BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

04-23-2015, 10:41 PM   #1
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Anyone running crankcase exhaust scavenge?

Curious since a lot of use are catless on a N/A high revving motor susceptible to excess blowby which is prime for this type of system.

Basically just shoot the oil/vapor slurry straight into the exhaust instead of recirculating it into the intake. Seems popular in the corvette and audi communities. Downsides include a little smoke at WOT which is really not too concerning since im catless and tuned already. Claimed upsides are cleaner intake tract, no maintenance like an OCC, and more available vacuum at all RPMs.

There are some nice kits out there that basically consist of a bung to be welded in post-collector, an angle cut threaded fitting, and some check valves.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-25900

Now, since I'm tuned my assumption is the primary 02 sensors are just there to keep exhaust from flowing out of the bungs. What I'm wondering about is perhaps a fitting like this plugging directly into my primary 02 bungs so no welding would be required. Is the angle of the fitting going to be too perpendicular to properly scavenge?

Anyone have any feedback or experience here?

resources:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...on-system.html
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...harger-m5.html
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ion-to-exhaust
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...f-exhaust-evac

Last edited by Shredicus; 04-23-2015 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 06:22 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Yes, has to be angled. You can buy angled bungs for this purpose.

I have run one of these on my turbo E36M3, but it makes over 600 rwhp so there is a lot more crankcase pressure to evacuate. The turbo and the centrifugal I ran previously tended to suck the crankcase hard enough that the intake tract would be coated with oil. I used the Vibrant fittings with a check valve and -10 hose. It seemed to work OK.

I am not sure how much vacuum was created in the exhaust. I have a big single 3.5 inch and obviously no headers, just a turbo manifold and then turbo. Some other people had issues and rigged up various vacuum pumps to assist. I am now back to a catch can with filter on top.

Have not thought about this for my E90M3 because I don't perceive any issues with the stock system. Maybe if I was supercharged I would consider it further.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 08:04 AM   #3
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Just remove the pipe going into the intake and run into a catch can. I like the header weld on setups but at our setups Imo it's overkill
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #4
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Yes, has to be angled. You can buy angled bungs for this purpose.

I have run one of these on my turbo E36M3, but it makes over 600 rwhp so there is a lot more crankcase pressure to evacuate. The turbo and the centrifugal I ran previously tended to suck the crankcase hard enough that the intake tract would be coated with oil. I used the Vibrant fittings with a check valve and -10 hose. It seemed to work OK.

I am not sure how much vacuum was created in the exhaust. I have a big single 3.5 inch and obviously no headers, just a turbo manifold and then turbo. Some other people had issues and rigged up various vacuum pumps to assist. I am now back to a catch can with filter on top.

Have not thought about this for my E90M3 because I don't perceive any issues with the stock system. Maybe if I was supercharged I would consider it further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Just remove the pipe going into the intake and run into a catch can. I like the header weld on setups but at our setups Imo it's overkill
Now maybe in my limited understanding from what I've read I'm not observing something correctly, but shouldn't this setup have just as significant of a benefit on a N/A application as F/I? Our cars rev high enough to really draw some major vacuum, we have plenty of documented oil consumption, and the whole idea of injecting octane-lowering oil vapor back into the intake tracts for the sake of emissions compliance seems a bit farcical considering im completely catless.

Is there no benefit in pursuing this? I'm surprised to see so few running catch cans here so I guess this is probably too fringe. I've also considered a mann provent 200 for a OCC.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 06:45 PM   #5
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Not so much vacuum in the exhaust most of the time during normal driving for the crankcase exhaust evap. However there is plenty of vacuum in the intake.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #6
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post
Now, since I'm tuned my assumption is the primary 02 sensors are just there to keep exhaust from flowing out of the bungs.
Um what?