BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

01-26-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
Special_K
Assistant to the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Adjustable and Chassis-mounted front splitter options?

After hours of searching I can only find the OEM GTS one thru IND for like $4K+

Other than buying the components separately (lip + splitter) and finding a shop to fab the chassis mounts and make it length adjustable (guessing not easy), are there any other options you guys have found?

I want to run the GT4 mkII wing (à la Lukester), which is also adjustable so I like the idea of 1) having one or two front settings to balance rear on track, and 2) provide some rub protection while street driving (retracting splitter to line up with lip)

Car is dual duty, I'm basically going for an M3 'GT3' build

Any guidance is appreciated!
      01-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

People should come up with plenty of options for you. There are many besides the OEM GTS splitter
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #3
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
@HARDmotorsport might have a solution for you.

I run the kit now but my oil cooler is relocated.
      01-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
Special_K
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
@HARDmotorsport might have a solution for you.

I run the kit now but my oil cooler is relocated.
Awesome recommendation and they are in my backyard. How did I not know about them!? Will reach out to them.
      01-26-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
Special_K
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
People should come up with plenty of options for you. There are many besides the OEM GTS splitter
For those who are running a chassis mount splitter, can you comment on which brand/model you went with and who fabbed the pieces?
      01-26-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i bought the hard motorsport mount a while back, but was told it wouldn't fit right because of the routing of the oil cooler lines. i sent it back without even mocking it up.
      01-27-2018, 09:13 PM   #7
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_K View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
For those who are running a chassis mount splitter, can you comment on which brand/model you went with and who fabbed the pieces?
Chassis mount should be easily done by any shop near you with some aluminum brackets.

xchosun1x has a gt4 wing and chassis mounted splitter. He could possibly help in here?
      01-27-2018, 09:14 PM   #8
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

As far as the adjustable piece. This is what I found.

One base aluminum bracket on fixed splitter with bottom piece that can be said back and forth (grooves instead of holes for screw).
Attached Images

01-28-2018, 03:58 AM   #9
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

i've handled an oem gts lip in person and observed it on the car. pretty sturdy. i'm surprised it hasn't been replicated yet.
      01-29-2018, 05:56 PM   #10
Special_K
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
As far as the adjustable piece. This is what I found.

One base aluminum bracket on fixed splitter with bottom piece that can be said back and forth (grooves instead of holes for screw).

Yea, same one I found although that pic looks slightly different but I believe it's the OEM GTS...
      01-29-2018, 06:01 PM   #11
Special_K
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i've handled an oem gts lip in person and observed it on the car. pretty sturdy. i'm surprised it hasn't been replicated yet.
My thoughts exactly, still surprised bimmerworld or a similar vendor hasn't created something. If you kept it FRP material should be relatively low cost if mass produced.

My challenge would be asking the shop to create something from scratch and I'm fairly certain they'd need to remove the bumper and look at the attachment points before they could even give me an estimate
      01-30-2018, 03:46 PM   #12
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_K View Post
Quote:
My thoughts exactly, still surprised bimmerworld or a similar vendor hasn't created something. If you kept it FRP material should be relatively low cost if mass produced.

My challenge would be asking the shop to create something from scratch and I'm fairly certain they'd need to remove the bumper and look at the attachment points before they could even give me an estimate
Aluminum L bars are pretty cheap at Home Depot?
      01-30-2018, 08:07 PM   #13
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

i'm leery about making a multi-piece metal splitter support... i don't want it coming off and creating a hazard to other drivers.
      06-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #14
Shmelgy
B.E.
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 1969 Mustang Fastback

Quote:
i bought the hard motorsport mount a while back, but was told it wouldn't fit right because of the routing of the oil cooler lines. i sent it back without even mocking it up.
Just spoke to hard, they said it has been redesigned to work with stock lines. Order placed and I'll update you guys when it arrives
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11581.50
      06-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #15
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmelgy View Post
Quote:
Just spoke to hard, they said it has been redesigned to work with stock lines. Order placed and I'll update you guys when it arrives
Please do!
      06-11-2018, 02:30 AM   #16
Shmelgy
B.E.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Please do!
Ok so I got around to installing the chassis mounts today. They clear all lines fine and actually weren't too hard to install. Ran out of time and light to install the splitter, but I was able to mount the lip to the bumper and cut the rough shape of the splitter. I'll update you guys once I finish up and try to stand on the front of the splitter to see if it holds my weight
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
roastbeef11581.50
      06-11-2018, 03:13 AM   #17
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok so I got around to installing the chassis mounts today. They clear all lines fine and actually weren't too hard to install. Ran out of time and light to install the splitter, but I was able to mount the lip to the bumper and cut the rough shape of the splitter. I'll update you guys once I finish up and try to stand on the front of the splitter to see if it holds my weight
looks good. do they replace those wire hangers that connect to the felt? i was thinking of using those as a "hard" mounting device and using washers as spacers to get the splitter/etc., to sit flush with the felt.
i have a gt4 style lip now, but i still might sandwich it with something for more rigidity. it is getting pulled down a little bit.
thanks for posting pics of the hard mounts.
      06-11-2018, 03:25 AM   #18
Shmelgy
B.E.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
looks good. do they replace those wire hangers that connect to the felt? i was thinking of using those as a "hard" mounting device and using washers as spacers to get the splitter/etc., to sit flush with the felt.
i have a gt4 style lip now, but i still might sandwich it with something for more rigidity. it is getting pulled down a little bit.
thanks for posting pics of the hard mounts.
When I put the car back together, I'm not going to include the two annoying ass felt pieces, or the middle piece (since the splitter will be covering all that anyways.) Just going to put the fender liners back.

I was thinking about using the hangers as another mounting point for the splitter but kind of destroyed the driver's side one accidentally. I haven't tightened up the bolts yet so can't comment on how rigid the mounts are, but I'll be reinforcing the splitter some more (will include pics)
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11581.50
      06-11-2018, 03:41 AM   #19
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

yea, i figured you would be getting rid of the felt with that splitter design. are you just tracing it out for APR to build a custom one?
since you aren't doing the side felt pieces, are you going to attach the fender liners to the splitter with some L brackets or something?
ecs has those cables for about $40 each.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/51758044393/

i'm interested in your project... keep us posted!
      06-11-2018, 03:51 AM   #20
Shmelgy
B.E.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yea, i figured you would be getting rid of the felt with that splitter design. are you just tracing it out for APR to build a custom one?
since you aren't doing the side felt pieces, are you going to attach the fender liners to the splitter with some L brackets or something?
ecs has those cables for about $40 each.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/51758044393/

i'm interested in your project... keep us posted!
Thanks man. I'm going to try and test out the splitter as plywood first, then possibly use the template to make one out of alumalite. If it holds up nicely though, might as well just stick with it. I've seen legit race teams use it and it's hard to beat at $18 for a big slab of 3/8 thick plywood.

Haven't decided on the liner connection yet but I bought some L brackets just in case. We'll see tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 04:06 AM   #21
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

the only reluctance i would have with the wood is the weight... but its probably not as terrible as i'm imagining.
are you going to do some support rods as well?

i'm thinking about tracing out something that goes from the wire hangers that extends diagonally to the front support rods. i'd probably extend the rods and drill into the carbon accident bar that is right above where i originally attached the rods to the bumper for more rigidity. the gt4 lip is "just ok" on its own. ideally, it needs some help keeping it from flexing.
      06-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #22
jid2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP

You might consider real plywood as opposed to OSB. The strength is not the same with OSB due to the short fiber length, it also weights more with higher resin percentage. Alumalite as you mention is probably the best bang for the buck on strength vs weight vs cost.
2012 E92 M3 ZCP MCS 2WR coilovers 600F/900R, Performance Friction ZF54 front BBK, stainless lines, Ferodo DS 2500 rear pads, Hotchkins F/R swaybars, solid subframe mounts, BE Bearings, ARP rod bolts, Bimmerworld motor mounts, AFe intake, underdrive, CSF radiator, GT4 front lip (ebay), APR GT 500, ebay side skirts, RaceEng tug, 15mm/10mm spacers on ZCP wheels, Apex ARC 8 18x10 square track wheels with Pirelli 265 DH slicks
Appreciate 0