BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #23
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
I use a new Stilo along with an Arai GP5W. I've worn Arai motorcycle helmets for a long time and trust both brands.

Stilo doesn't give up much to Arai in quality, both are certainly a level above upper end Simpsons and Bells. I had an order for a new GP6 but couldn't wait any longer, Arai had some delivery problems last year.

I got the Stilo because of the available options and add-ons, this one has integrated earmuffs, water hook-up, carbon peak visor for hot events that allow them, and top-mounted air blower inlet attachment. The Arai is set up with custom earbuds and IMSA plugs, works great but not as clean when I'm not using comm.

The water hook-up is handy in Texas for enduros and junkcar racing. However, I love the superwide eyeport of the Arai, just lets in a lot of air if you run visor up.

I wear XL in both, fitment is very close. I have a round head profile, the Stilo is slightly tigher in the forehead, but it has a removable top pad and both have adjustable cheek pads.
Attached Images

11-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #24
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

We love the stilo too, we have the ST4 GT wide. Used to have the Arai GP5-W and the stilo feels more comfortable and looks better.

+1^^^ on the options. The integrated ear muffs, water, and top mounted air hook up was nice too.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #25
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Thanks for the info everyone - I just ordered the Stilo ST4 GT W Carbon with electronics and hydration. I'll take some pics and write small review here once I receive it.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #26
orion565
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 m3

whats wrong with your current helmet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disapr View Post
Thanks for the info everyone - I just ordered the Stilo ST4 GT W Carbon with electronics and hydration. I'll take some pics and write small review here once I receive it.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #27
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion565 View Post
whats wrong with your current helmet?
My old helmet was not SA2010 rated and that is required for the next Texas Mile event.

Plus I wanted a motorsport helmet with HANS adapters

This is pretty much what I ordered

Last edited by disapr; 11-07-2011 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #28
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

fwiw I have the previous version GP helmet and love it. I have the wide version with matte paint, which I'm glad I got. I am a huge arai fan, and have owned a few of their helmets. Great support and product.
      12-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #29
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep

Follow up on the helmet purchase

This is my personal opinion and I don’t mean to offend anyone that bought/uses helmet X.

I ordered the Stilo ST4 GT Carbon with Rally Communication and the Hydration adapter. The carbon fiber looks great, the helmet is super light and in theory the accessories really add value to the helmet.

I chose this helmet over the Arai because of the weight, appearance and accessories in that order.

After receiving the helmet having it for a few days I ordered the Arai GP-6 and sent the Stilo back. Before I sent the Stilo back I had both helmets side by side and below is my comparison of the two helmets.

Stilo ST4 GT Carbon

Pros
  • Super light, half pound lighter than the Arai
  • The carbon fiber looks great
  • It’s not white

Cons
  • The fit was lose for me all around even though I am exactly within the range for the Large size that I ordered based on measurements.
  • Peripheral visibility was greatly reduced compared to the GP-6.
  • The tinted visor had slight horizontal optical distortion that was pretty noticeable in bright sun when looking up and down.
  • The chin strap is made of a rough nylon type material that is difficult to secure with gloves on and isn’t very comfortable against your chin.
  • The liner/padding inside the helmet is very stiff and has more of an exacting fit vs. a surrounding fit.
  • The rally electronics speakers are built into noise attenuating earmuffs that press firmly and practically seal around your ears. This would probably be great for racing an open wheels racecar but in my M3 with the windows down I couldn’t hear enough to feel comfortable driving on the track. I need all of my senses. The helmet always comes with the noise attenuating earmuffs but when you don’t buy the electronics you can just remove them. However, with the electronics installed you are forced to use the earmuffs even if you aren’t using com.
  • The hydration adapter isn’t designed to be easily removed from the helmet and when it’s not being used it’s massively in the way.
  • The helmet had lose/frayed threads and overall poor build quality internally.
  • Only available in SA2010 (not SAH2010)
  • Smells like a new chevy (some may put this in the pros column but not me)

Arai GP-6

Pros
  • The fit is perfect, secure and matches Arai’s sizing chart
  • The liner/padding and strap materials are soft and comfortably conform to your face
  • The visor is huge, clear and provides plenty of visibility
  • Overall quality inside and out is very high with no visible defects
  • 5 year warranty
  • SAH2010 Cert

Cons
  • Only available in white
  • Smells like glue the first couple of times you wear it

Overall I am very happy with the Arai GP-6 and would recommend it to anyone looking for a high end motorsport helmet.

I have also custom installed radio gear from Chatterbox that fits cleanly into a little pocket in the liner and doesn't otherwise impact my hearing. Plus mine is installed with velcro and is easily removable.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #30
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Good Review - glad to hear you were able in the end to compare them side by side. Sounds like you made the right choice for you in the end. Fit is so important.

Enjoy the new lid!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #31
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Cons
  • Smells like glue the first couple of times you wear it
That's a pro for some people...
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #32
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
That's a pro for some people...
True - I had to think of something to be a con

It does't bother me though
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #33
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Great review, thanks for posting. I need to order a new Arai...
      02-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #34
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Helmet fitment is very personal. For some people, the Stilo will be more comfortable than the Arai. Unfortunately, the Stilos do not fit my head. You are correct that the Stilo has a very exacted fitment...less conforming padding than my current Bell. Medium was almost perfect but put too much pressure on my crown. Large was too bit front to back.

I have ordered an Arai GP6 and will see how it goes. Will share my thoughts vs. the Stilo once it arrives. If that doesn't work, I will go with a Bell Vortex GT, though that is a dropoff in quality.

Quote:
I have also custom installed radio gear from Chatterbox that fits cleanly into a little pocket in the liner and doesn't otherwise impact my hearing. Plus mine is installed with velcro and is easily removable.
Where did you get the custom radio gear for the Chatterbox? This is something I will need for my Arai assuming it fits.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #35
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

You'll love the gp6. The cheek pads on mine were much to small so I ordered the smaller ones since I wouldnt use it enough to ever break in. No complaints..
      02-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #36
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep

I ended up getting a GP-6S (less expensive version of GP6) and it arrived today. Quick impressions vs. the Stilo ST4 W Composite that I tried.

1) The Large size fits me perfectly. The Stilo seems to run slightly bigger depending on your head shape, since the Large Stilo was also too big for the OP.

2) Awesome balance. Doesn't feel top heavy at all.

3) Interior is more soft than the Stilo. More like a soft sponge.

4) Visor opening mechanism is extremely convenient. I like it better than any other helmet I've tried, including the Stilos.

5) Build quality is really good. Stilo build quality was great on the outside too, but the Arai seems great all around.

6) The shape of the ear cups in the Arai fits me a little better.

7) Arai makes a unique shell for each helmet size, so the overall size is minimized. I don't have the Stilo Large side by side to the Arai large, but the Arai seems smaller. Stilo makes two shell sizes to keep costs down and then adjusts the padding on the inside. If you fit into a Medium Stilo, you will have the smallest shell size for your head. But Large and XL share the big shell on the Stilos. Not a big deal either way.

8) Visibility is good. I didn't have any complaints with the Stilo Wide, but peripheral view with this Arai non-wide helmet is slightly better. Up and down view is about the same.

9) The Stilo has better venting in the mouth area. 4 vents vs. only 2 with the Arai. As hard as I tried to fog up my visor with the Stilo, it did not happen. With the Arai, I can do it if I try, though I don't think it will be an issue in practice.

So overall, great helmet. Only negative is it's not as exotic looking as the Stilo since it only comes in white and I'll have to source my own electronics.

But like I said before, the Stilo is a very nice helmet. If it fits your head, it may be the right choice! It doesn't matter how nice a helmet is or how many features it has. Comfort is the most important thing, and if that's not right, don't get it.

Last edited by vantagesc; 02-16-2012 at 11:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #37
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep

Seems like we had similar experiences.

The GP6 is the best IMO. If you need carbon fiber and have an extra 5k laying around you can spurge for the GP6-RC!

I've installed radio gear in mine and I really can't imagine why I'd ever use anything else.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #38
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, we did have very similar experiences...our heads must be similarly shaped. My Arai dealer advised me that most of the weight of the helmet comes from the internal padding, visor, etc. So the actual difference in weight between the GP-6S vs. GP-6 vs. GP-6 RC isn't that much, but he didn't give actual weights. Plus the Carbon helmet has to meet the stricter FIA standard for F1, so that adds to the weight of the helmet.

Any tips on how to install the chatterbox radio?

Last edited by vantagesc; 02-15-2012 at 10:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #39
icc2492
Registered
Rep
Drives: Still looking

Hey guys, I'm in South Texas like some of you here. Where do you get your Arai and Stilo helmets? I haven't been able to find any physical stores that carry them yet, I don't know if there are any in Texas.

Do y'all just get them from online stores?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #40
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Online, hard to find local. Try friends/forum members in your area and try on for size. I was fine ordering online since I went with the GP6 and have had GPs for the last few series and was comfortable with the fit. Try ordering from Apex, they are very friendly and can get either Stilo or Arai with good prices.
      10-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #41
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

I've been eyeing the Stilo for some time now. The Arais are great, but the interiors cloth just isn't very durable and will wear a lot with constant use.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #42
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

I've been using the Stilo ST4F Composite since July and absolutely love it. As others have mentioned, the add-ons are great and are what sold me on Stilo. So far have mostly appreciated the noise attenuating earmuffs as my race car is loud. I added the integrated radio option and will be picking up radios this winter. I will say it took me a bit to get used to having a mic so close in. I'll also be adding the air supply system for hot weather driving. And seeing as I just finished my first enduro this past weekend (and loved it!), I'll also be adding hydration.
Appreciate 0