BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-24-2022, 12:01 AM   #23
ExoticM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Just need to change your perspective. I often drive my bone stock e92 DCT after my modded 991 Turbo S that traps 147 in the 1/4 mile and I like the e92 better. It is not as fast but the powerband is super addictive. Got to rev it all the way out and its a blast and you dont really have to worry about going to jail either if you are caught.
Awesome car by the way! I must be driving her wrong LOL. I will say, when I do hit the highway and rev the car all the way out it puts a smile on my face
Appreciate 2
      06-24-2022, 06:58 AM   #24
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticM3 View Post
Man! 😂 this is exactly how I feel. I came from a WRX same as you as far as the 2L goes and was catless DP etc… Awesome to hear this car made an impression on you even after driving your old car.

"I recently added a 3.45 FD and the car is frantic in any rpm in 1st and 2nd gear"

What's the 3.45 FD you mentioned?
3.45 or 3.62 final drive ratio for DCT
4.10 final drive ratio for 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 08:16 AM   #25
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Awesome car by the way! I must be driving her wrong LOL. I will say, when I do hit the highway and rev the car all the way out it puts a smile on my face
Minor point but new plugs/worn air filters and general lack of maintenance will affect the S65 in a noticeable way.

I've never had a car where the power of new plugs can be honestly felt in power and response. Is your car stock? Got fresh plugs in it?

Just a thought, you have to do every little thing you can to get the S65 humming.

When I bought my E92 at 49K it had original plugs, original air filter, original trans fluid, original diff fluid, etc. After fresh plugs and fluids, Intake/tune/cat delete it is a completely different car and has way more power. In fact looking back when I first got it I knew it needed a few things because I could literally feel it wasn't right.

I guess I am saying the car isn't meant for drag racing but if you put a neglected, stock, 6mt E9x up against even a mildly modded E92 with up to date maintenance one would be way faster than the other.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 09:10 AM   #26
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
You just getting use to it. It's just as fast as it was the first day you drove it. If you eat your favorite food everyday, the first couple days are gonna be awesome but at some point youre gonna want something different, better. There's always gonna be something better, faster, newer or whatever and if that's the goal, you're going down a slippery, expensive slope.

Let your friends or a non car person drive it and they'll surely tell you how remarkable it is.

And think about your average commute and all the other cars you see around you, how many of those are E9x M3's? I'd say none. Someone mentioned helcats and I saw 2 of those this afternoon, countless mustangs, with a GT350 sprinkled. Super cars are my favorites and in Florida I'm fortunate enough to see them daily as well but I still rarely see our platform and if and when I do, 9 times out of 10 it's at a cars and coffee. Not sure if that matters but it's pretty special to drive something that is so special and not so common.

Your car is still quicker than most of the cars you share the road with on the way to the office in the morning.
This couldn't be more accurate. I like your perspective and also hardly ever see our platform on the road. I always see them at car meets and NEVER see them on the roads. Where I'm from there's a bunch of domestics like you mentioned and they are played out. Must be a real treat to see those cars in FL ahahah. I appreciate your outlook, definitely makes me more appreciative of what I own 🤝
Its awesome to see all the amazing cars around here and it really makes me appreciate my M3 even more. A couple months ago I saw 4 Ferraris lined up at a stop light. Probably a dealer taking delivery or something but still very cool. I went fishing and came back to my car and a Lamborghini was parked right next to mine. I had to be extra cautious loading my rods, lol. There a guy in my neighborhood who daily drives his MP412C, rain or shine, very cool. And even my 10 old daughter who couldn't care less about cars points out the new corvette rolling around at least a few times per week. I even saw a koenigsegg out for ice cream a while ago. It never gets old.

But I do understand what you're saying. I have a few roads that I can mash the pedal to the floor and sometimes I'm just waiting and wanting just a little more, ok, a lot more, but it's rare. The power in our cars for me is perfect. Just enough to scare you at times, get you into a little trouble and the brakes and steering control are good enough to get you out of trouble. Anymore and I'd probably wrap it around a tree and any less I'd probably move on.

Sorry for all the words. Either way you've got an iconic car, one that a lot of us dreamed about. Enjoy it while you got it.
Appreciate 2
Siajoon1859.50
      06-24-2022, 11:55 AM   #27
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
You have to keep it cooking from 6000-8000rpm that's where the car really jams. The car isn't going to feel that fast tho, it has no torque.
*rod bearings left the chat* but you're right! I love that range of power, it just gets old after awhile which is most due to the torque being absolutely 0
You should buy a different car honestly. The engine doesn't want to be short shifted. If that's how you prefer to drive a more modern turbo car would be a great fit.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 01:35 PM   #28
ExoticM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Quote:
Man! 😂 this is exactly how I feel. I came from a WRX same as you as far as the 2L goes and was catless DP etc… Awesome to hear this car made an impression on you even after driving your old car.

"I recently added a 3.45 FD and the car is frantic in any rpm in 1st and 2nd gear"

What's the 3.45 FD you mentioned?
3.45 or 3.62 final drive ratio for DCT
4.10 final drive ratio for 6MT
How do you get the 4.10 Ratio for the 6MT?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 01:38 PM   #29
ExoticM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You just getting use to it. It's just as fast as it was the first day you drove it. If you eat your favorite food everyday, the first couple days are gonna be awesome but at some point youre gonna want something different, better. There's always gonna be something better, faster, newer or whatever and if that's the goal, you're going down a slippery, expensive slope.

Let your friends or a non car person drive it and they'll surely tell you how remarkable it is.

And think about your average commute and all the other cars you see around you, how many of those are E9x M3's? I'd say none. Someone mentioned helcats and I saw 2 of those this afternoon, countless mustangs, with a GT350 sprinkled. Super cars are my favorites and in Florida I'm fortunate enough to see them daily as well but I still rarely see our platform and if and when I do, 9 times out of 10 it's at a cars and coffee. Not sure if that matters but it's pretty special to drive something that is so special and not so common.

Your car is still quicker than most of the cars you share the road with on the way to the office in the morning.
This couldn't be more accurate. I like your perspective and also hardly ever see our platform on the road. I always see them at car meets and NEVER see them on the roads. Where I'm from there's a bunch of domestics like you mentioned and they are played out. Must be a real treat to see those cars in FL ahahah. I appreciate your outlook, definitely makes me more appreciative of what I own 🤝
Its awesome to see all the amazing cars around here and it really makes me appreciate my M3 even more. A couple months ago I saw 4 Ferraris lined up at a stop light. Probably a dealer taking delivery or something but still very cool. I went fishing and came back to my car and a Lamborghini was parked right next to mine. I had to be extra cautious loading my rods, lol. There a guy in my neighborhood who daily drives his MP412C, rain or shine, very cool. And even my 10 old daughter who couldn't care less about cars points out the new corvette rolling around at least a few times per week. I even saw a koenigsegg out for ice cream a while ago. It never gets old.

But I do understand what you're saying. I have a few roads that I can mash the pedal to the floor and sometimes I'm just waiting and wanting just a little more, ok, a lot more, but it's rare. The power in our cars for me is perfect. Just enough to scare you at times, get you into a little trouble and the brakes and steering control are good enough to get you out of trouble. Anymore and I'd probably wrap it around a tree and any less I'd probably move on.

Sorry for all the words. Either way you've got an iconic car, one that a lot of us dreamed about. Enjoy it while you got it.
I definitely appreciate the time you took to respond, means a lot 🤝. I always said I would get this car one day and eventually I did and always remember when I wanted this car so bad. The people I'm around don't appreciate cars for what they truly are and only concerned with speed which can be a bit frustrating when talking about other vehicles. Guess it takes a true car enthusiast to appreciate another's ride
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2022, 01:40 PM   #30
ExoticM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Quote:
You have to keep it cooking from 6000-8000rpm that's where the car really jams. The car isn't going to feel that fast tho, it has no torque.
*rod bearings left the chat* but you're right! I love that range of power, it just gets old after awhile which is most due to the torque being absolutely 0
You should buy a different car honestly. The engine doesn't want to be short shifted. If that's how you prefer to drive a more modern turbo car would be a great fit.
It's not that I prefer to short shift but don't get the opportunity to rev the car out on my daily commute. I see your point but I would only get a Porsche if I were to sell this car, preferably a 911 GT3 which is also N/A
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 01:42 PM   #31
ExoticM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
Quote:
Minor point but new plugs/worn air filters and general lack of maintenance will affect the S65 in a noticeable way.

I've never had a car where the power of new plugs can be honestly felt in power and response. Is your car stock? Got fresh plugs in it?

Just a thought, you have to do every little thing you can to get the S65 humming.

When I bought my E92 at 49K it had original plugs, original air filter, original trans fluid, original diff fluid, etc. After fresh plugs and fluids, Intake/tune/cat delete it is a completely different car and has way more power. In fact looking back when I first got it I knew it needed a few things because I could literally feel it wasn't right.

I guess I am saying the car isn't meant for drag racing but if you put a neglected, stock, 6mt E9x up against even a mildly modded E92 with up to date maintenance one would be way faster than the other.
I'm catless with E85. I feel the power for sure but I will change the plugs and see if that changes anything.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2022, 04:04 PM   #32
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

Just put a blower on it and call it a day chief
Appreciate 4
DrFerry6728.50
Davisca4552207.50
ATLIEN549.00
      06-24-2022, 04:21 PM   #33
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It's not that I prefer to short shift but don't get the opportunity to rev the car out on my daily commute. I see your point but I would only get a Porsche if I were to sell this car, preferably a 911 GT3 which is also N/A
I had the 991 GT3 also that car is insane but I got it with the carbon bucket seats which was a nightmare except when on the racetrack. If i get another one it will be spec'd with the sofas. It is also very impractical and I was worried about driving/parking it. The e92 M3 DCT is a fantastic substitute for generating a similar experience at a fraction of the cost and headache.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 5
DrFerry6728.50
Davisca4552207.50
akkando5863.00
      06-24-2022, 04:53 PM   #34
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
After having my M3 for 4 months now I feel lack of power unless I am going 100MPH+. I know that these cars and specifically the engine are meant to be revved in the very high of the rpm range but even then it still feels "eh" I made the move to stage 2 and E85 yet still feel lack of power which is most likely the torque.
Quote:
I would like a hellcat though
Are you sure you wouldn't actually prefer at Mustang GT or perhaps a Camaro rather than a Euro Sports Coupe with one of the most high revving V8s that's ever been mass produced?
https://www.automobile-catalog.com/c...automatic.html
This could be you with 410 ft-lbs of torque..

Claimed 2022 Ford Mustang GT V8 specs from Ford's website:
https://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/mo...v=vhpnav-specs
Attached Images

'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint

Last edited by DrFerry; 06-25-2022 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 2
      06-24-2022, 05:36 PM   #35
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
How do you get the 4.10 Ratio for the 6MT?
Diffsonline should have them in stock.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
      06-24-2022, 10:36 PM   #36
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

Down shift... And when you feel like you're revving it too high, step on the right pedal some more.

Seriously, coming from just about any other car, you will probably shift way too early. These cars really wake up after 4-5k rpm. I don't think FI is the way to go, let her spin a little and you'll discover whole other car.

Quote:
After having my M3 for 4 months now I feel lack of power unless I am going 100MPH+. I know that these cars and specifically the engine are meant to be revved in the very high of the rpm range but even then it still feels "eh" I made the move to stage 2 and E85 yet still feel lack of power which is most likely the torque. I know FI is the way to go but it just sucks that it is excessively expensive to get more power, I understand it is N/A and that is the root of cost expense for more power.

Just wanna know if anyone else feels the same and let me know if I'm driving the car the wrong way it's meant to be driving. I daily drive this vehicle and often go 130mph only because that's where the car feels alive.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
      06-25-2022, 07:33 AM   #37
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

A few points:

1) regularly doing 130 on public roads other than a large, open highway that's not crowded—-just praying you are exaggerating.

2) This platform is still as fast or faster than 90% of the cars on the road STOCK. Of course putting in solid aluminum subframe bushings and stiffer diff bushings make a huge difference on the feel and ability to put the power down.

3) I'd bet everything I own that the people who complain about the lack of power would get LAPPED by a 328i on most tracks by any half decent track guy. Point? I cannot understand how people who can't drive these cars at the limits can complain about a lack of power.

Sorry, but these posts are hard to take seriously.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 6
DrFerry6728.50
Biginboca3763.50
ccdre337.00
      06-25-2022, 09:43 AM   #38
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Well said. Just what I was thinking, especially without photos of the speedo at 130mph. Why buy an E9X M3 when it sounds to me like the OP really would prefer a Camaro 1LE or Mustang GT.. Excellent M3Post homage to the S65 linked below with even more videos and photos.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1065981

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...ine-for-the-m3
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 2
      06-25-2022, 11:43 AM   #39
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I bought my '08 DCT e92 with the blower already on it, love at first sight but deep down wished it was a manual.

First time on the track, I was all "Ahh, now I understand why DCT."

Every 2 years I switch it back to OEM spec for a week or two, and it's still a blast.
I do have to wring its neck to make it go, but it's still super fun.

I think the DCT is a good match for this engine.

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 4
      06-25-2022, 05:37 PM   #40
ExoticM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Quote:
After having my M3 for 4 months now I feel lack of power unless I am going 100MPH+. I know that these cars and specifically the engine are meant to be revved in the very high of the rpm range but even then it still feels "eh" I made the move to stage 2 and E85 yet still feel lack of power which is most likely the torque.
Quote:
I would like a hellcat though
Are you sure you wouldn't actually prefer at Mustang GT or perhaps a Camaro rather than a Euro Sports Coupe with one of the most high revving V8s that's ever been mass produced?
https://www.automobile-catalog.com/c...automatic.html
This could be you with 410 ft-lbs of torque..

Claimed 2022 Ford Mustang GT V8 specs from Ford's website:
https://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/mo...v=vhpnav-specs
I appreciate this 😭
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      06-25-2022, 08:56 PM   #41
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Sounds like you should switch out to an f8x or g8x M car if raw power is what you are after
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2022, 09:36 PM   #42
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

how much for the car?
Appreciate 5
DrFerry6728.50
ATLIEN549.00
akkando5863.00
UBERV8528.00
      06-27-2022, 12:00 PM   #43
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Garage List
  [0.00]
I'm new to the M platform but knew what I was getting into. I have owned N54's fully clapped out eating most things on the street. N55's street/track on a 6spd MT slow off the line.

You have to know what you want. If you want the fastest thing on the street and off the line, get a Tesla or a new electric Porsche or M50i. If you wish to drop cost because the cars I mentioned are ridiculously priced, get a clapped out turbo Honda fully stripped down. Or do if you want the M3 for all the reasons you get an e9x M3, then stick a SC on it, get a DCT version, 18" rims, two-piece rotors(basically maximum rotational mass reduction), weight reduction overall with e92 carbon roof.

Or get the Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa and murder everything.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 2
kolosy1480.50
CamasM3e933147.50
      06-30-2022, 11:08 PM   #44
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Well said. Just what I was thinking, especially without photos of the speedo at 130mph. Why buy an E9X M3 when it sounds to me like the OP really would prefer a Camaro 1LE or Mustang GT.. Excellent M3Post homage to the S65 linked below with even more videos and photos.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1065981

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...ine-for-the-m3
Great thread….seen it before but always a good reminder.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50