BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

05-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
SS e93
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

Driving with the seat reclined

Came across this article
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/30/h...ecline-too-fa/

Quote:
Sarah Goodner was killed in Texas in 2007 when her 2005 Hyundai Tucson rolled over and she was thrown out the back window. The culprit for that odd circumstance – even though she had her seat belt fastened – was her seat, which was reclined so far back that she was able to slide out of it.

Stuart Goodner, Sarah's father, sued Hyundai claiming that the Tucson was unsafe because the seat could be reclined too much. A jury agreed, kind of, awarding Goodner a $1.8 million judgment against Hyundai, but also deciding that Hyundai was only 45% responsible for Sarah's death. Stuart said, "We want people to know how dangerous it is to drive with the seat reclined, [and] we're calling the auto industry out to correct this design defect so that no other family has to bury one of their children."

This is just ridiculous. Why should any car company have to pay because people are idiots. I could understand if the seat failed, and would not stay up causing this to happen. It bothers me so much to see people driving with the seat fully reclined. I do not see how that is at all comfortable, and how you can even see. How can you possibly steer quickly and accurately with your arms fully extended just holding the wheel straight, as well as relying on pulling on the wheel to hold you up. Aside from a regular driving test, people need to pass an idiot driving test as well before getting behind the wheel of a car.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Really unfair to Hyundai. But, they probably have the money.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
335fourdoor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

I bet that every vehicle sold has a build-in allowance for liability lawsuits in their msrp.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335fourdoor View Post
I bet that every vehicle sold has a build-in allowance for liability lawsuits in their msrp.
without a doubt...that being said, Hyundai should not have to pay this woman's family compensation for her own idiocy. i can't stand it when i see some douche copping a fully reclined "thug lean" behind the wheel...
      05-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Next thing you know some moron who drives with their left foot out the window will sue when they get hurt saying the manufacturer shouldn't have windows that allow you to put your foot out while driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post
Next thing you know some moron who drives with their left foot out the window will sue when they get hurt saying the manufacturer shouldn't have windows that allow you to put your foot out while driving.

+1

fucking stupid. based on this judgement you could misuse anything you buy and sue the manufacturer.

Also, if she slid out the car, the angle of the seat must have been near-horizontal. Wtf why was she driving like that?
      05-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

yeah, the judge is retarded.

saw this guy in the exact same car as mine and recline his seat so far backward and he is like 5.5" tall. how the f can he see driving like that.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
yeah, the judge is retarded.

saw this guy in the exact same car as mine and recline his seat so far backward and he is like 5.5" tall. how the f can he see driving like that.
If you read...Jurors are the ones who agreed on the claim...
Most of them must've thinking....If the the victim won the lawsuit....then if they got into an accident next time....they can get some out of another vehicle manufacturer....
      05-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
///M PWR 00
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche

Welcome to America, the only place something like this could happen.....
      05-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
This is a personal pet hate of mine. The kid next to me drives like this, i.e. barely able to see over the dash and so far he has had 3 accidents in 13 months of driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #11
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Man what the fuck is wrong with this country?

Why can you even sue for that? I'm not sure how cases become approved, but who is the idiot approving cases like this to be heard?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Jury duty = group think. You get 1 charismatic speaker in that group of jurors and he can potentially sway everyone to agree with him. =/

On a side note, my e92 can basically recline the seat to the point where it touches the back seats lol...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #13
SS e93
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by my92 View Post
Jury duty = group think. You get 1 charismatic speaker in that group of jurors and he can potentially sway everyone to agree with him. =/

On a side note, my e92 can basically recline the seat to the point where it touches the back seats lol...
its understandable to have seats reclining that far. especially in a coupe if you need to haul something long through the trunk over the passenger seat. Obviously driver seat has no reason to recline that far, but why change motor/build in a stopper. use two of the same seats and change sides of the controls only. That is true about jury duty and any other group style decision. Unless it is in everyones interest, then people just go the easiest and quickest route.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #14
marty_mcfly
Banned
Rep
Drives: ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
This is a personal pet hate of mine. The kid next to me drives like this, i.e. barely able to see over the dash and so far he has had 3 accidents in 13 months of driving.
agreed. this is one of my biggest pet peeves. i (excuse the language) fucking HATE when people drive like this. it doesnt make you look cool or hard in anyway. doesnt add any cool points to your car either. that one arm over the steering wheel crap is stupid as well (usually the two go together for the ultimate cool guy look).

i mean im not saying you have to drive like those grannies that have their heads over the steering wheel, but damn dont act like you are driving a 300c on 24s either
Appreciate 0