BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #45
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonS65 View Post
The previous owner was a 65 year old doctor who collected cars. the 1500 mile service was completed. He traded this M3, a F-type R and Lexus something F-sport in all with under 3k miles. I dont think the motor was ever actually broken in but the service was completed.
Your BMW dealer can read your keyfob and how many times it was hit to the redline .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #46
UPSROD
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
I was told by my dealer that the key would not tell them that but is in the onboard computer...I am sure BMW looked at that before agreeing to replace the engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #47
javarithms
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 SG FR, '03 530i

OP I would be depressed if this happened 1 day after the warranty ran out!! It's better that the engine shitted out now than when you're out of warranty.

Drive the car hard (after break-in) to make sure the new engine is good since you're still under warranty. You might want to consider replacing the bearing after the warranty runs out, that's what I'm planning on doing.

Good news is that by the time our warranties run out we should have a good idea if the BE bearings solve the rod bearing issue.
      01-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #48
BostonS65
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP DCT Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by javarithms View Post
OP I would be depressed if this happened 1 day after the warranty ran out!! It's better that the engine shitted out now than when you're out of warranty.

Drive the car hard (after break-in) to make sure the new engine is good since you're still under warranty. You might want to consider replacing the bearing after the warranty runs out, that's what I'm planning on doing.

Good news is that by the time our warranties run out we should have a good idea if the BE bearings solve the rod bearing issue.
Dont get me wrong I am very thankful it is under warranty! Kind of a kick in the stones happening under a month after purchase. I am more worried about the tech scratching the car or something stupid like that but oh well I bought the car to drive it stuff happens. I would really like if they certified the car, which is what I am going to try to do.

I couldn't imagine this happening outside of warranty the car would almost be totaled literally.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #49
325rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 6mt

Over the past 4 months my car has spent about 30+ days at the dealer
2011.5 M3 48k miles.

Vacuum Whistle Noise (Novermber): 1 week
Throttle Body Failure full Limp Mode: December 24th-Jan 1st
Vacuum Whistle Noise AGAIN: Jan 2nd-Jan 21st

I wouldn't get into owning an e9x M3 unless you have porsche 911 money and are willing to throw Porsche 911 money away on a car worth about half as much.

Good luck man, Ill be making a thread soon

Check out my YouTube Fitness Channel if your into that
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz...XQVuG0se8cTpUQ
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #50
narkotic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

You guys are too nice.

I'd make them take the car back...

An engine that fails that early could be an indicator of a lemon.. .or a "Monday" car.

I, too, would be worried about a branded title. Having to explain the situation to someone when trying to sell it is exhausting and truthfully will make it harder to sell.

Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 02:42 PM   #51
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
Don't sweat it, my engine grenaded last year and I got a new engine installed by the dealer under extended warranty... I was excited that I got the opportunity to break-in the new engine the right way... I also got an additional two years of warranty on it... I have not had one single problem with the new engine! It actually added value to my already 55k mile aged car!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #52
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325rider View Post
Over the past 4 months my car has spent about 30+ days at the dealer
2011.5 M3 48k miles.

Vacuum Whistle Noise (Novermber): 1 week
Throttle Body Failure full Limp Mode: December 24th-Jan 1st
Vacuum Whistle Noise AGAIN: Jan 2nd-Jan 21st

I wouldn't get into owning an e9x M3 unless you have porsche 911 money and are willing to throw Porsche 911 money away on a car worth about half as much.

Good luck man, Ill be making a thread soon
what is a vacuum whistle noise? In the door seals? Wind noise?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 03:24 PM   #53
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
The market disagrees with you.

Most consumers look at the records, find "engine replacement" and immediately walk away.

Even if the story checks out, at the very least, it's much easier to sell a no-stories car.

And even if I had no prior intentions of selling the car anytime soon, something like that would wipe clean all my warm and fuzzies and I'd probably want to get rid of it.
But this is the Catch 22 - you want to get rid of it, but no one will buy it?? I mean at this point you're already all in, and might as well ride it to maximum depreciation.

And truly, if this is a collector's car, you could always sell it to Enthusiast Auto Group in 20 years and even if it doesn't have original parts, probably make out decently well.

Even an E30 M3 can be had for less than 100k today, and that to me is still a ridiculous figure. These cars are not classic Porsches which will go for multiple 100s.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #54
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
I'm agreed with you ..
But you need to read OP's post again (only two words) in the "Failure part"=> "Metal everywhere" !
So I'm 99% sure I and also you know better what can be wrong with a S65 after reading that last line
But only 3K on it....Oughh !?!? Think that's a world record for our S65

I still doubt it is a rod bearing issue. You need to read as well the OP when he said

"The service writer said fine, the engine has no compression in cylinder 4 "

Plus he drove the car for few miles after problem occurred. Can you drive the car if the rod bearings are shot? I don' think so.

To me this sounds more of a broken valve, which can lead to metal in oil as well
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 03:54 PM   #55
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-M3 View Post
I still doubt it is a rod bearing issue. You need to read as well the OP when he said

"The service writer said fine, the engine has no compression in cylinder 4 "

Plus he drove the car for few miles after problem occurred. Can you drive the car if the rod bearings are shot? I don' think so.

To me this sounds more of a broken valve, which can lead to metal in oil as well
I'm curious to know also of what took it down .
We saw serveral cases on here with bearing failures while driving and engine suddenly stalled without any warning signal .
Broken valve we saw almost not , but bearing failure we actually saw too much .
Hope to see the cause if OP updates his situation ..and so for the moment we can only guess .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 04:36 PM   #56
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

Does anyone know if you experience a complete engine failure like that out of warranty, if you can file an insurance claim and have it fixed by your insurance company?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #57
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RElias21 View Post
Does anyone know if you experience a complete engine failure like that out of warranty, if you can file an insurance claim and have it fixed by your insurance company?
maybe if you ran it into a tree
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 05:06 PM   #58
m3aviator
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RElias21
No
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 05:47 PM   #59
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
We saw serveral cases on here with bearing failures while driving and engine suddenly stalled without any warning signal .
Hope to see the cause if OP updates his situation ..and so for the moment we can only guess .
I have seen few with broken valve on our cars.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2016, 05:51 PM   #60
Yellow Snow
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Coupe. Stock no more!

Quote:
If the valves are damaged or similar which is causing metal swarf to enter the oil, will you be blaming the 'crappy' rod bearings when they look scored?
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2016, 06:15 PM   #61
AdonM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt

I say keep your car and enjoy. Now you get to break in the new engine. As long as they do a good job of installing the new engine I don't see how the value of your car can decrease. My engine went boom a few months ago and the same thing happened to me(48kmiles). The car just turned off but I wasn't able to turn it back on. It was a rod bearing issue that lead to the crankshaft being seized. BMW covered it under extended warranty and installed a new engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #62
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Don't forget to make them pay for another 1200 mile oil change on the new engine.

Glad it was under warranty.

Good luck from now on with the car!

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #63
m3aviator
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

its under warranty.... i don't get why people have to chime in and stir the pot. if they don't replace the motor then its a problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 07:59 PM   #64
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3aviator
its under warranty.... i don't get why people have to chime in and stir the pot. if they don't replace the motor then its a problem.
Are you new to these forums? Stirring the pot is done for sport here.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 09:01 PM   #65
Rich150001
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

There are people suggesting that the owners who had failed bearings should report their case to: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Also, there are some lawyer threads on here looking into suing BMW for rod bearing failures. May be worth looking up and adding your case.

Sorry for your loss. Love these cars, but is depressing seeing blown motors every week or two even if it is just 1% of all cars.
      01-21-2016, 09:45 PM   #66
e93 jonesy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E86 Z4M, W219 CLS63s

Garage List
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonS65 View Post
Hi guys,

Unfortunately my first post on here is going to be a bit of a rant. Not sure if it is in the right spot.

BACKGROUND

I'll start with the car - I looked for a very long time for the specific car I was looking for, a White E92 MINT condition needed to have DCT Comp pack and no miles (previous car was a 2012 CTS-V). After looking for about a year or so I finally found her. I live north of Boston and the car was at BMW of Roxbury NJ. I immediately called, drove down and purchased the car.

She was perfect. Not a mark on the car 2013 2,246 miles on the clock, Mineral White, I was in love. Drove her home about 4hrs, no complaints best car ever.

FAILURE

It wasn't till about two weeks later when I was getting fuel on my lunch break and proceeded to drive back to work. There was a bit of traffic so it was stop and go for about one mile until I would be back at the office. I was going about 20 MPH when it happened, it just shut off with no warning. Luckily I was able to pull off to the side of the road without being rear-ended, where I proceeded to try and start the car. It started first try, however it was only running on what had felt like 2 cylinders. I thought at the time it was probably something stupid like a sensor, I mean come on it has 3k miles right? I drove it 4 miles to my nearest BMW dealer which is BMW of Peabody where they gave me a loaner and took my car. About a week of calling them every day to see what was wrong I would only get the answer “we are waiting on BMW as to what to do next”. On Friday of that week I called and told them this is bs, your telling me you already diagnosed the car but don’t know what to do now for 5 days? Tell me what is wrong with my car. The service writer said fine, the engine has no compression in cylinder 4 and we aren’t sure if it is going to be warranty or not. I tried to get an exact answer as to what failed but it was no use, he kept telling me we are not taking the engine apart there is metal everywhere, we cannot determine the point of failure.

I was on fire, I said how would this even be considered to not be under warranty, it is a 2013 with 3,124 miles on it. After bickering with BMW NA customer care and the dealer the ordered me a new engine. The car is still currently at the shop and I’m really confused on what to do now. I love this car but this is such a turn off for the BMW brand.

DEPRESSION

I'm going to have a 2013 M3 with 3,124 miles that WAS mint and all original, that has been completely taken apart and has a new engine. I am worried that the carfax is going to be ruined and I am going to take a huge loss on a car I just spent ALL the money on because it was MINT and had no problems to worry about in the immediate future. I am also afraid of the engine failing out of warranty in another 3k miles.

What do you guys think I should do? Completely abandon the BMW brand all together and sell my car, or chance it and keep my mintish hacked up new engine 3k mile m3.

I apologize if I sound a bit bitchy, I really take care of my stuff and wanted this exact car for so long. It really hurts me having this all happen a month after buying it
Hey Boston, Keep the car! you got a new engine!!! Even better installed by a BMW master tech... Same thing happened to me a couple years ago. Engine started pissing oil like mad, just a week after I bought it (44k miles). BMW took the car and the next day told me that the engine would be replaced no questions asked. Take care of your baby!

jonesy...
Appreciate 0