BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

06-03-2021, 12:46 AM   #1
jeremyuhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

DIY: VAC Oil Diverter Valve (Thermostat + Water Pump + Oil Filter Housing Gasket)

Did this whole job a few weeks ago, sourcing multiple threads as a guide. Decided to condense all of this into one thread with a simple step by step for any one else who needs to perform this job.

This was my problem: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1808462

I had scheduled maintenance coming up so I decided to tackle everything at once, part numbers are for a manual transmission 07/2008 E90 M3

BMW LKR8AP G-Power Spark Plug - NGK 4471 X 8
BMW Repair Wiring Harness Coolant Sensor - Genuine BMW 12517847971
BMW Temperature Sensor - Genuine BMW 13621433076 (purchased mine on eBay, way cheaper for OE)
BMW Oil Filter Housing Gasket - Genuine BMW 11427838276
BMW Oil Pressure Switch - Rein 12618611273
BMW O-Ring - Genuine BMW 17212283511 X 2
BMW Thermostat - Mahle Behr 11537836155
BMW Water Pipe O-Ring - Reinz 11531406249 X 4
BMW Water Pump O-Ring - Reinz 11511711484
BMW Coolant/Antifreeze (1 Gallon) - Genuine BMW 82141467704
BMW Fuel Tank Vent Valve - Bosch 13907838281
BMW A/C Drive Belt - Genuine BMW 11287841529
BMW Serpentine Belt - Genuine BMW 11287837898
VAC MOTORSPORTS OIL DIVERTER VALVE, BMW S65
Redline Water Wetter
Distilled Water

Used these threads for guidance:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1312849
and
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...highlight=epic

1. Remove Intake: start by removing the suction hood (#8) by removing (2) x T25 screws (#10) then use a trim tool to remove the rivets (a screwdriver will crack/break the expanding rivets) and remove the 2 pieces that make up the suction hood. Then loosen the hose clamp from the intake boot, then remove the whole intake assembly (#1) in one piece by removing (2) x 10mm bolts (#6)

2. Remove plenum: loosen then remove hose clamp, 6mm socket, from plenum to boot, unclip vacuum hose from boot. Loosen (8) x 6mm hose clamps (4) on each side, loosen on the tighter side. (If you completely loosened the clamp make sure to re-tighten before re-installing the plenum otherwise you will be pushing the 6mm away from you when trying to tighten) Unclip the sensor at the front left of the intake, unclip the vent hose underneath the front of the plenum, and lastly unclip the hose at the very back right bottom of the plenum. Squeeze and pull down/out for both. The rear hose is a PITA. Finally remove the entire plenum.

3. Replace Spark Plugs: Simple task. Remove ignition coil cover. (No need to loose coolant tank for the passenger side, if i can do it, so can you, lol) Unplug connection to ignition coil. Pop off each ignition coil using a remover or very very carefully with a screwdriver and towel. You need 5/8" swivel socket and an extension. The furthest back most plugs are not that hard, I really dont know why people struggle. You dont need a ton of extensions, one 6" with the swivel socket and some tape to secure the socket to the extension will do it. I probably should have changed my spark plug tubes, too. Plugs were done by previous owner on 04/11/2018, invoices do not show mileage.

4. Replace Fuel Breather Valve: If the part is bad, you will experience rough idling. An easy replacement while youre doing all this. First unplug sensor. Next undo hose by pushing valve and squeezing, once you feel the tabs are free, pull off. This took me a while. Now you can either loosen and remove the entire hose from the engine or loosen and remove the hose from the breather valve. The valve comes out by slipping it off the mounting tab. I removed the entire hose so I had the valve with the hose still attached, completely off the car, then slowly removed the hose from the valve using some pliers.

5. Thermostat - Remove Coolant Hoses: Drain coolant tank to avoid a giant mess. Put some towels or a bucket or pan, anything to catch spilling coolant, underneath the car. I used a harbor freight pump which made draining a breeze.

Next, remove hoses from coolant tank and remove radiator hoses. Pry the clips up and wiggle the hoses off. Some coolant will spill, be ready. I drained my radiator completely just to be on the safe side. And my coolant looked old and oily, which also made me want to drain it.

There is no need to undo the fuel rail, just unclip the fuel line from the clip on thermostat cover. Undo the coolant temp sensor, loosen the sensor now if you're going to replace it (22 Socket), then remove the (3) x 10mm bolts and remove the housing. It might be stuck a bit, use a small amount of force.

Pry out old thermostat, clean the housing using a 3M scotch-brite pad, replace and hand tighten coolant temp sensor, put in new thermostat and re-insert or leave it out if youre going to continue with the water pump and Oil Filter Housing gasket, just leave you more room.

6. Water Pump - Remove Fan: Unscrew (1) x 10mm bolt from top left of the radiator, undo the big power connector, then carefully pull the whole thing up and out. I was being rough and did not damage my radiator fins. When re-installing, remember to line up the bottom tabs and clip your hoses back into the clamps.

Next, remove the slim coolant hose that runs in front of the pump.

Once that is out, you need to remove the belt. But before you do that, loosen the (4) x 10mm on the water pump pulley. I actually did not and was able to hold the pump with my left and break them loose with the socket wrench. Not sure if they were just were not torqued properly, but its an option. Now, remove the cap on the top right side tensioner and with a 14mm box wrench or short socket on a ratchet, anything that will give you ample leverage, press down until it stops. If you're having trouble removing the belt you're not pressing down enough. It will physically stop.

You cannot remove the belts until you have the power steering belt off, and you cant remove either until you have the oil cooler lines disconnected. So move the belt out of the way and remove the (4) x T30 bolts holding in the water pump. If you're using the harbor freight pump, suck out some of that coolant from the top to avoid more mess. If the pump is stuck or you're having a hard time removing it, you can use the middle threads on the pump to back the pump out, screwing down one side at a time until it can easily be pulled out. Swap out the pump's O Ring and set the pump aside.

7. Oil Filter Housing (finally) - Remove Oil Cooler lines: I pumped out the oil from the oil filter housing before doing any of this (Remove the filter then pump it out, you can re-use or drop in a new filter). First remove the (1) x 10mm bolt holding the oil cooler lines clip down. Be gentle, its fragile. Next remove the (2) x 10mm nuts that hold the oil cooler lines into the oil filter housing. move those out of the way, there is flex in the lines, you wont bend or snap anything. Oil will spill out, be ready. Then unplug the oil pressure switch.

Remove Belt: Now loosen the (3) x 10mm bolts on the power steering pulley. Using a 14mm box wrench or ratchet, again, push down hard on the lower tensioner until it stops, and remove the belt. Once the belt is off, remove the power steering pulley, CAREFULLY, do not pry it or the edges will crack and you will need to buy a new one. Remove the (3) x 13mm or 10mm, i dont remember, bolts holding the power steering pump to the bracket. Pull the pump out, down and out of the way. Also remove the tension pulley on the oil filter housing, (1) x 13 or 14mm bolt and remove the belt.

Remove AC bracket: Not sure if this was necessary, but i removed it anyway. (2) x 13 or 14mm bolts on the AC compressor, one on top and one directly underneath. Can be accessed from under the car. Its a pain to remove and especially a pain to re-install because the mounting points are sleeved. You can move the AC compressor around a bit to make it fall into place when reinstalling.

Not sure if this is necessary either, but unclip this wire and unplug its connector and you are ready to remove the oil filter housing.

Oil Filter Housing Removal: First you need a T30 bit, measure it against the harmonic balancer and the one T30 bolt that sits behind it. Cut that T30 bolt using an angle grinder, saw, dremel, plasma cutter, or your teeth. Just get it to the right length where it will fit in an 1/4 wrench or ratchet that will fit behind the harmonic balancer. Use electrical tape or whatever to hold the shortened bit in place. Once you break that bolt loose, it cannot be removed until you remove the rest of the bolts holding the OFH in and pull the OFH off.

Now undo the rest of the bolts they are a combination of T30 and T40 bolts, IIRC. A member suggested to print this out: https://www.m3post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2362224&stc=1&d=159460 7381 and punch the bolts into the diagram so you dont mix them up. That is exactly what i did and it made the re-install a breeze. Replace your oil pressure switch if needed, pull off the gasket from the block if it didnt come off with the OFH, replace your gasket and clean up the oil from the OFH.

8. VAC Diverter Valve: Remove the (3) x T20 bolts that hold down the oil thermostat in the OFH. Remove the oil thermostat, replace with VAC valve the same way you removed the oil thermostat, and bolt the cap back on. You will need to press down hard to compress the spring. You can technically do this without removing the OFH, but like another member said, you will need to figure out how to press down on the cap while threading the 3 bolts back in. Lube up the spring, valve, and internals for good measure and make sure to tighten your oil pressure switch. There is also no need to open the filter cap.

9. Reinstall Everything, lol: Do everything in reverse. Make sure to replace o-rings, top off oil if needed, and fill and bleed your coolant. Tighten both the oil pressure switch and coolant temp sensor with a 22mm deep socket. There are 4 o-rings that go on the connecting tubes to the thermostat housing. Pull those off and replace all the o-rings. Carefully line them up and insert them back into place. I successfully re-inserted them without cutting or pinching the o-ring, although i almost got unlucky. Just be cautious.

Double check everything, make sure all bolts are tight and torqued to spec, belts are properly seated and all cleaned up.

Now my oil temps are great while cruising, at speed on the freeway, at night, and in traffic with the AC on vs how it was before. I warm my car up an extra 5 min and drive calmly, shifting at 3k, then driving normally once warm. And my normal driving is actually, normal. I dont hoon or gun it to every light on the streets. Hope this helps someone with the job. Feel free to PM! Cheers.

Last edited by jeremyuhh; 06-03-2021 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 11
      06-08-2021, 06:38 PM   #2
stalechips
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Thanks so much for the guide! Planning to do the Oil Filter Housing Gasket and needed the diagram shown!
Appreciate 1
jeremyuhh463.00
      06-08-2021, 06:43 PM   #3
NeverL8
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slow

Great write up! Thank you!
Appreciate 1
jeremyuhh463.00
      06-08-2021, 09:19 PM   #4
tbuck
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2010 MINI R55 JCW

Great DIY in all respects, nice work!! Although I will say I cringed when I saw the TB's uncovered during all of that, but clearly no harm done. Also this has given me a few ideas on things I will likely do before the SC goes on my car this summer.
      06-08-2021, 10:25 PM   #5
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

an absolute chad you are Jeremy!
Appreciate 1
jeremyuhh463.00
      06-09-2021, 12:09 AM   #6
jeremyuhh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuck View Post
Great DIY in all respects, nice work!! Although I will say I cringed when I saw the TB's uncovered during all of that, but clearly no harm done. Also this has given me a few ideas on things I will likely do before the SC goes on my car this summer.
I had no reason to cover it, lol. there's nothing that would fall in nor did I place anything on top of it. I Inspected it before reinstalling the plenum, looked the same as when I removed it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 05:00 AM   #7
white_4door
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 alpine white e90

Garage List
2001 bmw 540i  [0.00]
2008 bmw 535i  [0.00]
2008 bmw m3  [0.00]
2011 bmw m3  [0.00]
great write up and detail!
Appreciate 1
jeremyuhh463.00
      06-09-2021, 07:34 AM   #8
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Great write up!

Looks like you didn't change the water-pump? only the gasket? Any reason why you didn't just change it 'while in there'?
Appreciate 1
jeremyuhh463.00
      06-09-2021, 12:46 PM   #9
jeremyuhh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Great write up!

Looks like you didn't change the water-pump? only the gasket? Any reason why you didn't just change it 'while in there'?
It was replaced along with the thermostat. Looked pretty good to me, and since it has a metal impeller I figured it has more life to it vs the plastic one. I'm hindsight I probably should have replaced it lol.
Appreciate 1
tdott3930.50
      06-09-2021, 07:02 PM   #10
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyuhh View Post
It was replaced along with the thermostat. Looked pretty good to me, and since it has a metal impeller I figured it has more life to it vs the plastic one. I'm hindsight I probably should have replaced it lol.
Ah okay, makes sense. Didn't know it was recently replaced.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 01:27 PM   #11
andrewmega
wwwwwwwww
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Big thanks for the thorough steps and photos! I took this on yesterday to address a leak from the oil filter housing and basically did everything in the guide except the diverter valve.

A couple notes from my experience:

- After draining the radiator and sucking out what I could from the oil filter housing, it took me a little over 3 hours to reach and remove the oil filter housing. I removed the intake box, plenum, radiator fan, thermostat housing, and water pump on the way to the oil filter housing. Replaced the water pump, the various sensors, valves, seals/o-rings, and spark plugs during reassembly.

- I did NOT remove the AC bracket or that last sensor, they didn't impede the oil filter housing removal.

- Even though I got basically all the coolant and oil out from the radiator and oil filter housing, there was still a good bit of both in there. The lower oil cooler line dripped the whole time it was disconnected. Have your shop towels ready! I also had my undertray off with a large piece of cardboard and a low-profile drain pan underneath to capture anything that came down (or try to, at least)

- The whole thing was straightforward and not inherently difficult. For me, the most annoying/worst part of the project (aside from all the fluids) was replacing the spark plugs. I find the injection coils to be a huge pain, even on my third time replacing plugs on this M3!
Appreciate 2
jeremyuhh463.00
M43S7RO501.00
      07-02-2021, 07:51 PM   #12
blk33
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Thanks for the great write up.
I had the oil filter housing leak, but did not have to do plugs etc.
I followed the guide and was able was able to remove the oil filter housing without taking the plenum box off.
Cheers
Rob
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jeremyuhh463.00
      07-03-2021, 08:56 AM   #13
exVtekGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none yet

can we copy or move this to the DIY forum?? This is good info and should be retained!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 04:24 PM   #14
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Nice write up, nice work!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 01:20 AM   #15
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

Big thank you for this write up. I just did this for my 180k maintenance along with some other items. A couple of notes:

- OFH are T30 and T45 bolts. T30 are M6 bolts (6): 10Nm; T45 are M8 bolts (3): 18Nm
- oil line nuts to OFH (2): 18Nm
- water pump bolts (4): 10Nm
- thermostat housing bolts (3): 10Nm
- water pump pulley bolts (4): 10Nm (not-verified)
- ps pulley bolts (3): 19 Nm
- ps pump to bracket (3): 19 Nm
- deflection pulley (the one i front of the water pump pulley): 34 Nm

No need to touch the PS mounting bracket, nor the AC mounting bracket. I was able to just rotate the PS pump forward and down and reach the OFH bolts.

Again, major thank you to OP for this. It made the job very straight forward!
Appreciate 2
jeremyuhh463.00
e9x_m384.50
      08-24-2023, 01:17 PM   #16
uk215m3
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e92 M3

Quick question in the write up. Point 8. The diverter valve. Did you find the size of the o-ring for the 3 bolt cover ?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 11:45 PM   #17
greg398
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Successful OFH replacement

This is an awesome writeup. I just did the oil filter housing part of it. It went well, and I thought I'd add a few extra points:
  • Shopvac is your friend for sucking the coolant out of the cavity behind the water pump impeller once you pull it off.
  • No need to remove the AC bracket.
  • For the PS pump, you only need to remove the 3 bolts that hold the pump to the bracket. The upper two bolts hold the bracket to the block.
  • In my car (2011 Sedan) there's a 10mm hex bolt holding a small clamp around the lower power steering hose. It's hidden down below the pump, so it wasn't obvious why I couldn't swing the pump before I took it out.
  • I removed the whole idler assembly (it's two bolts) on the AC side of the engine. Gave me a lot more space, and it was easy.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 12:44 PM   #18
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Anyone know where/if the oil thermostat can be purchased? Or if it can be repaired? I've had similar higher temps like OP for years without improvement after changing the cooling thermostat and sensor. I now have a OFHG leak and need to replace. I don't want to go the diverter option as I live in the Midwest and don't track the car. I really don't want to purchase a new housing at $450ish either. I've found some used ones on ebay, but who knows the condition of the thermostat in those. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 02:05 PM   #19
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
Anyone know where/if the oil thermostat can be purchased? Or if it can be repaired? I've had similar higher temps like OP for years without improvement after changing the cooling thermostat and sensor. I now have a OFHG leak and need to replace. I don't want to go the diverter option as I live in the Midwest and don't track the car. I really don't want to purchase a new housing at $450ish either. I've found some used ones on ebay, but who knows the condition of the thermostat in those. Thanks.
I think the only way is a new OFH. BMW doesn't have this part separately.

Last edited by tdott; 02-06-2024 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0