BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

07-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #45
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
There's only one cure for that sort of infection. If you have the means, do it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 02:36 PM   #46
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keikdasneak View Post
I would go after the GTR ASAP. If you already had a M3 get the GTR! The new GTR Interior is a lot better then the old. DO IT! M3 interior isn't all that like people keep saying it is.
I always wonder why people say that.

Dash glows blue instead of red/orange.
Stick-on CF overlay on the console.
Different tint to the gray/metallic trim.
etc.
Doesn't really seem like a 'lot better' to me. TBH, it's really 'more of the same'.

The only comfort change is that the shocks are tad softer in the comfort setting.

In regards to comfort, it's important to keep in mind where you're coming from, and what you're used to.
If you drive around in a rock hard track prepared evo every day, then the GTR is soft as hell.
If you drive around in an old beater with crappy AC and a shit stereo, then the GTR is posh as hell.
If you ride around in a maybach [and still manage to complain about the seats] then the GTR is hellishly unrefined.
All-in-all, it's still way easier to DD than an RSX, s2000, rx8, etc.

-scheherazade

Last edited by scheherazade; 07-31-2012 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #47
Crypty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3

For what you will give up in comfort with the GT-R you will get back x2 in performance. Do it. (The GT-R is my favorite car ever)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #48
Space Ghost
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

It was on my list before the M3 and couldn't find one but, now I cant decide if it is before the Porsche or not.

2008 E92 M3, ESS VT-1, AA Full Exhaust, Volk TE-37, PSS10, ST BBK, ARKYM Motorsport Spliter, Vorsteiner Diffuser, BMW Edition Grill/Gill's, BMW Performance Spoiler, AUTOcoture Blacked Out Headlights, LCI Tail lights, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Center Dash Insert, Ultimate Racing Pedals (Because Race Car), AA SSK, Speed Cloth.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #49
pharmdphd98
PharM3
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
It was on my list before the M3 and couldn't find one but, now I cant decide if it is before the Porsche or not.
Sounds like you simply couldn't find one at the price you were willing pay and had to settle for the M3. If you are going to spend this kind of money might as well get what you really want. A new Porsche 911 that is loaded with all the desirable options is going to be well over 120K and still not perform as well as a new GT-R. If you want a Porsche that can compete with the GT-R you are talking about the new 991 Turbo, GT2, or GT3 and those cars are going to be almost double the price of a new GT-R. That's a totally different ballpark as far as I am concerned.

GT-R is THE absolute best value in the world as far as performance goes.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #50
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
I would actually take an M3 + stroker over a GTR any day. The GTR has no finesse, it just attacks the corners and the AWD swallows up your mistakes. I would rather have a 9k redline RWD animal that takes precision and concentration. A MUCH more rewarding experience as a driver if you ask me. But in your case, get the GTR. LOL.

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #51
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
I always wonder why people say that.

Dash glows blue instead of red/orange.
Stick-on CF overlay on the console.
Different tint to the gray/metallic trim.
etc.
Doesn't really seem like a 'lot better' to me. TBH, it's really 'more of the same'.

The only comfort change is that the shocks are tad softer in the comfort setting.

In regards to comfort, it's important to keep in mind where you're coming from, and what you're used to.
If you drive around in a rock hard track prepared evo every day, then the GTR is soft as hell.
If you drive around in an old beater with crappy AC and a shit stereo, then the GTR is posh as hell.
If you ride around in a maybach [and still manage to complain about the seats] then the GTR is hellishly unrefined.
All-in-all, it's still way easier to DD than an RSX, s2000, rx8, etc.

-scheherazade

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #52
UnaBomber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5, 2010 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb0mike View Post
I would actually take an M3 + stroker over a GTR any day. The GTR has no finesse, it just attacks the corners and the AWD swallows up your mistakes. I would rather have a 9k redline RWD animal that takes precision and concentration. A MUCH more rewarding experience as a driver if you ask me. But in your case, get the GTR. LOL.
i find posts like this comical. to think the GTR has such an advantage over other cars that it turns faster lap times than your M without precision or concentration by the driver doesnt say much about your trusty 3 series
8.97@164 - 206.99 half mile - 1401whp 1095tq Road Race Prepped Monster Killed on Hellbender 28

Last edited by UnaBomber; 08-27-2012 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #53
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaBomber View Post
i find posts like this comical. to think the GTR has such an advantage over other cars that it turns faster lap times than your M without precision or concentration by the driver doesnt say much about your trusty 3 series
BS.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #54
pharmdphd98
PharM3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
BS.
I think us car enthusiasts sometimes get carried away and start to act like children. Both GT-R and M3 are great cars that were intended for different purposes. GT-R is a true time attack car that is built to beat porsches and Ferraris (and it did with flying colors) while giving the driver some luxury features we are used to (i.e., bluetooth, nice stereo, cold AC, etc.); the M3, especially the E9X series, is built with more emphasis on luxury but still (for the time being) has a great motor coupled with a finely tuned suspension that will outhandle 95% of the cars out on the street. Any AWD car will offer better traction than a RWD car, and when you couple a race-proven AWD system like the ATTESSA with a high power engine like the VR38DETT you create a beast that is the R-35 GT-R. The R-35 has been on the market now for 5 years and it is still kicking butt just like the M3 is doing even in its 6th year of production. Let's pay our respect to these two great cars, however different they may be.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #55
masti99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmdphd98 View Post
I think us car enthusiasts sometimes get carried away and start to act like children. Both GT-R and M3 are great cars that were intended for different purposes. GT-R is a true time attack car that is built to beat porsches and Ferraris (and it did with flying colors) while giving the driver some luxury features we are used to (i.e., bluetooth, nice stereo, cold AC, etc.); the M3, especially the E9X series, is built with more emphasis on luxury but still (for the time being) has a great motor coupled with a finely tuned suspension that will outhandle 95% of the cars out on the street. Any AWD car will offer better traction than a RWD car, and when you couple a race-proven AWD system like the ATTESSA with a high power engine like the VR38DETT you create a beast that is the R-35 GT-R. The R-35 has been on the market now for 5 years and it is still kicking butt just like the M3 is doing even in its 6th year of production. Let's pay our respect to these two great cars, however different they may be.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #56
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
I actually do very well against GTRs on the track. I am purely stating that the 3 series (M or not) takes more precision to drive fast and has more reward. I have to constantly countersteer, control trail-braking, and so on. A GTR owner points the nose towards the apex and hits the accelerator. With that being said, I would probably own a GTR if I didn't have my 3 or an M3 (which I will have soon). If I wanted to turn in fast lap times I would drive a GTR, but in terms of bringing a smile to my face and the rewarding satisfaction of complete car control, give me an M3.

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #57
pharmdphd98
PharM3
Rep

Quote:
I actually do very well against GTRs on the track. I am purely stating that the 3 series (M or not) takes more precision to drive fast and has more reward. I have to constantly countersteer, control trail-braking, and so on. A GTR owner points the nose towards the apex and hits the accelerator. With that being said, I would probably own a GTR if I didn't have my 3 or an M3 (which I will have soon). If I wanted to turn in fast lap times I would drive a GTR, but in terms of bringing a smile to my face and the rewarding satisfaction of complete car control, give me an M3.
It's great that you personally enjoy the experience of working hard to avoid losing control of your car on the track. I prefer to just focus on going fast and winning the race.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #58
UnaBomber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5, 2010 GTR

Quote:
A GTR owner points the nose towards the apex and hits the accelerator.

car just drives itself man, what can i say
8.97@164 - 206.99 half mile - 1401whp 1095tq Road Race Prepped Monster Killed on Hellbender 28
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #59
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Red GTR

Quote:

car just drives itself man, what can i say
Yeah. No such thing as understeer or oversteer in a GTR.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #60
scheherazade
Major
Rep

Quote:
I actually do very well against GTRs on the track.
Pretty much all cars do well against each other on the track.

What I mean is :
(Sorted by lap time) The fast drivers are always near the top, and there's only a loose correlation between car and lap time.

10+ year old NA rice beaters with slicks and excellent drivers crush modern supercars with average-Joe behind the wheel.
And even then, people are only seconds apart anyways...

The only clear-cut way to sort cars without the driver being important, is rolling highway pulls (given no one screws up a shift...).
And that's just acceleration/top speed.

Note :
Power oversteer is not hard to do with the GTR. Turn wheel, gun it, turn wheel the other way. Voala. Now just regulate to keep it going.
Trail braking is a practice thing. Practically every car can brake oversteer. Both my GTR and my old accord trail brake nicely.

-scheherazade

Last edited by scheherazade; 08-27-2012 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #61
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Why in the hell do you GT-R guys feel the need to come on here, or, for those that are former M3 owners, stay on here to post about how fabulous your car is? I just don't get it. Doesn't the NAGTROC site excite you enough?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #62
scheherazade
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
Why in the hell do you GT-R guys feel the need to come on here, or, for those that are former M3 owners, stay on here to post about how fabulous your car is? I just don't get it. Doesn't the NAGTROC site excite you enough?
Says the guy with a 911 turbo...

NAGTROC has less talk than the <bmw-model>post.com site family.

But NAGTROC and M3 post both have the same general issue that you encounter on any model-specific forum : Too many people think their car is god's gift to car lovers.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #63
alms211
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Says the guy with a 911 turbo...

NAGTROC has less talk than the <bmw-model>post.com site family.

But NAGTROC and M3 post both have the same general issue that you encounter on any model-specific forum : Too many people think their car is god's gift to car lovers.

-scheherazade
Another d!pshit that doesn't get it........please show me where I am singing the praises of my 997 Turbo and/or putting the M3 down? Come on sport, I'm all ears.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #64
scheherazade
Major
Rep

Quote:
Another d!pshit that doesn't get it........please show me where I am singing the praises of my 997 Turbo and/or putting the M3 down? Come on sport, I'm all ears.
Never said you were.

Just like I'm not singing GTR praise either.

But we're both ex BMW owners, posting on a site pertaining to a car that neither of us drive.

(Granted, you're less ex than me, since you still have a BMW (X5))

-scheherazade

Last edited by scheherazade; 08-27-2012 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #65
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Red GTR

Quote:
The point is, why are you here in a GTR/M3 thread? You have neither. Glad to see you have taken the role of M3post police.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #66
alms211
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Never said you were.

Just like I'm not singing GTR praise either.

But we're both ex BMW owners, posting on a site pertaining to a car that neither of us drive.

-scheherazade
So you are going to sit here and tell me you have never sang the prasie of the GT-R on here? If you haven't (I'm fairly sure you have many times BTW), then my comment does not pertain to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaforever View Post
The point is, why are you here in a GTR/M3 thread? You have neither. Glad to see you have taken the role of M3post police.
Pssssst....see my signature. I have owned an E92 M3 and am in the process of getting another one. Test drove a GT-R before I bought the E92M3. Powerful car; just not for me. Can't stand the looks and size of the car and the driving experience is boring.
Appreciate 0