BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

07-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
Chris_08_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92 Jerez Black

Replacing My Throttle Actuators

My car through a P2100 code, is in limp mode and has a bunch of iDrive messages listing all the malfunctions. I figured it was the throttle actuators based on my research on this forum.

My question is can I start the engine after installing the actuators BUT before putting back the plenum and intake? I want to make sure that the codes go away and limp mode is gone before putting everything back together.

I am also replacing the thermostat since I already have the car apart. I bought it 2 years ago as I get random thermostat codes during the cold weather and was planning on doing the change at some point.

BTW I have already pulled out the actuators and am just waiting for the new ones from M Power Motorsports. The DYI was extremely helpful and I am glad I did this myself.

Thanks in advance for your help
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Yes you can. Make sure the place you start the engine is clean and not dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_08_M3 View Post
My car through a P2100 code, is in limp mode and has a bunch of iDrive messages listing all the malfunctions. I figured it was the throttle actuators based on my research on this forum.

My question is can I start the engine after installing the actuators BUT before putting back the plenum and intake? I want to make sure that the codes go away and limp mode is gone before putting everything back together.

I am also replacing the thermostat since I already have the car apart. I bought it 2 years ago as I get random thermostat codes during the cold weather and was planning on doing the change at some point.

BTW I have already pulled out the actuators and am just waiting for the new ones from M Power Motorsports. The DYI was extremely helpful and I am glad I did this myself.

Thanks in advance for your help
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34450.00
      07-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Just place the plenum on top but don't seat it and plug in the two clips.
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia984.50
      07-19-2018, 08:48 AM   #4
Chris_08_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Awesome...thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Why would you want to? Unfiltered air isn’t good, so the question is what are you really saving? Are you really going to pull the new actuators out and put the old ones BACK in and wait for them to fail then do the whole thing again a year from now? If not then what’s the point of letting in unfiltered air
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

You might consider replacing the temp sensor also if you're doing the thermostat. That's what I did when I replaced my thermostat & water pump earlier this year. It's not an expensive part and it's right on top of the thermostat housing, it takes seconds to replace if you're already in there. Obviously, this isn't going to make or break anything, just a suggestion
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #7
steven_s
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

lol funny, my car is going through the exact same thing; TA and thermostat
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 08:48 AM   #8
Chris_08_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
Why would you want to? Unfiltered air isn’t good, so the question is what are you really saving? Are you really going to pull the new actuators out and put the old ones BACK in and wait for them to fail then do the whole thing again a year from now? If not then what’s the point of letting in unfiltered air
I just wanted to start to car to see if the limp mode and error messages disappeared. Anways I put it all together before starting because I did not want unfiltered air coming in.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #9
Chris_08_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTime View Post
You might consider replacing the temp sensor also if you're doing the thermostat. That's what I did when I replaced my thermostat & water pump earlier this year. It's not an expensive part and it's right on top of the thermostat housing, it takes seconds to replace if you're already in there. Obviously, this isn't going to make or break anything, just a suggestion
I actually did not end up doing the thermostat. Once I got the actuators in I started plugging in all the electrical, tightening up all the bolts and then one thing lead to another I had the engine all back together! I figure I have to go back in their at some point this year because I noticed the valve cover has a leak and then I'll do the thermostat, sensor and water pump at that time. Maybe even the belts and hoses...you can go crazy here.

But anyways I am happy to report the car works great now, error codes and limp mode went away. All I had to do was clear the check engine light and then I was done.

Honestly the hardest part of the hold whole thing was getting some electrical unplugged/reconnected and getting the plenum seated properly.
Appreciate 2
Abdul1037.50
DreamTime864.50
      07-21-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I actually did not end up doing the thermostat. Once I got the actuators in I started plugging in all the electrical, tightening up all the bolts and then one thing lead to another I had the engine all back together! I figure I have to go back in their at some point this year because I noticed the valve cover has a leak and then I'll do the thermostat, sensor and water pump at that time. Maybe even the belts and hoses...you can go crazy here.
Yeah, I think I'm going to do my valve cover gaskets before too long too. I was also planning on doing my cooling system hoses this winter, although I was pleasantly surprised at how well they had held up when I was messing with some of them during the wp/thermostat job.

Quote:
But anyways I am happy to report the car works great now, error codes and limp mode went away. All I had to do was clear the check engine light and then I was done.

Honestly the hardest part of the hold whole thing was getting some electrical unplugged/reconnected and getting the plenum seated properly.
good job man! That is awesome! At some point, I know my TAs will crap out and I'll need to do this. Thankfully, I have helped a friend do this work on his E92 so I'm pretty familiar with the process. I agree - one of the harder parts was unplugging/reconnecting all those parts of the wiring harness. All those little connectors really need to be handled with care.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #11
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, I think I'm going to do my valve cover gaskets before too long too. I was also planning on doing my cooling system hoses this winter, although I was pleasantly surprised at how well they had held up when I was messing with some of them during the wp/thermostat job.

good job man! That is awesome! At some point, I know my TAs will crap out and I'll need to do this. Thankfully, I have helped a friend do this work on his E92 so I'm pretty familiar with the process. I agree - one of the harder parts was unplugging/reconnecting all those parts of the wiring harness. All those little connectors really need to be handled with care.
I did mine without unplugging the wire harness at all, I think I unplugged one or two plugs to gain a lil room. Not that it’s at all easy to get them out but it’s an option
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 08:37 AM   #12
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I did mine without unplugging the wire harness at all, I think I unplugged one or two plugs to gain a lil room. Not that it’s at all easy to get them out but it’s an option
Cool... well, maybe when it comes time to do mine you can drive down from Boston and show me/help
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 09:48 AM   #13
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Cool... well, maybe when it comes time to do mine you can drive down from Boston and show me/help
Sounds like a plan, drinks are on you tho
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #14
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like a plan, drinks are on you tho
Lol, that seems fair
Appreciate 0