BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #1
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Few pics of Updated ESS Kit

Wanted to throw a few pics of the Gen 2 ESS bracket etc out there. This kit started out as a 625 and right off the bat went to a 650. Will explain that shortly.
Excuse the pollen, it will about choke you out right now in NC
The bulk of the kit is all the same as before, improvements are better designed bracket and easy to get to drain line for changing SC oil. The newer 96mm pulley has a flange on the outside of the rib to keep the belt from walking off the pulley. Not sure how this would happen unless the wrong belt was used but it is a nice addition. The pulley on the car now is a 94 so it is the older style. The pulley has been lightened because absolutely no reason for it to be as heavy as it is stock.
The plastic airbox is pretty much touching the inner fender. It is not a problem but also not what I would want to see. Comes stock with the newer recirc race valve but it is too small for the 625 in my opinion. Not sure if it is a combo of the recirc hose and valve or just the valve itself but 6k+ throttle it will compressor surge like crazy. It is not good for the SC to do that so went to the maxflo valve and it fixed the problem. It did add more noise but blocking off the drivers side vent with some fuel cell foam cut it to very tolerable level and with windows up just about dont notice.
Was not a fan of the manifold mounted IC reservoir so made a new one that holds 5 times the fluid and is heat shielded along with the IC hoses. It mounts to the passenger fender to get it off the engine.

Now why I went from the 625 to the 650 right off the bat. This new kit comes with the black 124 injectors. These are 36lb ev14 injectors.
Want to say this up front, this is not a knock on ESS its just my observation from data logs with MY car. Frankly they are too small for my car with the 625 kit. When the SC was installed new plugs, o2 sensors, coils and exhaust gaskets were installed at the same time so as to not have to chase something 2 months after install. Using 2 different loggers the actual lambda readings were trailing lean relative to the commanded numbers after 7500. Upon further investigation it was observed that the fuel pressure was trailing off also down to about 60psi after that same 73 to 7500 number. I figured ok the fuel pump is tired. Lord knows how many times I ran the car down to about empty over the years. Replaced both the pump and transfer system with new oem parts and although it would hold 75+ psi (5 bar)now it was still trailing lean up to right at .89 lambda. Thats about 13:1 and too lean. So went back to the before and after logs with the new fuel pump and the injector duty cycle was 95%. That is too high because bosch injectors start losing control at those numbers. So even with the new fuel pump it was much better but would still trail pressure off at high rpm. This is due to the injector being too small. I know that sounds off but fuel pressure can go down due to the length of time it is spraying relative to the valve numbers/engine speed.
So on my car the 124 injectors are not big enough even for the 625 kit. Duty cycle should stay at about 80 to 85% max if they are sized correctly.
With that I went to the 42lb Green ev6 injector. Granted technology wise the ev14 is better but that is what I chose. I custom machined the injectors to fit with no spacers so the tip protrudes into the intake tract like the ev14 do. This also meant I had to pay for another tune. At this time I chose to go ahead and do the 94mm 650 pulley while at it. Mike at BPM did the tune for the 42lb injectors and all has been good ever since. The 650 pulley with 42lb injectors is 83% duty cycle at 8k and 45 degrees air temp. (That number matters because the colder it is the higher the duty cycle). Wont relay timing numbers out of respect for Mike and BPM
Not sure if my x-pipe setup may be changing the fueling requirements or what was going on.
Anyway it runs great, also did the solid subframe and poly diff bushings while at it.
The last 2 pictures are how I received the manifold from ESS,
1- There was tape left over and coating sprayed on the surface where the o-ring seals the stack. It is not a huge deal but it was fully assembled that way. I always check others work before install and glad I did because the 2nd picture is completely unacceptable. The interior of the manifold was full of glass-bead from when they blasted it before the black coating went on. Glass-bead will score the shit out of cylinder walls and can lead to bearing failure. Maybe it is a 1 off problem but the qc process should of caught it. Also the oring groove on the back of the manifold was cut witht he wrong cutter. They should use a dovetail style cutter to capture the oring. A flat bottom end mill was used and the oring just falls right out. Because the groove is now too wide it also doesnt compress the oring correctly. Ended up using a different oring with 832 silicone to make sure it did not start leaking boost.
Couple small things. Replaced all the bolts in the sc bracket with 12pt ARP stainless along with the pulley bolt and also made a custom stainless washer for the pulley. They are standard thread, 3/8-16 for bracket and 3/8-24 for pulley. The SC was clocked wrong from ESS. Could very well be it was clocked for the older bracket but the outlet was about 45 degrees in the air from them. Had to take the sc unit back off the bracket and rotate it. Under side of manifold has been heat shielded also and Silicone hoses were used for the vacuum lines instead of rubber. Fuel lines have been heat shielded, still need to do the rail just did not have the motivation lately LOL
Attached Images

Last edited by kawasaki00; 05-01-2019 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 5
SAMM3Y3085.00
jcolley377.50
Iyzmi802.00
aus889.50
      04-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #2
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Interesting you have the fuel rail heat wrapped. I get the gist being a non-return system, but have you ever seen/heard of hot-restart problems on these?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #3
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolley View Post
Interesting you have the fuel rail heat wrapped. I get the gist being a non-return system, but have you ever seen/heard of hot-restart problems on these?
No not necessarily. Engine bay heat still soaks the metal lines and heats the fuel though. It was really done just because had a bunch of the sleeve laying around. It may not make a ton of difference but it definitely doesn't hurt.
      04-25-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
No not necessarily. Engine bay heat still soaks the metal lines and heats the fuel though. It was really done just because had a bunch of the sleeve laying around. It may not make a ton of difference but it definitely doesn't hurt.
Fair enough. mss60 doesn't measure fuel temp for injection quantity compensation either, so not a bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #5
Deebo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 ZCP

Very nice write up. Do you have any feedback on IATs with the IC tank under the hood? I know the trunk mounted 5 gallon setup works great, just sucks to take up that much space.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 10:02 AM   #6
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Dang bud, it's good hearing from you. Great to see your car has come a long way since I picked up the front tires from you. When do I get a ride?
Hope all is well
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:17 AM   #7
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

I'm surprised this thread isn't getting more attention. I would think more people would be concerned about the black 124 injectors being too small for the 625 kit. I wonder why ESS switched to these in the first place. AJ even told me it would be fine to run the 94mm pulley with these.
      04-29-2019, 05:57 PM   #8
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

Thanks for the pics! Interested in the coolant tank your running.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:00 PM   #9
dozaiya
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 MW E92 M3

this feels like a step back instead of gen 2
i think i read somewhere that rumored gen 2 to be air to air, waaaaay off
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 07:09 AM   #10
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Very nice write up. Do you have any feedback on IATs with the IC tank under the hood? I know the trunk mounted 5 gallon setup works great, just sucks to take up that much space.
Working on some logging now that it is getting warmer out. Will report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Dang bud, it's good hearing from you. Great to see your car has come a long way since I picked up the front tires from you. When do I get a ride?
Hope all is well
Anytime brother. I am still in Charlotte for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
I'm surprised this thread isn't getting more attention. I would think more people would be concerned about the black 124 injectors being too small for the 625 kit. I wonder why ESS switched to these in the first place. AJ even told me it would be fine to run the 94mm pulley with these.
Yea the funny part is I have a email specifically stating it is NOT ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozaiya View Post
this feels like a step back instead of gen 2
i think i read somewhere that rumored gen 2 to be air to air, waaaaay off
I agree and may not be technically a gen 2 kit it is more of a updated kit could say.
The rotrex and air to air would be better but it would also push the cost right up with the AA unit, much more expensive.
      04-30-2019, 01:18 PM   #11
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Yea the funny part is I have a email specifically stating it is NOT ok.
I'm not surprised. Getting straight answers out of AJ is like pulling teeth. He told me "the 124 injectors and 625 software will support 94mm on 93AKI. For 91AKI use 96.5m."

Clearly your testing proves otherwise...
      04-30-2019, 04:10 PM   #12
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

So is ess gonna make the rotrex set up or is that scrapped and this is the new gen 2?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 04:47 PM   #13
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
So is ess gonna make the rotrex set up or is that scrapped and this is the new gen 2?
this is not the Gen 2 kit. It's a Gen 2 bracket

Gen 2 kit is not released
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 04:52 PM   #14
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
No plans for rotrex, not sure where that came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
this is not the Gen 2 kit. It's a Gen 2 bracket

Gen 2 kit is not released
It's a revised bracket. Components are constantly being changed/upgraded.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11475.50
      04-30-2019, 05:49 PM   #15
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Hey tom @ eas was the bracket revised because of fracturing around the thin bit on the original?
      04-30-2019, 05:55 PM   #16
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
No plans for rotrex, not sure where that came from.

So what's the official info for gen 2 and how does it differ from the predecessor?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 06:06 PM   #17
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Hey tom @ eas was the bracket revised because of fracturing around the thin bit on the original?
We've installed a ton of kits (including 3 of our own M3s), never once seen any bracket fatigue or failure.

Quote:
So what's the official info for gen 2 and how does it differ from the predecessor?
A separate thread will be started when closer to release.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 02:44 PM   #18
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Hi Tom,

I have ESS 625 fitted to my car. If I wanted the revised bracket could I buy that separately from ESS and how much trouble would it be to change it?

I know you state later that there have been no failures of the existing bracket but they must have revised it for a reason so if it’s possible and not too expensive I’d like to do it...

Jack
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 02:49 PM   #19
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
Hi Tom,

I have ESS 625 fitted to my car. If I wanted the revised bracket could I buy that separately from ESS and how much trouble would it be to change it?

I know you state later that there have been no failures of the existing bracket but they must have revised it for a reason so if it’s possible and not too expensive I’d like to do it...

Jack
PM incoming.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #20
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Updated thread title over confusion.
      06-26-2019, 06:29 PM   #21
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Wanted to throw a few pics of the Gen 2 ESS bracket etc out there. This kit started out as a 625 and right off the bat went to a 650. Will explain that shortly.
Excuse the pollen, it will about choke you out right now in NC
The bulk of the kit is all the same as before, improvements are better designed bracket and easy to get to drain line for changing SC oil. The newer 96mm pulley has a flange on the outside of the rib to keep the belt from walking off the pulley. Not sure how this would happen unless the wrong belt was used but it is a nice addition. The pulley on the car now is a 94 so it is the older style. The pulley has been lightened because absolutely no reason for it to be as heavy as it is stock.
The plastic airbox is pretty much touching the inner fender. It is not a problem but also not what I would want to see. Comes stock with the newer recirc race valve but it is too small for the 625 in my opinion. Not sure if it is a combo of the recirc hose and valve or just the valve itself but 6k+ throttle it will compressor surge like crazy. It is not good for the SC to do that so went to the maxflo valve and it fixed the problem. It did add more noise but blocking off the drivers side vent with some fuel cell foam cut it to very tolerable level and with windows up just about dont notice.
Was not a fan of the manifold mounted IC reservoir so made a new one that holds 5 times the fluid and is heat shielded along with the IC hoses. It mounts to the passenger fender to get it off the engine.

Now why I went from the 625 to the 650 right off the bat. This new kit comes with the black 124 injectors. These are 36lb ev14 injectors.
Want to say this up front, this is not a knock on ESS its just my observation from data logs with MY car. Frankly they are too small for my car with the 625 kit. When the SC was installed new plugs, o2 sensors, coils and exhaust gaskets were installed at the same time so as to not have to chase something 2 months after install. Using 2 different loggers the actual lambda readings were trailing lean relative to the commanded numbers after 7500. Upon further investigation it was observed that the fuel pressure was trailing off also down to about 60psi after that same 73 to 7500 number. I figured ok the fuel pump is tired. Lord knows how many times I ran the car down to about empty over the years. Replaced both the pump and transfer system with new oem parts and although it would hold 75+ psi (5 bar)now it was still trailing lean up to right at .89 lambda. Thats about 13:1 and too lean. So went back to the before and after logs with the new fuel pump and the injector duty cycle was 95%. That is too high because bosch injectors start losing control at those numbers. So even with the new fuel pump it was much better but would still trail pressure off at high rpm. This is due to the injector being too small. I know that sounds off but fuel pressure can go down due to the length of time it is spraying relative to the valve numbers/engine speed.
So on my car the 124 injectors are not big enough even for the 625 kit. Duty cycle should stay at about 80 to 85% max if they are sized correctly.
With that I went to the 42lb Green ev6 injector. Granted technology wise the ev14 is better but that is what I chose. I custom machined the injectors to fit with no spacers so the tip protrudes into the intake tract like the ev14 do. This also meant I had to pay for another tune. At this time I chose to go ahead and do the 94mm 650 pulley while at it. Mike at BPM did the tune for the 42lb injectors and all has been good ever since. The 650 pulley with 42lb injectors is 83% duty cycle at 8k and 45 degrees air temp. (That number matters because the colder it is the higher the duty cycle). Wont relay timing numbers out of respect for Mike and BPM
Not sure if my x-pipe setup may be changing the fueling requirements or what was going on.
Anyway it runs great, also did the solid subframe and poly diff bushings while at it.
The last 2 pictures are how I received the manifold from ESS,
1- There was tape left over and coating sprayed on the surface where the o-ring seals the stack. It is not a huge deal but it was fully assembled that way. I always check others work before install and glad I did because the 2nd picture is completely unacceptable. The interior of the manifold was full of glass-bead from when they blasted it before the black coating went on. Glass-bead will score the shit out of cylinder walls and can lead to bearing failure. Maybe it is a 1 off problem but the qc process should of caught it. Also the oring groove on the back of the manifold was cut witht he wrong cutter. They should use a dovetail style cutter to capture the oring. A flat bottom end mill was used and the oring just falls right out. Because the groove is now too wide it also doesnt compress the oring correctly. Ended up using a different oring with 832 silicone to make sure it did not start leaking boost.
Couple small things. Replaced all the bolts in the sc bracket with 12pt ARP stainless along with the pulley bolt and also made a custom stainless washer for the pulley. They are standard thread, 3/8-16 for bracket and 3/8-24 for pulley. The SC was clocked wrong from ESS. Could very well be it was clocked for the older bracket but the outlet was about 45 degrees in the air from them. Had to take the sc unit back off the bracket and rotate it. Under side of manifold has been heat shielded also and Silicone hoses were used for the vacuum lines instead of rubber. Fuel lines have been heat shielded, still need to do the rail just did not have the motivation lately LOL
Your set up looks awesome man. Are the running the 7pk pulley? If so, what other pulleys did you change with it?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 02:07 AM   #22
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Updated thread title over confusion.
Kit looks great. I looked at the pics again and saw its a 6pk 94mm pulley you have. How is the boost with that pulley? Im good with the stock 595 pulley for now, but am curious to how yours is running. I also just did rod bearings and a new set of Ohlins R&T. Trying to balance the car more now.
Appreciate 0