BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

03-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #45
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Since, as far as I can tell, no one ever answered your actual question (I could be wrong), here goes:

Without IDrive, with respect to MDrive and the M Button, you lose:

a) Sport Plus Power - this setting is not available via the Power button on the console, so you won't have it at all. Therefore, only Sport and Normal Power settings are accessible to you. Note that Sport Plus Power is arguably of limited value. Please search the forum, however, to read up on varying opinions of this so you know what you are getting into. IMHO: Don't sweat it - you'd rarely use it anyway.

b) Ability to set DSC OFF to M Button - you can still turn DSC off via the console button. However you will not be able to set it to the M Button. Instead, your M Button will be hardcoded to MDM mode. This is actually completely fine - most people set MDM mode to the M Button anyway. And like I say, you can still turn DSC off, it just means pressing and holding the Button on the console instead of using the M Button.

c) Ability to set Servotronic "Normal" to the M Button - Your M Button will be hardcoded to Servotronic "Sport". Again, this is perfectly acceptable since most people do this anyway.

So let me summarize how to access all possible combinations for a car with no IDrive, no EDC, and no DCT:

a) DSC ON, Normal Power, Normal Servotronic: Default, just start the car
b) DSC OFF, Normal Power, Normal Servotronic: As b) above, but then hold down DSC Button
c) DSC MDM, Normal Power, Normal Servotronic: Not possible - MDM and Sport Servotronic come either together or not at all

d) DSC ON, Sport Power, Normal Servotronic: Hit Power Button (unless car was already in Sport Power mode, which by the way is remembered across restarts)
e) DSC OFF, Sport Power, Normal Servotronic: Hold Down DSC button. Then hit Power button once (again, unless car was already in Sport Power mode)
f) DSC MDM, Sport Power, Normal Servotronic: same as C (not possible).

g) DSC ON, Normal Power, Sport Servotronic: Hit M button. Turn DSC back on via console button. Put Power into Normal mode via console button.
h) DSC OFF, Normal Power, Sport Servotronic: Hit M button. Turn DSC off via holding down console button. Put Power into Normal mode via console button.
i) DSC MDM, Normal Power, Sport Servotronic: Hit M button. Hit Power button. Alternatively, you can actually set Normal Power to the M Button permanently by holding the M Button down when the car is in Normal Power mode. Useful for making the M Button a "track button" where you want MDM and Sport steering, but where the Sport Power might make throttle too twitchy.

j) DSC ON, Sport Power, Sport Servotronic: Hit M Button. Turn DSC back ON (out of MDM mode) via the console button.
k) DSC OFF, Sport Power, Sport Servotronic: Hit M Button. Hold down DSC button on console to turn DSC off.
l) DSC MDM, Sport Power, Sport Servotronic: Hit M Button.
Excellent. Thanks!!!

I think I'd spend 95% of my time between a) and l). Easy enough - hit M-button.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #46
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Wow, thread complete!
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #47
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

Why would you want to buy a 60k+ car without all the options????
      03-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #48
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fool View Post
Or another way to say this is why would you spend $60K on a car and not spec it the way YOU want it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #49
scottEdog1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

I love iDrive, and thought I also didn't need it. I am soooooo glad I got it though so glad!!
      03-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #50
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Why would you turn a $60k car into a $70k car with pointless options? Just cause you can?
      03-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #51
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

You guys who want all options just for the sake of completeness have probably never looked at a loaded C2 or C2S price, eh? Sure, I'll go spend more than a GT3 RS on a loaded C2S. Great idea.

Also, how much more weight does a loaded M3 carry than a stripped one? It's got to be at least 150 lbs. DCT alone is 50 lbs. or so. Now, how many people that complain about weight gain in modern cars are also buying cars with every option or nearly every option? The answer is a lot more than "none", and probably close half based on observations of how many people spec their cars loaded on this forum.

It's a simple trade off, really. More luxury = more $$$ and more lbs.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #52
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Originally Posted by Rshane
Whatever decısıon you make, be sure ıt ıs exactly what everyone wants you to do...otherwıse you aren´t a true enthusıaıst.

Too many dıfferıng opınıons on thıs sıte...and way too much overly aggessıve attıtudes to be able to make an ınformed decısıon here.

I lıke the I-drıve...ıt gıves me more optıons of what I can do. IMO ıt ıs better to have optıons, even ıf you don´t ıntend to use them too often, than to not have the optıons at all.

If I were ın your shoes I would try to read up on everythıng ıDrıve has to offer...Nav, easıer access to your ınfotaınment stuff, etc. Then go from there. The M3 ıs an expensıve purchase, so make sure you get exactly what you want.

As far as all the 'you wıll crash your car' comments, well lıke everythıng else, use common sense. Same goes for talkıng on cell phones, puttıng on make-up, etc. Lots of ıdıots out there (many seem to congregate on BMW websıtes), so be careful.
lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
lulz

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #53
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3
I just ordered my second e92 m3 without iDrive. Totally unnecessary. I got zcp so I'll have all sport modes and edc. I hate iDrive the double hump and screen is annoying to me and unnecessary. I have GPS on my iPhone if I really really need it, which I almost never do. I find it's easier to control my my music through my phone as an interface plugging it in through the aux jack. I still have bluetooth for handsfree calling. I just don't see the need to scroll through menu screens to control something on the car when there's a mechanical button that already does it. This time, now that power seats aren't included I didn't get them either. What's the difference if I pull a lever or push a button to move my seat. I think the interior looks much cleaner without iDrive.

+1 Bingo

If the M button wasn't standard I would buying the Idrive, but honestly I dont see the need with it standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muwarrior07 View Post
+1 Bingo

If the M button wasn't standard I would buying the Idrive, but honestly I dont see the need with it standard.
+ 100

I have the Manual, smooth sexy leather seats and the 19 inch wheels whatever that adds to it all suspension etc. etc. Special entertainment system. Oh yes and the 414 horses under the hood.

Then there is the on board computer for setting things up. That is all one needs for fun driving, it is a lot more then I had in my e46 ///M3 from 2002.

It will do me just fine thank you and should I ever get lost I have my TomTom to take me home love that sexy ladies voice

Cheers

Rolf-Dieter

PS. Besides Apple comes up with new tricks all the time soon we be able to relax in the back seat and drive the car around the track at high speeds directing the fun from our iPhone or iPot Touch

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 03-07-2011 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #54
1MORELAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 GTS '19 X3, X5, X7

Quote:
Since, as far as I can tell, no one ever answered your actual question (I could be wrong), here goes:

Without IDrive, with respect to MDrive and the M Button, you lose:

a) Sport Plus Power - this setting is not available via the Power button on the console, so you won't have it at all. Therefore, only Sport and Normal Power settings are accessible to you. Note that Sport Plus Power is arguably of limited value. Please search the forum, however, to read up on varying opinions of this so you know what you are getting into. IMHO: Don't sweat it - you'd rarely use it anyway.

b) Ability to set DSC OFF to M Button - you can still turn DSC off via the console button. However you will not be able to set it to the M Button. Instead, your M Button will be hardcoded to MDM mode. This is actually completely fine - most people set MDM mode to the M Button anyway. And like I say, you can still turn DSC off, it just means pressing and holding the Button on the console instead of using the M Button.

c) Ability to set Servotronic "Normal" to the M Button - Your M Button will be hardcoded to Servotronic "Sport". Again, this is perfectly acceptable since most people do this anyway.

So let me summarize how to access all possible combinations for a car with no IDrive, no EDC, and no DCT:

a) DSC ON, Normal Power, Normal Servotronic: Default, just start the car
b) DSC OFF, Normal Power, Normal Servotronic: As b) above, but then hold down DSC Button
c) DSC MDM, Normal Power, Normal Servotronic: Not possible - MDM and Sport Servotronic come either together or not at all

d) DSC ON, Sport Power, Normal Servotronic: Hit Power Button (unless car was already in Sport Power mode, which by the way is remembered across restarts)
e) DSC OFF, Sport Power, Normal Servotronic: Hold Down DSC button. Then hit Power button once (again, unless car was already in Sport Power mode)
f) DSC MDM, Sport Power, Normal Servotronic: same as C (not possible).

g) DSC ON, Normal Power, Sport Servotronic: Hit M button. Turn DSC back on via console button. Put Power into Normal mode via console button.
h) DSC OFF, Normal Power, Sport Servotronic: Hit M button. Turn DSC off via holding down console button. Put Power into Normal mode via console button.
i) DSC MDM, Normal Power, Sport Servotronic: Hit M button. Hit Power button. Alternatively, you can actually set Normal Power to the M Button permanently by holding the M Button down when the car is in Normal Power mode. Useful for making the M Button a "track button" where you want MDM and Sport steering, but where the Sport Power might make throttle too twitchy.

j) DSC ON, Sport Power, Sport Servotronic: Hit M Button. Turn DSC back ON (out of MDM mode) via the console button.
k) DSC OFF, Sport Power, Sport Servotronic: Hit M Button. Hold down DSC button on console to turn DSC off.
l) DSC MDM, Sport Power, Sport Servotronic: Hit M Button.
Good post. iDrive will also allow you to turn on Bluetooth Audi streaming. In theory, no iDrive maybe needed, but it does not work for me. iDrive will also allow you to set POWER and EDC (NA in your case) settings when the car is first started. Again, in theory no iDrive needed, but again does not work for me.

What else??? Do you have an iPhone? iDrive integration with iPhone will be awesome.

I got PDC, Bluetooth, iPod/USB. For me going with the package that includes iDrive would have been a $1,000 delta. Have I realized that when I was ordering - I would have ordered it. I am workign with BWM NA on addressing the issues I am having, but I know iDrive would have addressed both of them.
      03-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #55
muwarrior07
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
for some of us cost is not an issue for the options, we would rather have a low option car that offers a slightly more pure and basic driving experience.

If I was only going to keep my m3 a couple years I would get it fully loaded, no reason not to. However i think if you plan on keeping you car over the long run, cars without nav/tech package will age better. When I was briefly looking at e46 m3 I would only look at ones without the nav package. I might eat my words in a couple years when the f2x m3 comes out, but I think this n/a v8 m3 will become a classic in a couple years, a classic that I will be happy that I kept. I'll get the fancy nav and other crap on my other cars

In the end get a car that you like and will be happy with bc that is all that matters.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #56
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Sorry to hear about your problems. I know EDC and Power settings are definitely supposed to remembered forever for a single hump M3, but I honestly had no idea Bluetooth Audio streaming was supported without IDrive. That surprises me as I thought the software to do it was part of the whole IDrive hardware package.

FWIW, I've read posts about glitchy behavior similar to yours relating to both IDrive and non-IDrive cars. In other words, spec-ing the car with IDrive isn't going to guarantee you trouble free electro-gadetry in your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MORELAP View Post
Good post. iDrive will also allow you to turn on Bluetooth Audi streaming. In theory, no iDrive maybe needed, but it does not work for me. iDrive will also allow you to set POWER and EDC (NA in your case) settings when the car is first started. Again, in theory no iDrive needed, but again does not work for me.

I am workign with BWM NA on addressing the issues I am having, but I know iDrive would have addressed both of them.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #57
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
and if you have, you'll be happy to get rid of it and go back to a much simpler system of just pushing a mechanical (or semi-mechanical) button instead. At least I was, I've had iDrive before.
that's a personal preference, like anything else...

I had an Idrive on my last BMW, could not imagine not having on any future BMW. And the refreshed design with center console dedicated buttons is a great improvement over the previous version....
      03-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #58
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Because it'll turn into a $70k+ car very quickly and if you don't use the options, why get them???

Quote:
Originally Posted by muwarrior07 View Post
for some of us cost is not an issue for the options, we would rather have a low option car that offers a slightly more pure and basic driving experience.

If I was only going to keep my m3 a couple years I would get it fully loaded, no reason not to. However i think if you plan on keeping you car over the long run, cars without nav/tech package will age better. When I was briefly looking at e46 m3 I would only look at ones without the nav package. I might eat my words in a couple years when the f2x m3 comes out, but I think this n/a v8 m3 will become a classic in a couple years, a classic that I will be happy that I kept. I'll get the fancy nav and other crap on my other cars

In the end get a car that you like and will be happy with bc that is all that matters.

Thanks you. Exactly what I was thinking.
I also know there have been a few cars that were lighter on the scale and seemed to have no iDrive.
The E9x M3 will be the last to have a true M engine until Seglar is knocked off!!
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 01:56 AM   #59
Ayouty
Egypt
Rep
Drives: '12 X5 x50i M Sport

Garage List
BMW = iDrive (PERIOD)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #60
z00m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

I have no m buttom, no EDC, no DCT - and i losse nothing. Ride on coilovers - real M
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2011, 02:11 AM   #61
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
well, according to most of this forum.

You MUST get idrive, it not, DO NOT BUY an m3.
Agreed, The I-Drive is pretty slick, and most of those settings in there I do in fact change quite often. I will preset my M button based on the drive I'm planning on having. I will change it several times a week. I drive just for the radio controls is nifty on it's own. EDC, I drive, NAV with 6MT is the way to go..Well or so I thought. I saw a video online of the DCT and the shifting in that car is so quick that it makes me think twice about my 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 02:20 AM   #62
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

weight and frustration
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 02:24 AM   #63
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

Quote:
You guys who want all options just for the sake of completeness have probably never looked at a loaded C2 or C2S price, eh? Sure, I'll go spend more than a GT3 RS on a loaded C2S. Great idea.

Also, how much more weight does a loaded M3 carry than a stripped one? It's got to be at least 150 lbs. DCT alone is 50 lbs. or so. Now, how many people that complain about weight gain in modern cars are also buying cars with every option or nearly every option? The answer is a lot more than "none", and probably close half based on observations of how many people spec their cars loaded on this forum.

It's a simple trade off, really. More luxury = more $$$ and more lbs.
yes sir. all 100% true. ppl complain about weight but slap every feature on in the book.

pccb is 8k alone. not to mention all those cf bits and customizations.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #64
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayouty View Post
BMW = iDrive (PERIOD)
Yep, and that is exactly why the M3 GTS is simply the worst BMW in recent memory. A terrible car, that one.

In fact, without IDrive, your car would handle poorly, be extremely slow, and just generally not perform at all. Lucky for you though, that snazzy computer system makes it the truly the Ultimate IDriving Machine.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #65
aoysgelt
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

I have put a deposit on 2013 M3 that does not come with Nav = no iDrive. Now I am trying to figure out whether I'll be happy without it or I should look for another car. I don't need Navigation - I use my iPhone 5 but it would be nice to have iPhone navigation directions go through car's sound system through bluetooth to avoid plugging multiple cables in. Also it would be nice to be able to use car's microphone for Siri (or other programs that use voice commands).

Will non-iDrive 2013 car allow iPhone to play non-phone sounds through bluetooth

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #66
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoysgelt View Post
I have put a deposit on 2013 M3 that does not come with Nav = no iDrive. Now I am trying to figure out whether I'll be happy without it or I should look for another car. I don't need Navigation - I use my iPhone 5 but it would be nice to have iPhone navigation directions go through car's sound system through bluetooth to avoid plugging multiple cables in. Also it would be nice to be able to use car's microphone for Siri (or other programs that use voice commands).

Will non-iDrive 2013 car allow iPhone to play non-phone sounds through bluetooth

Thank you
No.
Appreciate 0