BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

08-14-2014, 12:40 PM   #45
Ludey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbembas_M3 View Post
What Zaino do you use? I use Z2 and Z5 then the spray seal. Works great!
Once a year, I strip (with Dawn), then claybar. I'll then use the all in one, buff it, then do it again with Z2, then spray seal. I'll try to get another coat of Z2 on there within a week's time

Then, throughout the year, I'll use Z2 for the most part since I don't have any swirl marks, but I'd be alternating Z2 and Z5 if I did. I use the spray sealer after every wash as well. I find that this method makes it actually *less* work to keep the car clean - I can wash / wax / buff / spray seal in less than an hour if the car is already coated with it and the humidity is low enough for it to dry quickly. Use very sparingly for best results.

I love the Zaino products and methods - been using it exclusively for 15+ years and experimenting with other products on my other cars. There are a couple other products I'd like to try but they are only available to detailers (making it hard to get and keep getting) and ridiculously expensive (can't remember the name of it though).
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #46
Rbembas_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludey View Post
Once a year, I strip (with Dawn), then claybar. I'll then use the all in one, buff it, then do it again with Z2, then spray seal. I'll try to get another coat of Z2 on there within a week's time

Then, throughout the year, I'll use Z2 for the most part since I don't have any swirl marks, but I'd be alternating Z2 and Z5 if I did. I use the spray sealer after every wash as well. I find that this method makes it actually *less* work to keep the car clean - I can wash / wax / buff / spray seal in less than an hour if the car is already coated with it and the humidity is low enough for it to dry quickly. Use very sparingly for best results.

I love the Zaino products and methods - been using it exclusively for 15+ years and experimenting with other products on my other cars. There are a couple other products I'd like to try but they are only available to detailers (making it hard to get and keep getting) and ridiculously expensive (can't remember the name of it though).
You are right I also love Zaino yes it's takes time but after it easy wash and dry and she is beautiful. I pretty much follow your process, but i do have some swirl and use Z5 first. After using the spray seal do you buff it out? It seems to leave a haze? The direction say spray and let dry.

2011 M3 Coupe,Jerez Black,DCT,EDC,DSC
2010 X5 30i Black
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #47
benha
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Waterblade then waffle drying towel from Griots.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #48
bigfy39
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46 328ci

+1 on using Master Blaster to avoid scratches while drying
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #49
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 and 435i xDrive M-Sport

Microfiber Madness: Dry Me Crazy
Towel
      10-14-2014, 12:03 AM   #50
fastmike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa1 View Post
Towel
This is an awesome towel and holds a lot of water. Just wash it first to remove as it has a lot of lint!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #51
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 and 435i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa1 View Post
Towel
This is an awesome towel and holds a lot of water. Just wash it first to remove as it has a lot of lint!
Yes, it's a great towel. Very absorbent and soft.
      10-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #52
v1per
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2008

Before I tried using leaf blower, but did not like it a lot (very loud). Now I use wafle microfiber towel, and I think it works better via doing it by hand.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 03:14 PM   #53
LIMITLESS_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: N.A. stroker candidate

I think it's not as much "what do you use to dry your car" than what hydrophobic washing solution do you use BEFORE that to make drying perfect.

Answer: Optimum no rinse diluted in water (very little solution and a lot of water)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 12:30 AM   #54
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Ultimate

A Leaf Blower is the answer followed by a two minute once over with a Micro.

The LB gets the h2o out of the mirrors, seams, wheels (lugs) and tires and lets you finish with sealer and tire dressing in no time.

Faster and more efficient imho!

Cheers

Current ///M: 2017 M3 Ultimate
Past ///M Cars: E92 M3 ZCP 'CDN LRP' … E85 Z4M-R ... E92 M3 ZCP Frozen ... E90 M3 ... E46 M3 Cab ... E46 M3 ZCP ... E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 06:21 PM   #55
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirsm3 View Post
Indeed. Leaf blower ftw. It's loud, but whatever.
Stihl Backpack leaf blower - FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 06:48 PM   #56
w0ady
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
+1 for leaf blower followed by microfiber drying towel.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic273443_2.gif
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 06:31 AM   #57
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

I have used a Stihl backpack leaf blower, in addition to the Stihl electric leaf blower. These work, to some extent, but nothing works like this:

https://www.metrovacworld.com/Air_Fo...B-3CD/overview

Some time ago I posted a similar question, and one of the most trusted vendors on this board, Mike Benvo recommended the MetroBlaster. I ordered one last week, and was able to use it on Saturday. I washed three cars on Saturday morning, my C4S, M3 and my SO's A7. The MetroBlaster is nothing short of phenomenal, it drys the car completely. So now I have a lot of spare microfiber towels!!

Jokes aside, I was skeptical, but after using this tool, I am impressed. I am your typical OCD car owner, so want you to realize that it had to be perfect for me to be satisfied. It's that and more, plus the time savings simply can't be beaten. The initial outlay was in the $350 range. This device has completed my inventory of detailing tools, so I paid a similar amount for my Flex Orbital, but I will get more use out of the MetroBlaster.

Typically, after a car wash, I spent time drying the door jambs, under the hood, engine and trunk jambs. That process with the MetroBlaster took under a minute. I do not endorse products on this board, unless they work as advertised, or are useful, knowing how we are about our beloved M's. Hope that this helps!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 04:55 AM   #58
Azurite M5
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Comp Pack

Not sure if you guys have these in the US but they are the best and most absorbable drying towel I've ever used and super soft to help avoid swirls and scratches
http://www.waxit.com.au/collections/...h-drying-towel
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 11:38 PM   #59
Manda Mew
Dog Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT M3

I started using a leaf blower recently. Its really loud so I wear really cool pink shooting headphones! I go over with spray wax while making sure I get all the water spots off. Then sonax polymer net shield to make water bead off super easily for the next time I use the leaf blower. I want to take a video doing it because it looks really cool. But I think I'm going to add a drying aid spray before the wax to help get rid of the water spots which I'm having trouble with.

PS I wish this detailing section was more active!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 12:17 PM   #60
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda Mew View Post
I started using a leaf blower recently. Its really loud so I wear really cool pink shooting headphones! I go over with spray wax while making sure I get all the water spots off. Then sonax polymer net shield to make water bead off super easily for the next time I use the leaf blower. I want to take a video doing it because it looks really cool. But I think I'm going to add a drying aid spray before the wax to help get rid of the water spots which I'm having trouble with.

PS I wish this detailing section was more active!
use sonax brilliant shine detailer for helping with the drying of the car. it's really a spray wax but called a detailer. polymer netshield and brilliant shine detailer is an insane combo in terms of beading and looks. you'll get great protection from it too.

this section is actually not that bad compared to other forums. compared to a dedicated detailing forum then yea it's pretty dead. i see this section for people to come and get help for detailing issues they have never come across.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #61
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I just tried out leaf blower last wash and wax on wife's new sportwagen. Worked well just followed up with those yellow chamois towels.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #62
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
use sonax brilliant shine detailer for helping with the drying of the car. it's really a spray wax but called a detailer. polymer netshield and brilliant shine detailer is an insane combo in terms of beading and looks. you'll get great protection from it too.

this section is actually not that bad compared to other forums. compared to a dedicated detailing forum then yea it's pretty dead. i see this section for people to come and get help for detailing issues they have never come across.
RJD, have a couple of PNS bottles on their way in, looking forward to try it out. So how often do you apply the PNS?
Been playing around with the Brilliant Shine but not convinced (instead been using Sonax "deep polish gloss" here and there to keep finish in place). You use the Brilliant Shine after each wash? And do you simply dry of the paint with a microfiber with some on? (haven't really agreed with the slight "stickiness" the Shine make but maybe doing it wrong).

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 01:32 PM   #63
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
RJD, have a couple of PNS bottles on their way in, looking forward to try it out. So how often do you apply the PNS?
Been playing around with the Brilliant Shine but not convinced (instead been using Sonax "deep polish gloss" here and there to keep finish in place). You use the Brilliant Shine after each wash? And do you simply dry of the paint with a microfiber with some on? (haven't really agreed with the slight "stickiness" the Shine make but maybe doing it wrong).

Thanks
PNS is a sealant so you only need to apply in theory every six months which are the manufacturer claims for durability. Try to read up on application because it is a little tricky. Key is to apply in small sections and buff off pretty immediately. The effort is worth it trust me.

Then on your next wash I would wash the car as you normally do then use a leaf blower to get the water out of the nooks and crannies. Leaf blower should eliminate ~80-90% of the water on the car. Then spray the brilliant shine detailer on the paint and wipe up with your drying mf towel.

You don't need to apply the detailer every wash, but for someone like me who washes their car once every few months (garaged/weekend driven) then I would do it every wash. If you wash your car regularly I would use it every other wash. Make sure to be applying both the detailer and PNS out of the sun in a cooler environment. The directions on each bottle should be sufficient.

The results will speak for themselves
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 01:47 PM   #64
katchup
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

I use a sham wow lol
Individual Hellrot ZCP E92 M3(sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 02:16 PM   #65
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
PNS is a sealant so you only need to apply in theory every six months which are the manufacturer claims for durability. Try to read up on application because it is a little tricky. Key is to apply in small sections and buff off pretty immediately. The effort is worth it trust me.

Then on your next wash I would wash the car as you normally do then use a leaf blower to get the water out of the nooks and crannies. Leaf blower should eliminate ~80-90% of the water on the car. Then spray the brilliant shine detailer on the paint and wipe up with your drying mf towel.

You don't need to apply the detailer every wash, but for someone like me who washes their car once every few months (garaged/weekend driven) then I would do it every wash. If you wash your car regularly I would use it every other wash. Make sure to be applying both the detailer and PNS out of the sun in a cooler environment. The directions on each bottle should be sufficient.

The results will speak for themselves
Thanks mate, I'll give it a go and report back.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 07:01 PM   #66
dpilat8588
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
electric leaf blower here...THE LESS YOU TOUCH YOUR PAINT, THE LESS LIKELY YOU ARE TO DAMAGE YOUR PAINT
Appreciate 0