BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

04-22-2015, 03:26 PM   #1
andrewkd16
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E92

Ess vt2 625 and oil question?

Hello everyone I do not want to mislead anyone by the title of my thread nor did I want to start another oil debate thread but I do have a question about oil and the ESS supercharger. So for starters I am on the BMW 100000 mile maintenance plan but I am out of warranty because I'm just over 50,000 miles. At this point I know I can choose whatever oil I wish to put in my car since I have no warranty. Just a week ago I went in for an oil change and realized after I left that BMW has switched to a Shell Oil and no longer uses the Castrol TWS recommended oil.

I drove the car around and right off the bat I can sort of tell my car is running slightly warmer or slightly closer to the 210 mark, so I thought maybe it's just because it's fresh oil and a little hotter outside. A couple days later after sitting in traffic and getting on the gas a couple times I just notice that the car runs a slight bit warmer, unless you're moving and driving normal. There was one time where I would say I got the vehicles oil temp to about 230 and with the TWS oil I never reach that point. I would barely go over 210 driving hard. As soon as I got home after getting my car to the warmest point I had ever reached I found out that they have switched oils. I've come to conclude that is why I'm possibly running around the 210 mark and not below.

Here's another fun fact I just got the ESS 625 kit the tune and the DCT software. I plan on doing the install this weekend but to get to my question what oil should I use now that my car will be supercharged. I already know I don't really want to this new shell oil. I would go back to the TWS before using this new shell oil. I would only guess if my car is running slightly warmer than normal if supercharge it, it will definitely be running warmer. So to the people who have superchargers on their car what oil are you using or what oil do you see working best by keeping temp down with all the added ponies.

Last edited by andrewkd16; 04-23-2015 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Paragraphs, use them.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
i just had my oil changed last saturday and my tech used the new shell. i can't tell if it's resulting in higher temps. what i do recommend is that when you do your install, make sure you place the intercooler as far forward as possible so that it's not too close to the oil cooler. i see you're in GA, around here the temps have peaked a couple of times in the high 80s. it's just the nature of the car to run hot oil if you are in stop and go traffic. as long as it doesn't go too far passed the 210 mark i wouldn't worry. many members track their car and use the 'next' dot as an indicator of hot oil temps and start cool down laps (at least from what i've read on threads). i highly recommend an awron or p3 gauge to monitor water temps/boost and aitemps. my next project is to wire in an oil temp sensor to my p3. the blockage of the oil cooler by the intercooler is a concern for me, but i have to live with it until i find an alternative.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewkd16 View Post
hello everyone I do not want to mislead anyone by the title of my thread nor did I want to start another oil debate thread but I do have a question about oil and the ESS supercharger. so for starters I am on the BMW 100000 mile maintenance plan but I am out of warranty because I'm just over 50,000 miles so at this point I know I can choose whatever oil I wish to put in my car since I have no warranty. just a week ago I went in for an oil change and realized after I left that BMW has switched to a Shell Oil and no longer uses the Castrol TWS recommended oil. so I drove the car around and right off the bat I can sort of tell my car is running slightly warmer or slightly closer to the 210 mark so I thought maybe it's just because it's fresh oil and a little hotter outside. a couple days later after sitting in traffic getting on the gas a couple times I just notice that the car runs a slight bit warmer unless you're moving and driving normal. there was one time where I would say I got the vehicles oil temp to about 230 and with the TWS oil I never reach that point I would barely go over 210 driving hard. so as soon as I got home after getting my car to the warmest point i had ever reached I found out that they have switched oils so I've come to conclude that is why I'm possibly running around the 210 mark and not below. so here's another fun fact I just got the ESS 625 kit the tune and the DCT software. I plan on doing the install this weekend but to get to my question what oil should I use now that my car will be supercharged. I already know I don't really want to this new shell oil. I would go back to the TWS before using this new shell oil. because I would only guess if my car is running slightly warmer than normal. If I supercharge it it will definitely be running warmer. So to the people who have superchargers on their car what oil are you using or what oil do you see working best by keeping temp down with all the added ponies.
That's really hard to read man, but I'll answer your question about the blower kit.

Personally, due to the bearing issues, I'd run Mobil1 0W40 oil when supercharged. The blower is already putting extra strain onto the bearings. I switched before installing my VF540 kit and can attest to the change in blackstone oil readings. My wear levels went from moderate lead to below average and has remained that way for the past 10k miles and 3 oil changes. I've never had any oil temperature issues, it usually hovers in the 200-210 range even on warm days as it should. This is also after I installed a custom A/W IC core into the VF manifold and added a ESS heat exchanger.
      04-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #5
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
That's really hard to read man, but I'll answer your question about the blower kit.

Personally, due to the bearing issues, I'd run Mobil1 0W40 oil when supercharged. The blower is already putting extra strain onto the bearings. I switched before installing my VF540 kit and can attest to the change in blackstone oil readings. My wear levels went from moderate lead to below average and has remained that way for the past 10k miles and 3 oil changes. I've never had any oil temperature issues, it usually hovers in the 200-210 range even on warm days as it should. This is also after I installed a custom A/W IC core into the VF manifold and added a ESS heat exchanger.
Care to PM on details regarding adding the ESS heat exchanged? Very interested.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #6
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
I use TWS myself, I live in the south and with the 625 kit it only goes a bit over 220 when im stuck in traffic. If you live in cold climate I could see using the 10w 40
I would replace bearings if your putting on a Blower, I did and saved my engine a nice explosion. They were already to copper at 30k and had no idea.

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 07:35 PM   #7
andrewkd16
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'll probably do mobil1 that's what I planned on and if couse plan on rib bearings probably will go with ess ones
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 07:43 PM   #8
andrewkd16
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry about the big paragraph. I was using the talk to text phone option when I posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #9
andrewkd16
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm guessing ess rod bearings would be ok to replace oem with correct? Would anyone do more if they are already at this point and far into the motor?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #10
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewkd16 View Post
I'm guessing ess rod bearings would be ok to replace oem with correct? Would anyone do more if they are already at this point and far into the motor?
Normally I'd say yes, but I think the new Clevite bearings are due for release soon. They supposedly fix the problem by actually altering the clearance. Putting in OEM bearings would just kick the can down the road so to speak.
      04-25-2015, 11:37 PM   #11
andrewkd16
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well maybe I will go with these new ones is there a firm day of release?
Appreciate 0