BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-05-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
sojirovs
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 zcp m3, 04 s2000

Budget track setup

I just had my first track session with M3 2 weeks ago which I had a blast, the only change was Motul brake fluid to find out what I need for next track day.
I plan to track 4 time per year under 90F degree. My main concern is to have fun at track while safe and improve my driving skill.
I have prioritized my needs, can you guys review please? If you think I need to modify the order, I'd appreciate any inputs.

1. Schroth Quickfit pro (4 point) - My body was sliding left and right at every corner, even with max side bolster. Definitely getting this.
2. Brake fluid - done with Motul. Will use Castrol next time. Brake felt mushy towards the end of each session (around @12-13 min / 20 minutes per session). Endless seems to be better, but I'll try Castrol first.
3. SS line - many say it's not needed. Hold off as of now
4. Brake - plan on ordering Project Mu HC-CS pads, but many say going with BBK front only will save more money in long run... This is the hardest decision among all. Should I try pads first?
5. Rod bearing - plan on doing next summer as car is still under CPO.

#1-4 I think they are necessity before next session and #6-7 plan to do by next spring #8-10 no plan yet

6. Rims - Wish I had just a little bit more traction but stock size MPS4S was good enough. Considering Apex rims. Debating: leaning toward staggered 19' 265/285 because they look better than square, but considering 18' 275 square to save money on rubber. I'm not sure how they'll look on stock zcp suspension.
7. Mode carbon GT wing and front lip - any alternative GT wing at this size (I'd prefer small size GT wing) with less price? I saw many other vendors sell front lips at cheaper price, do they hold well at track?
8. Coilover - I was surprised with stock zcp MDM. I found no needs to upgrade yet.
9. Cooler - engine oil and/or DCT? Is this necessary at my skill level?
10. Euro MDM and/or DCT tune?
Anything else to add? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I run Project Mu HC-CS on track. It is a pretty good pad and can handle some serious heat. I don't see a need for a BBK if you're running street tires. I'm also running Castrol SRF. It is good but towards the end of the session it will feel mushy. But after cooling off, the brake fluid recovers. Endless will have less of the mushy feeling and give you a stiffer pedal but Castrol is slightly cheaper. I usually run Project Mu G four which is kinda between Endless and Castrol.. Switched to Castrol this time as it is easier to find.

I am running stainless steel lines... but the only reason I changed is because my front brake line failed and it was leaking fluid. Too many heat cycles from track use cracked the rubber hose.

I agree the stock seats really suck. I will probably get a more supportive aftermarket seat soon.
      11-05-2018, 12:10 PM   #3
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

1.quick fit pro...make sure it's the pro (and if you're sedan, make sure it's the e90 version)
2. SS lines, good track pads, Castrol SRF (I use Endless now with BBK but had oem brakes before)
3. done.....for now. haha

If you're going to use stock suspension, remove the camber pins and just get as much camber as you can.
      11-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #4
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

i'm also just starting out (done 3 events so far), i have only done:

- SS brake line (to be honest really not feeling much difference)
- stoptech street performance hybrid bads. it's easier to modulate but from what i know still has easy to over heat as stock. but with my driving i think it's ok for now.
- castrol SRF (no issue with brakes so far)

next i'm thinking about schroth 4 point... really tiring to brace the body. still haven't decided 100% to do rod bearing or not for now (although past weekend i just met someone in VIR experience blow RB lately in his 40k LRP e92... inching me a little more of doing it).

all other stuff... i don't think matter yet at my skill level... no rush to poor the money in yet i feel
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 01:49 PM   #5
sojirovs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I run Project Mu HC-CS on track. It is a pretty good pad and can handle some serious heat. I don't see a need for a BBK if you're running street tires. I'm also running Castrol SRF. It is good but towards the end of the session it will feel mushy. But after cooling off, the brake fluid recovers. Endless will have less of the mushy feeling and give you a stiffer pedal but Castrol is slightly cheaper. I usually run Project Mu G four which is kinda between Endless and Castrol.. Switched to Castrol this time as it is easier to find.

I am running stainless steel lines... but the only reason I changed is because my front brake line failed and it was leaking fluid. Too many heat cycles from track use cracked the rubber hose.

I agree the stock seats really suck. I will probably get a more supportive aftermarket seat soon.
Who did you order pad through? I contacted EAS, it's taking forever to get a respond.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 01:53 PM   #6
sojirovs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncheung View Post
i'm also just starting out (done 3 events so far), i have only done:

- SS brake line (to be honest really not feeling much difference)
- stoptech street performance hybrid bads. it's easier to modulate but from what i know still has easy to over heat as stock. but with my driving i think it's ok for now.
- castrol SRF (no issue with brakes so far)

next i'm thinking about schroth 4 point... really tiring to brace the body. still haven't decided 100% to do rod bearing or not for now (although past weekend i just met someone in VIR experience blow RB lately in his 40k LRP e92... inching me a little more of doing it).

all other stuff... i don't think matter yet at my skill level... no rush to poor the money in yet i feel
I'm really with you 4 point is a must and will slowly modify as I think I "need" than want.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 02:09 PM   #7
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Sounds like I'm just a little ahead of you in the track process so I thought I would respond with what I've learned in this brief time. Disclaimer - not a lot of experience though...

Upgraded stopping was my first priority too, being stable followed soon after -

Quick Fit Pro - definitely agree sliding around gets really old really fast. I bought a used set and planned to use it until I went to harnesses, cage, seats, etc. Actually made the jump much quicker than expected so never installed but they look like a pretty solid step up from the 3 points.

Brakes - another option you might look at are the PFC DD v3 rotors. After seeing them recommended in another thread I gave them a shot & been happy with them. Combined with PFC 11 pads (front & rear), Castrol SRF, & stainless lines have not had any issues with fade.

I also added vorshlag camber plates & went ahead & changed the rod bearings at the beginning. I would recommend the DCT tune & Euro MDM now as well for the enjoyment factor. Lap recorders & video are fun to have too - not chasing times but cool to have confirmation of progress & video to repeatedly bore all your family & friends with (if you are like me). Oh - exhaust - don't forget the exhaust

Everything else to me is address as needed. Once I feel like my skills have grown to where something on the car is holding me back then that is when I will make changes.

Here is how my progression went (not saying this is the best way just how I've done it) -
Before any track time - brakes, camber plates, rod bearings, wheel studs, 18x10 square set up with Dunlop Direzza III
After first track day - DCT flash & Euro MDM
After next track day (full weekend at COTA ) - do88 full cooling kit (just DCT was overheating but went with full kit now). Also ordered seats, half cage, 6 pt harnesses, etc - both instructors I've had so far told me I was at the point that I needed to step up the safety significantly
Couple more track days since - no change, waiting for the safety items to be delivered & installed

Also if you haven't already seen it Edge Addicts has an event at MSR Cresson Nov 17-19

And instructors are awesome if you have access to them.

Good helmet & neck restraint system as well.

TL, DR: Stopping & safety first - awesome start! Everything else as needed. Coming from a newb though...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #8
sojirovs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktx View Post

TL, DR: Stopping & safety first - awesome start! Everything else as needed. Coming from a newb though...
How soon will you get your safety parts so that I can buy your quick fit pro?
I need to do some more research of your brake setup.
I now have a track app and mount!
Exhaust/intake - done already.
Do you use 18 square setup as your daily or just track dedicated?
I'll need to buy a DD before I order seats, can't wait my skill gets to that level.
How much different did you feel from Euro MDM at track and/or street?
When I used to track with s2k, I found myself 2 days track event were so exhausting lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #9
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
If you plan on having instructors in your car, make sure you give them equal safety equipment.
Appreciate 3
OG Shark4656.00
PACarGuy646.00
      11-05-2018, 04:06 PM   #10
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojirovs View Post
How soon will you get your safety parts so that I can buy your quick fit pro?
I need to do some more research of your brake setup.
I now have a track app and mount!
Do you use 18 square setup as your daily or just track dedicated?
I'll need to buy a DD before I order seats, can't wait my skill gets to that level.
How much different did you feel from Euro MDM at track and/or street?
When I used to track with s2k, I found myself 2 days track event were so exhausting lol.
How soon will you get your safety parts so that I can buy your quick fit pro? Never ended up installing them since I made the decision to go on the other stuff right after I picked them up. If you are really interested I'll send you pics of them.
I need to do some more research of your brake setup. Good set up w/decent entry price point - if you are swapping between street & track pads often a BBK still might be the way to go though
I now have a track app and mount! Next step is the camera. Seriously, annoying your wife/SO by repeatedly playing videos of track days with an mic on the exhaust never gets old. You know, for research purposes
Do you use 18 square setup as your daily or just track dedicated? Track dedicated - seen very little street time but handled well when did. I would have zero problems running them on the street full time. Aesthetics, performance, comfort all pretty good imo. Spacers would probably look better but I prefer not to run them unless needed.
I'll need to buy a DD before I order seats, can't wait my skill gets to that level. Definitely understand that - I'm going with seats that have halos so going to be track dedicated. Would be a different story if a DD.
How much different did you feel from Euro MDM at track and/or street? I had to have MDM retrofitted on my car (non mdrive 09 w/no M button) so I went straight to euro MDM. Not the best comparison but it's definitely less intrusive than the US spec MDM on a F80 that I used to have so... Happy with it in the wet which seems to be everyday the last couple of months (which is exactly what I wanted it for).
When I used to track with s2k, I found myself 2 days track event were so exhausting lol. Yeah I was pretty wiped out after those 2 days. If it is out of town though I'm going to try to get at least a couple of days in. Going to do all three days at Cresson so I probably won't be able to move for a few days afterwards
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #11
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
If you plan on having instructors in your car, make sure you give them equal safety equipment.
100% agree with this - personally if I was an instructor and the passenger's safety equipment wasn't at least equal to the driver's I wouldn't get in.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 04:21 PM   #12
sojirovs
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm running solo, I got no love for additional 200 pounds j/k
I should consider that too in case anyone wants to hop in my car
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 04:34 PM   #13
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Who did you order pad through? I contacted EAS, it's taking forever to get a respond.
Mackin has been out of the office all last week @ SEMA, with limited staff. We should have a reply for you shortly.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 04:36 PM   #14
sojirovs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Mackin has been out of the office all last week @ SEMA, with limited staff. We should have a reply for you shortly.
Yes just received PM!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #15
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
I ordered it direct from Japan. If you go through a American importer (most likely Mackin), it will take forever. PM me for details if you want to order direct from Japan.
      11-05-2018, 06:03 PM   #16
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Solid rear subframe bushings. Just tightens the entire chassis up.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 08:16 AM   #17
Azeka1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E86 M Coupe

Garage List
Looks like you're on the right track and can offer two suggestions:

1) Invest in an AIM SOLO DL (many of the Gen1's have come down in price) - Data will help you develop as a driver, how to fully optimize your current setup and what upgrades to invest in. Also, Predictive timing will give you instant feedback on what works and what doesn't while you're on track.

2) Try to get as many consumables from FCP Euro - FCP gives lifetime warranty on EVERYTHING they sell, even Fluids! So Motul 660, Track Pads (Hawk DTC60/70 is avail for E46/E86 M), OEM Rotors, Hubs and Control Arms are all a one-time cost. -- I have no bias or affliation with FCP, purely my opinion
1995 E36 M3 | BMW CCA Club Racer - IP #34 | Gray / Blue / Orange | 261WHP | 2,700lbs
2013 E92 M3 Competition 6MT Slick Top | AW / Fox Red |
2006 E86 M Coupe | Silver Gray / Imola | JRZ RSTWO | APR Aero | Sparco Seats/Belts | Weichers Cage
Gone: 2017 Audi Q7 | 2011 E93 328i 6MT | 2014 Audi A6 | 2010 VW CC 2.0T | 2011 G37 S Coupe 6MT | 2004 G35 Coupe | SW20 MR2 Widebody Turbo

Last edited by Azeka1; 11-06-2018 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #18
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

Quote:
this is a great great point... my friend (he was passenger) was just in a DE accident where the driver side has a halo seat but passenger side doesn't. he got airlifted to the hospital and driver walked... please treat other like you want to be treated...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #19
dbyrd
DSC Off!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Many track pads are fine at the intermediate level. I would recommend PFC-08s if you can get them, but what you're looking at is fine. Definitely, run them at the track, but switch back to street paid for daily usage.

I'm a huge proponent of brake ducting - especially on our cars. Ducting is nowhere as sexy as a BBK, but it goes a long way to reduce brake fade and increase pad life. Also, much more affordable. For now, you should not experience fade - maybe after a full session on the back straight at CoTA but doubtful on street tires.

Yes to the Quickfit Pro with Hans.

Camber plates are next on the list as this chassis really needs at least -3 degrees of camber up front. Without more camber, you'll be wearing the outside corners of your tires extremely quickly. Rear camber is fine at the limits of the street setting -1.8. Vorshlag is the best bet for camber plates, but a few other options are out there. Vorshlag is in Richardson so check them out.

I hope you're not solo'd after only one track event - maybe you were j/k. I may be instructing at MSR Cresson next weekend in my Silverstone e92 - look for me, and I'll give you a ride.

Cheers,
-Daniel
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s with MSI studs / Stoptech Trophy ST-60/ST-40 / Cantrell Motorsports Brake Duct Kit / Cobalt Friction XR1, XR2s or PFC-11 pads / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / Coolshirt with large bag / Aim SoloDL with SmartyCam / CSF Radiator

Last edited by dbyrd; 11-08-2018 at 06:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #20
sojirovs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyrd View Post

I'm a huge proponent of brake ducting - especially on our cars. Ducting is nowhere as sexy as a BBK, but it goes a long way to reduce brake fade and increase pad life. Also, much more affordable. For now, you should not experience fade - maybe after a full session on the back straight at CoTA but doubtful on street tires.

Camber plates are next on the list as this chassis really needs at least -3 degrees of camber up front.

I hope you're not solo'd after only one track event - maybe you were j/k. I may be instructing at MSR Cresson next weekend in my Silverstone e92 - look for me, and I'll give you a ride.

Cheers,
-Daniel
I will check out the brake duct and camber plates!
I was running solo before with my S2K and had instructor this time because it was my first time with M3 and I went with my buddies in different group.
We won't run until December 1st but I will look for you at future event. Thanks!

Last edited by sojirovs; 11-06-2018 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 03:44 PM   #21
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

This is how it starts

First you JUST need this and that, I'll be good
Next track day.... ok maybe just 2 more things

3rd track day you come back on slicks, cage , full aero, and divorced . Asking yourself how the fuck did I get here
Appreciate 4
OG Shark4656.00
Adrian g.243.50
PACarGuy646.00
Todd0131379.50
      11-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #22
Shmelgy
B.E.
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 1969 Mustang Fastback

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripclubDJ View Post
This is how it starts

First you JUST need this and that, I'll be good
Next track day.... ok maybe just 2 more things

3rd track day you come back on slicks, cage , full aero, and divorced . Asking yourself how the fuck did I get here
Wiser words have never been spoken.
Appreciate 1