BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-10-2022, 11:15 AM   #1
JimmyChengCA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

What needs to be done at 30k miles (48k kms) mark? Need your suggestions

I bought this beautiful alpine white BMW M3 recently (traded in my Panamera turbo for it! of course with more money in my wallet :-)). It's sitting at 48000 kms (cuz I'm in Canada) which is roughly 30000 miles. I intend to keep this car for at least another 3-5 years.

I know that the brake fluid/pads/tires has been done. Engine air filter and power steering oil is replaced in 2019. I don't think any of the other major maintenance has been done. (I don't have full service records on it)

I am thinking about getting the rod bearings/motor mounts done in a few weeks. I just want to get some help on what other parts you guys think should be replaced/fixed? I mean the car looks in pristine condition and drives fine except it feels a bit dry (I don't know how to describe it better) on lower rpms (even after warming up), might be old belts/pulleys? Or might just be how this engine sounds.

Personally, I am thinking about the spark plugs, transmission oil and LSD oil (also replace plugs). Please let me know what else do you think needs to be replaced.

Thank you guys for the help!
Attached Images

Last edited by JimmyChengCA; 08-10-2022 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: try to upload image
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 12:19 PM   #2
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
I think you've got your list. Rod bearings, motor mounts, transmission fluid, diff, spark plugs. Would not get into pulley or belt replacement at this low miles and your coolant probably still fine. Consider intake filter and cabin filters.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 12:21 PM   #3
JimmyChengCA
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
I think you've got your list. Rod bearings, motor mounts, transmission fluid, diff, spark plugs. Would not get into pulley or belt replacement at this low miles and your coolant probably still fine. Consider intake filter and cabin filters.
Cool, thank you for the suggestions!
Do you feel the "dryness (mostly sound wise)" of the car/engine when running at low rpms? is it normal?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 12:30 PM   #4
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyChengCA View Post
Cool, thank you for the suggestions!
Do you feel the "dryness (mostly sound wise)" of the car/engine when running at low rpms? is it normal?
You might post a video with the hood up and engine running and folks can frequently pin it down from the sound in the video. The bearings on the pulleys are fairly distinct sounding when failing and unlikely yours are with only 30k miles. Common for the S65 to have a ticking sound with hood up but I'm not sure what you mean by dry.

You can visually inspect the belts and if no sign of fraying or cracking given the mileage you should be ok. same with your main coolant hoses which mine looked brand new at my 100k mile refresh.

Belts and pulley replacements are simple DIY but you're in $400-500 on the parts. Those coolant hoses can be a pain to get off but also a fine DIY project.

If you do end up doing belts, pulleys, and coolant hoses - and you have any design to supercharge, I'd spend $600 on a CSF radiator and put it in while you're doing all that. That radiator makes a huge difference on your intake temps which equals "free" horsepower.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 12:35 PM   #5
JimmyChengCA
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You might post a video with the hood up and engine running and folks can frequently pin it down from the sound in the video. The bearings on the pulleys are fairly distinct sounding when failing and unlikely yours are with only 30k miles. Common for the S65 to have a ticking sound with hood up but I'm not sure what you mean by dry.

You can visually inspect the belts and if no sign of fraying or cracking given the mileage you should be ok. same with your main coolant hoses which mine looked brand new at my 100k mile refresh.

Belts and pulley replacements are simple DIY but you're in $400-500 on the parts. Those coolant hoses can be a pain to get off but also a fine DIY project.

If you do end up doing belts, pulleys, and coolant hoses - and you have any design to supercharge, I'd spend $600 on a CSF radiator and put it in while you're doing all that. That radiator makes a huge difference on your intake temps which equals "free" horsepower.
wow, thanks again for the detailed explanations.
Yeah I'll try to record a video. There's no ticking or anything, just a very slight whistle like sound when nearing 3k rpm, very minor. And when driving out of my underground parking lot every day between 1-2k rpm (after warming up) it sounds like there's not enough lubrication, can't really describe it other than sounds dry haha. Maybe it's normal for the engine, I've not driven a new one when they came out so can't really say.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 02:58 PM   #6
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

Some of this could just not being used to the S65 noises. It's a really noisy engine, and it can be quite concerning if you're not used to it. For example, sometimes you get a clunk when firing up the engine while cold. It's just the VANOS pressurizing. At low RPMs it can definitely feel/sound a bit unhappy.

I have a 958.1 CTT as a daily/hauler, and that V8 is definitely more insulated and less "uppity". It could just be needing to get used to the change.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 03:10 PM   #7
JimmyChengCA
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike360 View Post
Some of this could just not being used to the S65 noises. It's a really noisy engine, and it can be quite concerning if you're not used to it. For example, sometimes you get a clunk when firing up the engine while cold. It's just the VANOS pressurizing. At low RPMs it can definitely feel/sound a bit unhappy.

I have a 958.1 CTT as a daily/hauler, and that V8 is definitely more insulated and less "uppity". It could just be needing to get used to the change.
Yeah I guess that could be the reason. Thank you so much for reassuring me.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 03:26 PM   #8
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
The engine sounds very metallic and rough for the first minute and a half or so while the secondary air injection system valves are open and the cold start routine warms things up.

Warm the car up and check the oil level.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 04:01 PM   #9
JimmyChengCA
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

I've uploaded a video here:
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 04:31 PM   #10
JimmyChengCA
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spammysammich View Post
The engine sounds very metallic and rough for the first minute and a half or so while the secondary air injection system valves are open and the cold start routine warms things up.

Warm the car up and check the oil level.
Yeah could just be the engine. My oil level is almost full so I guess that's ok. I've uploaded a video recording the sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 04:35 PM   #11
spammysammich
Major
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
I don't know what you're expecting but these engines don't sound like sewing machines. Sounds normal to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 04:37 PM   #12
JimmyChengCA
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spammysammich View Post
I don't know what you're expecting but these engines don't sound like sewing machines. Sounds normal to me.
Thanks! That's good to know. Like I said I'm just not used to the less insulated engine sound I guess.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 04:39 PM   #13
spammysammich
Major
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Dry engine as in lacking oil would make knocking sounds or very loud ticking. Not the quiet ticking of fuel injectors.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 04:39 PM   #14
NiBe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 & E92

Sounds beautiful.
Appreciate 0