any contact and those that do. In addition the passenger and drivers seats show a large difference due to use difference. I am seriously wondering if any one who recommended this product successfully took Fox Red seats from shiny finish and restored them back to a nice matte OEM finish. I'm certainly keen on hearing more, perhaps some product or application tips.
Appreciate 0