BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
Should be Working
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Convertible Silver Grey

At last - I've sat in it and have some truths!!

Guys

Just got back from my local dealer who has 2 cars in - one melbourne red with black leather and the other jerez black with fox red leather.

I can confirm the following:

Jerez black is very very similar to carbon black and the only difference I can see is that it has more metallic fleck in the paint with a purple hue. It is definitely not purple paint and looks very black. As with cabon black it looks amazing under sunlight.

Fox red leather is not my taste at all. I used to have a carbon black and imola red e46 and I though the combination was fantastic. Fox red has obviously been named after it's namesake. Imagine the colour of a fox's fur and you are pretty close - alternatively a ginger cat or a bad faded tan leather holdall! To me it looks better in the photograph.

The steering wheel is not too thick. It is a bit thicker than the e46, but not too thick and I love it! :rocks:

The seating position is not too high either. I set the seat position to it's lowest setting and it seemed at least as low as my e46 convertible (current car) I had jumped straight from that, into the E92 and then back into the E46, so I had a good chance to compare. :rocks:

The old lights around the rev counter have been replaced with an analogue movement that swings from the right hand side of the rev counter when you turn on the ignition up to the recommended revs for oil temperature. Difficult to explain but I hope you get the idea. :rocks:

I think certain journalists are out to cause a bit of bother with this car and, without having driven the car, disagree with some of the negative comments (as mentioned above) that I have heard so far.

I only had my camera phone but hopefully these shots will help:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
EBuyuk
Private
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Awesome. How is the contrast between the jerez black and the carbon fiber roof?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 SS Camaro

I am a bit confused as how the redline works.... When you first start the car the tach moves to the recommended redline???
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Thanks for posting. One question for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Should be Working View Post
The steering wheel is not too thick. It is a bit thicker than the e46, but not too thick and I love it! :rocks:
Do you know how the wheel compares to the one that comes with the sport package on normal E9x 3 series? That wheel is also thicker than the one on my M3, but does not feel too thick either.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
Should be Working
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBuyuk View Post
Awesome. How is the contrast between the jerez black and the carbon fiber roof?
Obviously there is not as much contrast as with the lighter colours, but I thought it looked great. The weave in the carbon fibre looked quite pronounced and as the sunlight hit it. You would definitely not mistake it for something else!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 10:38 AM   #6
marksch123
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 Cabrio

thanks for post. What's your oppinion of melbourne red paint color?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 10:40 AM   #7
Should be Working
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownM3 View Post
I am a bit confused as how the redline works.... When you first start the car the tach moves to the recommended redline???
It moves when you turn on the ignition and remains there as you start the car. it will then move as the engine / oil heats up to operating temperature until you can take it to the redline (run-in notwithstanding)
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 10:42 AM   #8
Should be Working
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Thanks for posting. One question for you:

Do you know how the wheel compares to the one that comes with the sport package on normal E9x 3 series? That wheel is also thicker than the one on my M3, but does not feel too thick either.
Not sure! I have driven an E92 335 sport and the steering wheel thickness didn't occur to me, so I would imagine the M3 may be slightly thicker.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #9
Should be Working
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksch123 View Post
thanks for post. What's your oppinion of melbourne red paint color?
I didn't like the magazine pictures of it, but as with so many things about this car, it looked so much better in the metal. It didn't look overtly metalic and
the shade of the paint looked like what I would describe as slightly pastel.

I'm not a great fan of red cars but, having seen it, I would consider it one of the better shades of red available on a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 11:20 AM   #10
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 SS Camaro

Quote:
It moves when you turn on the ignition and remains there as you start the car. it will then move as the engine / oil heats up to operating temperature until you can take it to the redline (run-in notwithstanding)
Cool, I can't wait to see this in person. Thanks for the post!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 11:50 AM   #11
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Nice report.
      09-04-2007, 11:56 AM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

So Fox Red is the "new" Cinammon dipped in Imola Red?

Thanks for the picture of the Jerez Black, it really looks like Carbon Black with more Carbon...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 03:00 PM   #13
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Cinnamon is/was pimp. Can't wait to see Fox Red.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 03:38 PM   #14
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Hmmmm. Is there some kind of conspiracy to drive me nuts, waiting for a GREAT pic of Jerez Black?

Kidding- thanks for posting. It's good to see that BMW have chosen to continue with the orange peel paint jobs that I would so dearly miss if they should disappear....
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #15
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
Hmmmm. Is there some kind of conspiracy to drive me nuts, waiting for a GREAT pic of Jerez Black?
Look here
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81783

and here
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...t=74494&page=2

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 04:18 PM   #16
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
very nice, thanks for sharing~
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #17
Stahlgrau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Backwards

Quote:
Guys

Just got back from my local dealer who has 2 cars in - one melbourne red with black leather and the other jerez black with fox red leather.

I can confirm the following:

Jerez black is very very similar to carbon black and the only difference I can see is that it has more metallic fleck in the paint with a purple hue. It is definitely not purple paint and looks very black. As with cabon black it looks amazing under sunlight.

Fox red leather is not my taste at all. I used to have a carbon black and imola red e46 and I though the combination was fantastic. Fox red has obviously been named after it's namesake. Imagine the colour of a fox's fur and you are pretty close - alternatively a ginger cat or a bad faded tan leather holdall! To me it looks better in the photograph.

The seating position is not too high either. I set the seat position to it's lowest setting and it seemed at least as low as my e46 convertible (current car) I had jumped straight from that, into the E92 and then back into the E46, so I had a good chance to compare. :rocks:

The old lights around the rev counter have been replaced with an analogue movement that swings from the right hand side of the rev counter when you turn on the ignition up to the recommended revs for oil temperature. Difficult to explain but I hope you get the idea. :rocks:

I think certain journalists are out to cause a bit of bother with this car and, without having driven the car, disagree with some of the negative comments (as mentioned above) that I have heard so far.

I only had my camera phone but hopefully these shots will help:

Thanks for the report. So, I guess we can't take everything the journalists say as gospel. We can actually form opinions for ourselves. That's neat.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #18
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlgrau View Post
Thanks for the report. So, I guess we can't take everything the journalists say as gospel. We can actually form opinions for ourselves. That's neat.
Yes, only Audi Trolls take everything journalists say as gospel....
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #19
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
Yes, only Audi Trolls take everything journalists say as gospel....
They have been mysteriously absent. Can't say I miss them. What happened? Are they on some kind of Merc forum, bashing the AMG? Do they travel in packs?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 09:19 PM   #20
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Jason - thanks for the redirect, and thanks to JEllis for the original post.

Done deal. I love my Carbon Black e46. I am hoping to keep it, and put it up on the lift, above the e92. For me, Jerez Black wins. Can't wait
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 09:40 PM   #21
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Quote:
I didn't like the magazine pictures of it, but as with so many things about this car, it looked so much better in the metal. It didn't look overtly metalic and
the shade of the paint looked like what I would describe as slightly pastel.

I'm not a great fan of red cars but, having seen it, I would consider it one of the better shades of red available on a BMW.
Speaking of red, what current interior color would you say Fox Red looked most like? Terra? Auburn?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 04:15 AM   #22
Should be Working
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
Speaking of red, what current interior color would you say Fox Red looked most like? Terra? Auburn?
Can't say it looks much like any interior colour I have seem before. It is possible that the US market has some different choices from the UK though.

I thought it looked more of a faded dark orange than a red. If pushed I would say it was closest to cinammon, but a lighter, blander version.

Hope this helps!

p.s. I may be able to get a high res photo of this interior later today, so I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0