BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

06-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #177
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuyuyuyu View Post
I believe you can keep your existing camera setup.

There's a setting in the carplay interface that allows you to toggle between the original car's backup camera (in your case the emulator + camera) or an aftermarket camera that you can wire directly to the carplay unit.
Awesome. I'd be curious to know the differences between this one you just received, the Unichip, and the Joyeauto unit.. This one for $319 is the least expensive of the three (looks like its actually on sale for $303 today). I guess we'll have to wait until the Unichip and Joyeauto are released to find out.

What is the Bluetooth name you connect to when you connect to it? I wonder if its the same as the others posted in this thread.

Edit: Just watched the installation video of the $319 unit, looks like its a Limcet box, same as the Joyeauto mentioned earlier in this thread. Wonder if this will be the same unit as the Joyeauto and Unichip, but this company was first to get it shipped out to customers?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #178
yuyuyuyu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
Awesome. I'd be curious to know the differences between this one you just received, the Unichip, and the Joyeauto unit.. This one for $319 is the least expensive of the three (looks like its actually on sale for $303 today). I guess we'll have to wait until the Unichip and Joyeauto are released to find out.

What is the Bluetooth name you connect to when you connect to it? I wonder if its the same as the others posted in this thread.
Limcet -- which is what others have reported on this thread as well. Pretty sure they're all just re branded versions based off the same hardware.

My unit was a slim silver interface just like what others have posted in this thread. Only difference is I see two antennae on the bottom of the unit, which I assume are used for the wireless capabilities.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:02 AM   #179
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Limcet -- which is what others have reported on this thread as well. Pretty sure they're all just re branded versions based off the same hardware.

My unit was a slim silver interface just like what others have posted in this thread. Only difference is I see two antennae on the bottom of the unit, which I assume are used for the wireless capabilities.
Are the carplay features as fast/responsive as OEM BMW carplay? In our 2018 4 series everything is very quick.. Is the factory microphone disconnected completely, so you're now using the carplay unit's mic for everything (siri for carplay as well as phone calls via the OEM CIC phone functionality)?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:36 AM   #180
yuyuyuyu
Major
Rep

Quote:
Are the carplay features as fast/responsive as OEM BMW carplay? In our 2018 4 series everything is very quick.. Is the factory microphone disconnected completely, so you're now using the carplay unit's mic for everything (siri for carplay as well as phone calls via the OEM CIC phone functionality)?
I think it's pretty responsive, although I don't have the OEM carplay to compare with so I can't say for sure.

I actually didn't get a chance to test calls yet since I was underground with no service when I did the install. I'll have to that when I get service. I read somewhere that the OEM mic is still used for phone calls though.

I did try Siri and it went through the external mic as expected.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:42 AM   #181
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think it's pretty responsive, although I don't have the OEM carplay to compare with so I can't say for sure.

I actually didn't get a chance to test calls yet since I was underground with no service when I did the install. I'll have to that when I get service. I read somewhere that the OEM mic is still used for phone calls though.

I did try Siri and it went through the external mic as expected.
Awesome.. the replies to texts via voice are a really cool part of car play.. that and spotify are my primary reasons for wanting it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #182
yuyuyuyu
Major
Rep

Quote:
Awesome.. the replies to texts via voice are a really cool part of car play.. that and spotify are my primary reasons for wanting it.
For sure -- I'm mostly in it for Waze and Spotify

No need to mount my phone to my dash anymore
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 12:46 PM   #183
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Thanks for the additional info yuyuyuyu. For $300 I may pull the trigger and give this a shot. Few more questions:

1) I assume once you install this, you no longer connect to the factory bluetooth?
2) When you are in Carplay mode and go to reverse the car, does it still switch to the PDC/camera screen automatically?
3) Do the Tel button and steering wheel Tel controls work with Carplay calling, or do they activate the OEM BMW calling functions?
      06-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #184
yuyuyuyu
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
Thanks for the additional info yuyuyuyu. For $300 I may pull the trigger and give this a shot. Few more questions:

1) I assume once you install this, you no longer connect to the factory bluetooth?
2) When you are in Carplay mode and go to reverse the car, does it still switch to the PDC/camera screen automatically?
3) Do the Tel button and steering wheel Tel controls work with Carplay calling, or do they activate the OEM BMW calling functions?
1. Correct, you connect to the carplay unit's bluetooth. Although factory bluetooth was still connected to my phone simultaneously (but no audio was going through the factory bluetooth since AUX is selected as the source when using the carplay interface)
2. Yes, every time I threw it into reverse (even with a 6MT), it switched to the PDC/camera screen and/or aftermarket reverse camera view, depending on the setting you select in the carplay interface menu
3. I have to play around with the phone features a bit more, I actually didnt try those at all yet.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      06-11-2019, 01:18 PM   #185
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
1. Correct, you connect to the carplay unit's bluetooth. Although factory bluetooth was still connected to my phone simultaneously (but no audio was going through the factory bluetooth since AUX is selected as the source when using the carplay interface)
2. Yes, every time I threw it into reverse (even with a 6MT), it switched to the PDC/camera screen and/or aftermarket reverse camera view, depending on the setting you select in the carplay interface menu
3. I have to play around with the phone features a bit more, I actually didnt try those at all yet.
Thank you.

Sorry - one more for now.
How do you connect the carplay box to the Aux input? Do you have to run another cable under the center console to the armrest?
      06-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #186
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you.

Sorry - one more for now.
How do you connect the carplay box to the Aux input? Do you have to run another cable under the center console to the armrest?
I contacted Kremersino Store (seller of this $300 unit) this morning and he sent me the PDF manual for the installation in a CIC car.. if you PM me with your email address I will forward it along to you.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      06-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #187
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I contacted Kremersino Store (seller of this $300 unit) this morning and he sent me the PDF manual for the installation in a CIC car.. if you PM me with your email address I will forward it along to you.
Thank you! PM'ed.
      06-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #188
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Looks like the Joyeauto wireless CIC unit is now available for sale on their website:
https://www.joyeauto.com/product/pre...face-retrofit/

The photos of the Joyeauto unit shows that its a different physical box than the other Aliexpress units out there (Such as the $319 unit posted above) - photos are here - scroll down a bit:
https://www.joyeauto.com/bmw-cic-1-3...play-solution/

The Joyeauto has a bit different cabling setup and has an external wifi antenna.

I emailed them asking for the installation manual and if they are aware of differences between their unit and the others.

It appears the Joyeauto can be used via wired or wireless, that may be a plus for some... and it's USB port can be used for firmware upgrades.. I wonder how the $319 unit handles firmware upgrades - wireless I'd assume but being able to update via USB would be a plus as well.

Last edited by brettcp; 06-11-2019 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 03:26 PM   #189
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Looks like the Joyeauto wireless CIC unit is now available for sale on their website:

The photos of the Joyeauto unit shows that its a different physical box than the other Aliexpress units out there (Such as the $319 unit posted above) - photos are here - scroll down a bit:

The Joyeauto has a bit different cabling setup and has an external wifi antenna.

I emailed them asking for the installation manual and if they are aware of differences between their unit and the others.

It appears the Joyeauto can be used via wired or wireless, that may be a plus for some... and it's USB port can be used for firmware upgrades.. I wonder how the $319 unit handles firmware upgrades - wireless I'd assume but being able to update via USB would be a plus as well.
Based on the install manual for the Aliexpress box, it appears the main difference is that the Aliexpress uses Bluetooth to connect to the iPhone (and streams music that way too?) while the iJoyauto uses Wifi for streaming...unless I'm misreading the Aliexpress document. I think the Aliexpress comes with a USB connection as well since it states "If you want to use Android Auto, please connect Android phone with USB cable."

Maybe yuyuyuyu can confirm whether it has a USB port...

Last edited by PACarGuy; 06-11-2019 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #190
yuyuyuyu
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Based on the install manual for the Aliexpress box, it appears the main difference is that the Aliexpress uses Bluetooth to connect to the iPhone (and streams music that way too?) while the iJoyauto uses Wifi for streaming...unless I'm misreading the Aliexpress document. I think the Aliexpress comes with a USB connection as well since it states "If you want to use Android Auto, please connect Android phone with USB cable."

Maybe yuyuyuyu can confirm whether it has a USB port...
Yes it comes with a usb, carplay can be done through this USB port as well
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      06-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #191
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes it comes with a usb, carplay can be done through this USB port as well
Can you confirm a couple other details on yours (features that the Joyeauto unit claims to have):

- Automatically enter CarPlay screen when getting in the car
- EQ adjustable... choose your favorite (Pop, Rock, etc)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 06:03 PM   #192
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Ended up buying this last week and received it yesterday -- installed it to do some initial testing and so far it looks good.

Seller was responsive with troubleshooting some initial issues I had on my end.

Wireless works out of the box without any updates. Audio quality from the AUX is good too, at least from what I can tell when I compare it with my combox bluetooth audio.

Only issue I've had is fitting an aftermarket reverse camera. It only displays 2/3s of the camera where the remaining 1/3 on the right hand side is just blank (might be for a PDC image?). Was told that it could be the camera that I was using, so I bought another one and will test to confirm.
Nice! were you able to hide the module behind or above the glovebox?
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #193
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

brettcp Does the installation instructions for the Kremersino Store
one require the quadlock?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #194
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
brettcp Does the installation instructions for the Kremersino Store
one require the quadlock?
It does not appear so.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 07:56 PM   #195
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
It does not appear so.
You know, its quite possible they are all made by the same manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 08:29 PM   #196
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

brettcp

Wireless Carplay requires both Bluetooth and WiFi to work. It also requires GPS location data.

BT is used to connect/discover devices.
WiFi is the medium for audio/video transfer.

If you want to read more about it or watch the video from WWDC 2017 that talks about wireless Carplay and how to set up a device.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2017/717/

It is interesting how the BT discovery and response messages are set up to trigger the WiFi access point and transfer the medium. Then again, I work with networks as a professional so my excitement might be bias.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:55 PM   #197
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
brettcp

Wireless Carplay requires both Bluetooth and WiFi to work. It also requires GPS location data.

BT is used to connect/discover devices.
WiFi is the medium for audio/video transfer.

If you want to read more about it or watch the video from WWDC 2017 that talks about wireless Carplay and how to set up a device.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2017/717/

It is interesting how the BT discovery and response messages are set up to trigger the WiFi access point and transfer the medium. Then again, I work with networks as a professional so my excitement might be bias.
I'm definitely with you there! As of right now I'm just curious about the differences between the $300 unit and the $419 joyeauto unit are (as well as the upcoming Unichip unit).. It seems it will be a few weeks before we get valuable feedback on the different options available. If these were US-based I'd just order them all to test, but returning overseas can be a pain.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 01:25 AM   #198
yuyuyuyu
Major
Rep

Quote:
Can you confirm a couple other details on yours (features that the Joyeauto unit claims to have):

- Automatically enter CarPlay screen when getting in the car
- EQ adjustable... choose your favorite (Pop, Rock, etc)

Thanks!
For me it did not automatically enter carplay, although I still have everything apart in my car as I haven't had time to thoroughly test everything

and I did not see an EQ anywhere...will have to look for that if there is one

Quote:
Nice! were you able to hide the module behind or above the glovebox?

Haven't tried yet Ideally I want this thing concealed but the vendor recommended somewhere UNDER the glovebox so there's better heat dissipation and signal.
Appreciate 0