BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

07-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
yoons2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 Coupe

Engine oil change & some recommendation

Hey guys,

I own E92 M3 and was wondering how often you guys change your engine oil. I normally change mine every 6,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. This time, I am planning to change the oil because it's been a year, although I only drove it for 2,000 miles.

I also wonder whether you guys know any good places that you want to recommend to change the engine oil around the DC area, excluding any BMW dealerships. I used to go to BMW Rockville for services, but ever since the ownership changed, the prices are ridiculous! They now charge for the oil service (only changing oil & oil filter) without updating the service indicator for $350. Before the ownership change, they charged around $230 (without updating the service indicator). So I decided not to change it there.

Please suggest me if you guys know any reliable (and professional) places to get the service done.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

I changed mine at J&F in Arlington, VA. It comes out cheaper than any dealer. The cheapest oil change kit can be ordered at BMW Fairfax online website.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852339

BMW of Alexandria quoted me $300 recently, though I swear they quoted me $245 about 6 months ago.

In terms of oil change intervals, there's a lot of threads on this on the the main forum's Maintenance sub-forum, which has a lot of debate on mileage etc. But given that your car is really low miles (I assume you drive less thank 10k a year?), an annual change is sufficient. btw I drove about 7500 last year myself, so you and I are on the same boat.

Last edited by mdosu; 07-08-2013 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
I change mine every ~7500 miles.

Also, use the search feature and/or google. The topic of recommended shops have been discussed before. Plenty of threads on the subject, both here and in the e90 section.
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

I assume you're out of warranty so try an independent shop: BMW Excluservice in Rockville, RRT in Dulles, AtSpeed Motorsports in Hanover

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

9 Qts of 10W-60 from Dealer w/CCA discount = $12 x9 = $108
Oil Filter w/CCA Discount = $17
Total for Parts alone = $125

I cannot justify paying another $125 for labor when the oil change usually takes only 30 min or less on a lift.

My local gas station has done oil changes for 3 E9x M3s and charged them only $20 (this is bringing parts to them)

Total Cost=$145.

Changing oil is not rocket science.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
9 Qts of 10W-60 from Dealer w/CCA discount = $12 x9 = $108
Oil Filter w/CCA Discount = $17
Total for Parts alone = $125

I cannot justify paying another $125 for labor when the oil change usually takes only 30 min or less on a lift.

My local gas station has done oil changes for 3 E9x M3s and charged them only $20 (this is bringing parts to them)

Total Cost=$145.

Changing oil is not rocket science.
which service station is this?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
which service station is this?
Considering you're in NoVa-check with your local gas station shop (Sunoco, Shell etc..) For them-an oil change is routine so you shouldn't be paying more than $20 (if you bring the oil + filter). They have all the necessary tools and of course-you can inspect their work live to make sure all is according to par (unlike a dealer that won't allow you in their shop )

Read up on the tools used per the oil change DIY guide before you go (in case their tech is newbie to the M3). I've done this with my previous E46 M3 for years with no issues..not sure why more people never did it.

Simply drain-fill-and go. Get the dealer out of the equation.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Considering you're in NoVa-check with your local gas station shop (Sunoco, Shell etc..) For them-an oil change is routine so you shouldn't be paying more than $20 (if you bring the oil + filter). They have all the necessary tools and of course-you can inspect their work live to make sure all is according to par (unlike a dealer that won't allow you in their shop )

Read up on the tools used per the oil change DIY guide before you go (in case their tech is newbie to the M3). I've done this with my previous E46 M3 for years with no issues..not sure why more people never did it.

Simply drain-fill-and go. Get the dealer out of the equation.
i use to do that with my old car (Evo 8). Went to local indy service stations, had them do the change on front of me...but I just felt like I as hassling them when I'm sticking my nose in there. But sometimes the guy doing the change is a car nut and you can strike a conversation.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i use to do that with my old car (Evo 8). Went to local indy service stations, had them do the change on front of me...but I just felt like I as hassling them when I'm sticking my nose in there. But sometimes the guy doing the change is a car nut and you can strike a conversation.
Yes. Most shops (especially gas stations) really don't care if you stick your nose in. Heck-if anything you can see what they do at arm's length.

With BMWs and cars like the M3-people need to stop treating it like a delicate gold clock.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
Pat@sonictuning
Major General
Rep
Drives: Porsche 996 Turbo

DIY!! Oil change is not hard and will save you money and time!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes. Most shops (especially gas stations) really don't care if you stick your nose in. Heck-if anything you can see what they do at arm's length.

With BMWs and cars like the M3-people need to stop treating it like a delicate gold clock.
hmm..likely will take the M3 to my trusty Alrington Autocare shop next time!

To be honest, I just need to point to them and say, "see here? drain the front sump in addition to the oil pan, please use a Torex, and please tighten by hand".
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat@sonictuning View Post
while I 100% agree and that was my plan a month ago, and then this happened:

1. my drain bolt started to strip b/c BMW service center overtightened it with a wrench
2. a few of us live in those apartment/condo highrises and working on a car in those cramp, poor air circulation conditions is problematic, and usually against building rules.
3. this car is way too low to work under, and a full assortment of jacks, stands, and ramps are needed to get the job done.

I use to change my oil myself all the time on the old car, then realized why am I doing all of it when you can pay a shop no more than $40 labor to do it...like what checkmate said, stop treating it like a fragile gold clock, it's not difficult for anyone to unbolt/unscrew 4 items, screw them back in, then pour oil...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
Pat@sonictuning
Major General
Rep
Drives: Porsche 996 Turbo

Quote:
while I 100% agree and that was my plan a month ago, and then this happened:

1. my drain bolt started to strip b/c BMW service center overtightened it with a wrench
2. a few of us live in those apartment/condo highrises and working on a car in those cramp, poor air circulation conditions is problematic, and usually against building rules.
3. this car is way too low to work under, and a full assortment of jacks, stands, and ramps are needed to get the job done.

I use to change my oil myself all the time on the old car, then realized why am I doing all of it when you can pay a shop no more than $40 labor to do it...like what checkmate said, stop treating it like a fragile gold clock, it's not difficult for anyone to unbolt/unscrew 4 items, screw them back in, then pour oil...
This is very true. Where in NOVA are you? There is a DIY shop that has lifts in Sterling that I am a member of.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '12 Q5 2.0T, '06 Miata

Garage List
I don't have a M3, but I recently got my 1M's oil changed at BMW of Silver Spring for roughly $90 with a coupon. I didn't even have to present the coupon - I just mentioned it and they gave me the discount. The 1M's oil change procedure is the same as the 135i so it is cheaper than the M3, but I don't think the coupon was limited to non-M models so you should give them a call to see if they will honor it for your M3.
2011 1M | Valencia Orange | #655 of 740
BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance Shadowline Grills | Gloss black iND side markers
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #15
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
This is very true. Where in NOVA are you? There is a DIY shop that has lifts in Sterling that I am a member of.
Ballston metro, I'm aware of that shop, I think you PMd me a while back about it...

I posted this class with access to a lift that's also a possiblity, it's essentially an easier way to access a lift, but you need to plan to do a few installs to get it to be worth the cost b/c you're paying a flat rate of $180 for 8 sessions:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812991

Last edited by mdosu; 07-09-2013 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #16
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_Prime View Post
I don't have a M3, but I recently got my 1M's oil changed at BMW of Silver Spring for roughly $90 with a coupon. I didn't even have to present the coupon - I just mentioned it and they gave me the discount. The 1M's oil change procedure is the same as the 135i so it is cheaper than the M3, but I don't think the coupon was limited to non-M models so you should give them a call to see if they will honor it for your M3.
thanks, aware of it already. it was limited to non-M cars and limited in quantity of oil.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #17
nujabes24
Forever Rest In Beats
Rep
Drives: 2014 MW M4

Quote:
+1 I mean seriously after a while you would want to do it yourself. IT's fun and usually after that you start working on all your car problems alone. After learning how to change my low fuel pressure sensor by the help of one of the members anything that comes up i try doing it myself after research.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #18
dsarv1sarv
Lurker, mostly.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

For the guys who are DIY-ing their oil changes: could you recommend a specific set of ramps that you use? Given the low clearance of our cars, I'm concerned about being able to get up on ramps without scraping the bottom.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #19
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsarv1sarv View Post
For the guys who are DIY-ing their oil changes: could you recommend a specific set of ramps that you use? Given the low clearance of our cars, I'm concerned about being able to get up on ramps without scraping the bottom.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850279
Appreciate 0