BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #23
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Over-revving when cold (and that means anything less than normal operating temperature) is the quickest way to ruin your engine, either catastrophically (something breaks, or a head gasket pops) or by rapidly increasing wear.
I think you are vastly over stating this risks. I'm not saying it isn't bad, but engines can take a lot more than most people give them credit for.
      05-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #24
BCA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_M3 View Post
How does one "accidentally" hit redline with a cold engine?
I see what you mean. But I'll give you one example: when I had my M3 with DCT, I would sometimes think I was in D mode when accelerating from a stop when I was actually in S mode. Redline comes pretty quickly in 1st gear! I did that a couple of times with a cold engine and it bugged me but caused no obvious damage. I recall seeing at least one other post on this forum by a concerned member who did the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Not true..

It will let you rev up to about 6K on an cold engine. Way too high. I don't go over 3000 RPM until the oil is atleast 160F. Then gradually raise RPM as temp raises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Definitely agree - anyone who relies on the variable red line as a source of useful should think again....this reminds me of the mis-translation from German to English, in the E46 SMG manual...."the shift lights indicate the optimum up-shift revs"......erm no, they dont.

Over-revving when cold (and that means anything less than normal operating temperature) is the quickest way to ruin your engine, either catastrophically (something breaks, or a head gasket pops) or by rapidly increasing wear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemetry View Post
I think you are vastly over stating this risks. I'm not saying it isn't bad, but engines can take a lot more than most people give them credit for.
I pretty much agree with all of this. I'm always careful with cold engines and try to keep RPM under 3k until pretty warmed up. At the same time, I think that my concern is likely a little overkill and the engines can take more than we give them. As long as you don't really push (or redline) your cold engine regularly, it's probably just fine.

Past BMWs: 2015 M3, 2014 550i, 2013 M3 ZCP, 2012 535i, 2011 E90 335i, 2009 E90 M3, 2008 X5, 2006 330i, 2004 330i
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #25
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_M3 View Post
How does one "accidentally" hit redline with a cold engine?
I made a stupid mistake once. I was waiting for a friend in my car for a long time and I wanted to extend my legs so I pressed down on the gas pedal. When I saw my friend I stepped on the clutch and started the car and basically redlined the car when the car was cold. It was bad... I felt bad so I gave my car a bath the day after
Appreciate 0