BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-13-2022, 10:26 AM   #133
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

^That's not any more forward than any other "standard" Xpipe. the X would need to be in front of those cats to be a forward X design.
      07-13-2022, 10:41 AM   #134
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Correct. It's why I started the above post with the words, "a very close". Since as far as I know there are no more X-Pipes available with a down pipe crossover X in front of the secondaries. I think the M3World solution is still very good even without the forward X-crossover pressure balancer. I'll remove the word equivalent.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2022, 11:00 AM   #135
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Same as the other stuff, not worth it. buy the X pipe and have a good shop fabricate the rest
      07-24-2022, 11:36 PM   #136
Hein Jockins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340, 08 E92 M3

Did anyone have difficulty getting the provided brackets to bolt back to the headers when connecting the bimmerworld pipe to stock exhaust manifold? It's almost as if the provided brackets needed to be slightly wider so you could slide them further up the xpipe to the headers.

I was able to bolt down one side after hours of fooling around with it, but I could only get one of the E12 bolts on the passenger side. Seems secure enough but I don't want to leave it like this.

Never installed an xpipe or done much exhaust work before, so I imagine it's user error.

I circled in red where those sliding brackets gave me difficulty
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 02:02 PM   #137
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hein Jockins View Post
Did anyone have difficulty getting the provided brackets to bolt back to the headers when connecting the bimmerworld pipe to stock exhaust manifold? It's almost as if the provided brackets needed to be slightly wider so you could slide them further up the xpipe to the headers.

I was able to bolt down one side after hours of fooling around with it, but I could only get one of the E12 bolts on the passenger side. Seems secure enough but I don't want to leave it like this.

Never installed an xpipe or done much exhaust work before, so I imagine it's user error.

I found it to be quite a headache too.....definitely much more of a pain than OE or my previous Supersprint. My guess is part of it has to due with the front pipes not being perfectly aligned to the X portion. I'm going to pull it and try to tweak fitment in the near future.
      07-27-2022, 02:36 PM   #138
Hein Jockins
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
I found it to be quite a headache too.....definitely much more of a pain than OE or my previous Supersprint. My guess is part of it has to due with the front pipes not being perfectly aligned to the X portion. I'm going to pull it and try to tweak fitment in the near future.
Somewhat refreshing to know you also found it difficult. Yeah I definitely think it's the front pipes just cause that's really the only variable that can be adjusted. Other than the bracket which was slid all the way to the top and beaten with a hammer to try to squeeze and extra mm out of it. I was at the point where I said "impossible..." Going to get my mechanic to give it a shot.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 04:52 PM   #139
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Quote:

When I last installed one of these I noticed the header connection wasn't fitting correctly and it turns out it was because the rotation at the slip joint before the X wasn't correct. Try loosening that slip connection and rotate/move the front pipe around until the header connection fits correctly.
      07-27-2022, 05:05 PM   #140
Hein Jockins
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossypiboma View Post
When I last installed one of these I noticed the header connection wasn't fitting correctly and it turns out it was because the rotation at the slip joint before the X wasn't correct. Try loosening that slip connection and rotate/move the front pipe around until the header connection fits correctly.
That's what I'm thinking it is solely because that's the only adjustable part. Felt like I exhausted it cause the pipe was sitting flush with the header connection, yet the bracket would not get close enough to bolt.

Anyhow, thanks for the input--I'm optimistic now that my mechanic can get this figured out especially since he last a lift.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 07:01 PM   #141
x Spades x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
That video is the best sounding S65 exhaust period. Fairly positive the really long resonators on the ESS x pipe is the secret.
Well that and the two extra small resonators on the Corsa connecting pipe.
Appreciate 1
a5m612.50
      08-08-2022, 07:19 PM   #142
x Spades x
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's what I'm thinking it is solely because that's the only adjustable part. Felt like I exhausted it cause the pipe was sitting flush with the header connection, yet the bracket would not get close enough to bolt.

Anyhow, thanks for the input--I'm optimistic now that my mechanic can get this figured out especially since he last a lift.
Exactly. Loosen up this joint, go upward and fit the header portion. Once that's done, adjust the rest o the exhaust piping and tighten (down to exhaust).
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 11:48 AM   #143
cmichaelo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3, '22 Toyota Rav4

200 cpsi GESI cats?

This thread

Am seriously considering the BW Xpipe w/resonators and welding in a cat pair after the X

Was looking at GESI products and they seem to only have 300 and 400 cpsi cats.

https://gsportbygesi.com/high-perfor...tems-products/

Ideally I would probably want a 200 cpsi cat to get as much HP benefit while still being somewhat environmentally friendly.

If GESI can't be had in 200 cpsi, but only in 300, what really is the HP difference between 200 and 300 cpsi, or 100 cpsi for that matter, in the 2ndary position?
Z4MC: KW V3 coilovers (rears)

Last edited by cmichaelo; 09-03-2022 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 01:36 PM   #144
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmichaelo View Post
This thread

Am seriously considering the BW Xpipe w/resonators and welding in a cat pair after the X

Ideally I would probably want a 200 cpsi cat to get as much HP benefit while still being somewhat environmentally friendly.

If GESI can't be had in 200 cpsi, but only in 300, what really is the HP difference between 200 and 300 cpsi, or 100 cpsi for that matter, in the 2ndary position?
Probably not too much of a difference in power, but the cost difference between a Gesi and something like a Magnafloe Universal high flow, will be due to the useage of precious metals, which make it more efficient at converting the gasses.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2022, 09:18 AM   #145
cmichaelo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Probably not too much of a difference in power, but the cost difference between a Gesi and something like a Magnafloe Universal high flow, will be due to the useage of precious metals, which make it more efficient at converting the gasses.
Has anyone heard about these 100 cpi cats from HPA -> https://www.hpamotorsports.com/colle...ter-x-4-5-long

It's $225 just for the core with 2y/40k warranty and 1500deg max.

Seems like a perfect candidate to put as primary cat as it will at least do some cleaning up and is probably very close to catless wrt HP gains.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 09:48 AM   #146
cmichaelo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsiciliano View Post
I have the valvetronic forward x pipe and this thread peaked my interest. Want to add a second set of resonators but based on the design of this x pipe not sure they would fit in the secondary position. Can anyone comment if you think a shop could fit two resonators or am I SOL?

The Valvetronic X-pipe seems near identical in design to the BW pipe as can be seen from this pic of their latest version which also has a full forward X-over:

I can imagine it would be a lot easier to obtain this pipe than BW's pipe since BW is just anal about preventing non-race usage of their pipe.

Last edited by cmichaelo; 09-30-2022 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      09-29-2022, 04:03 PM   #147
x Spades x
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This thread

The Gesi 300 flow just as good as the 200. You won't find anymore 200 cell cats, as regulations have put an end to those. I would only do those of HJS
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2022, 10:48 AM   #148
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
$200 each for Gesi 10025? I need two of these right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingBavaria View Post
I'm going to throw my hat into the ring here. I finally got my setup finished and can relate to this thread lol.

I've had the axle-back for awhile. It's a GRWA valved exhaust, literally no different than Bomiz besides not having branding (so a plus).

The x-pipe is Bimmerworld with the stock Magnaflow resonators, and GESi 10025 in the secondary slot.

I've driven about 200 miles on this setup and wanted to provide my thoughts to help anyone thinking about it. I keep valves open since it honestly sounds weird with them closed, but it's good for being lowkey.

When the car is cold, it sounds more raspy. I don't know if I can really prove this, but the "rasp" seems to go away when it warms up. Now I have to say that this was my impression being inside the car. I never thought it was TOO raspy, but there was some rasp giving it gas at particular RPM's. Also, it doesn't really drone. Windows up cruising on the freeway, it's very manageable. Windows down you can sometimes catch some drone around 3k, but it's something I wasn't even going to mention because I forgot about it.

Now once I heard the car from the OUTSIDE, I think it sounds freakin' incredible. It doesn't sound raspy, it sounds throaty and exotic.

I'm going to have an active Youtube channel coming up here soon (New Years resolution), but wanted to get a quick video linked here for you guys that want to hear it.

One question I do have for those in the know, if I ever did want to swap over to those Vibrant 12" resonators, is there enough space for them after cutting the stock Magnaflow resonators out? Looks like a tight squeeze...

Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions!!

10-13-2022, 12:47 PM   #149
bananabun
Captain
Rep
Drives: E86 M, E92 M

Quote:
The Valvetronic X-pipe seems near identical in design to the BW pipe as can be seen from this pic of their latest version which also has a full forward X-over:

I can imagine it would be a lot easier to obtain this pipe than BW's pipe since BW is just anal about preventing non-race usage of their pipe.
I came across this recently, too. Definitely seems like the best choice currently, but I wonder if it will hold up to track usage. Also doesn't seem to have resonators so def expect drone and a loud volume.
      10-13-2022, 02:32 PM   #150
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabun View Post
I came across this recently, too. Definitely seems like the best choice currently, but I wonder if it will hold up to track usage. Also doesn't seem to have resonators so def expect drone and a loud volume.

I would get a resonated section 2 if you really wanted one.
      10-13-2022, 04:54 PM   #151
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
A noob question. If you wanted to add HFCs to the BW x-pipe, do you guys to drive to the exhaust shop WITH the straight pipe on? Not sure how the shop will be able to accurately correctly weld in the cats otherwise.

I am asking if it is better to bring the whole car with the x pipe already installed on the car or just bring it separately and leave them to weld in the cats, trusting their measurements.
      10-13-2022, 04:56 PM   #152
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
A noob question. If you wanted to add HFCs to the BW x-pipe, do you guys to drive to the exhaust shop WITH the straight pipe on? Not sure how the shop will be able to accurately correctly weld in the cats otherwise, can't trust them to eyeball.
I would bring just the front pieces. Mark the alignment before cutting. Chop the piece comparable to the length of the CAT. Weld in per alignment.
      10-13-2022, 07:12 PM   #153
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
I would bring just the front pieces. Mark the alignment before cutting. Chop the piece comparable to the length of the CAT. Weld in per alignment.
I'm adding cats at the secondary location. That's the whole point of the build!
      10-13-2022, 07:45 PM   #154
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
I'm adding cats at the secondary location. That's the whole point of the build!
Same process.